Re: [S-R] Re: Ruska Vola nad Popradom church records

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 3, 2009
      Basia
      To further your knowledge, there is a difference between Slavish and Slavonic (used by the church).
      Old Church Slavonic, also known as Old Bulgarian[1][2][3][4][5], or Old Macedonian[6][7][8][5], was the first literary Slavic language, based on the old Solun dialect of the Thessalonica region by the 9th century Byzantine Greek[9] missionaries, Saints Cyril and Methodius, who used it for translation of the Bible and other Ancient Greek ecclesiastical texts, and for some of their own writings. It played a great role in the history of Slavic languages and served as a basis and a role-model for later Church Slavonic traditions, where Church Slavonic is used as a liturgical language to this day by some Orthodox and Greek-Catholic Churches of the Slavic peoples.
      Here is what Slavish is about, "creolized koine" is basically an academic phrase for a dialect.
      J. N. Bailey in the article "Old and New Views on Language History
      and Language Relationships" (1980), In Helmut Luedtke (ed.) Kommunikations-
      theoretische Grundlagen des Sprachwandels. Berlin:Walter de Gruyter) makes
      reference to an inter-Slavic Mischsprache in the U.S.: "An interesting
      phenomenon in America is the creolized koine created by factory-workers
      and miners of different Slavic origins which is called Slavish" (p. 156).
      If my recollection is correct I think there once was a discussion on Slovak-Roots about the term Slavish.
      Don't be embarrassed, all of us when we began our genealogical search have been exposed to so much new information and terms.
      As you see, there is always someone willing to educate you. It is much better to ask, because there are no "stupid questions".
      I'm sure someone will answer your question about "...the difference in the language of the Slavs and the Rusyns?"

      Message 34 of 34 , May 1, 2009
        Basia,
        I was just clearing out old emails and found yours.  Did you every hear from anyone named Conjelko other than me about Anna Chupinka?  Unfortunately, neither my husband know anything about his aunt-by-marriage.

        Charlotte