Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Getting to Fat City

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10, 2000
      At 08:57 PM 8/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >Oh, my goodness! Yes, my grandfather Jan Sajdak came in May, too!

      Missed by a month. My wife's grandparents arrived of the June trip. As I
      recall, the Lutherans are referred to as Evangelicals in the microfilms.

      John
    • BARBARA STRBAN
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2000
        Hi Ken,

        My husband's family is from Lazy pod Makytou which is only a short distance
        from Zariecie. Our family is Lutheran and I have copies of all the Lutheran
        records that the FHC filmed for Lazy. I could not resist making copies
        since our family seemed to be on every other page. Grandfather Strban left
        through Bremen traveling on the Koln. He worked for four years and sent
        money for Grandmother Strban and three children to leave. They traveled on
        the Wittekind; also through Bremen.

        I have a lovely picture of Zariecie taken from a hillside. Last summer we
        spent three weeks in Slovakia.

        The surnames that you listed on the bottom of your last post are not
        familiar to me, but perhaps I'll run across your names as I continue to look
        through the records of Lazy. They are only a few miles apart.

        Barbara Strban raybar@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2000
          I had that film but let it go back to Salt Lake when I had perused it
          thoroughly and copied what I wanted. Otherwise, I would be happy to look
          for your people.

          > Oh, my goodness! Yes, my grandfather Jan Sajdak came in May, too!
          >
          > Other additions as we go on...
          >
          > BTW, while I'll keep pitching answers regarding my family, I'm still
          hoping for
          > a general strategy or lead that hopefully can benefit lots of us on the
          list.

          > Andrea Vangor wrote:
          >
          > > Some of my guys travelled on the Prinzess Alice (sometimes written as
          > > Princess Alice) in 1907, arriving in May -- were yours on that trip?
          > >
          > > What you do next is figure out which religion(s) your people were, where
          > > they would have attended church in or near their home village or town,
          and
          > > order the appropriate microfilm(s) from the Family History Center, if
          they
          > > have filmed that region.
          >
          > My earlier question on FHC records provoled quite a flurry. My
          grandparents were
          > Lutheran. Don't know where they went to church (probably Mestecko or
          Zariecie)

          > > If your people were born as late as 1895 but not
          > > later, you can find their birth records, usually, and take the family
          back a
          > > century or more. There are baptismal, marriage, and death records
          > > available.
          >
          > Grandpa Jan was born in 1888, Grandma Eva (don't know what ship she came
          on) was
          > born in 1890.
          >
          > So, without Lutheran Records at the FHC, what's next?
          >
          > Ken

        • Ken Sajdak
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 2000

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 2000
              Please, keep me posted if you find their names....

              Also, were those records availabale through FHC?

              Thanks,

              Ken

            • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2000
                Perhaps it would be useful for list members to share the film numbers on
                indefinite loan currently at their FHC? I have access to:

                1794068 Torysa 1735-1835
                1792772 Krivany 1746-1857
                1794090 Olsov 1790-1857
                1739903 Spissky Hrusov 1713-1861
                1739885 Spissky Hrusov 1861-1896
                1792647 Livov, Bardejov 1789-1841
                1792648 Livov, Bardejov 1841-1895

                Please note - - - I know the films cover other locations, e.g. 1739903 includes
                Spissky Hrhov. I have only put in the name of the town I was interested in.
                Use the film number as your reference, go to the LDS site:

                http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=generalfilmsearch&columns=*%2C180%2C0

                to find the film number you are interested in. I will look up your requests if
                you can provide a specific name and range of dates. I cannot scan the whole
                film on a possibility of a "hit", please limit your date range to about 5 years
                and provide the best guess at the spelling of the names. Any detail regarding

                z Bohom

                Dr. "Q"

                Andrea Vangor wrote:

                > I had that film but let it go back to Salt Lake when I had perused it
                > thoroughly and copied what I wanted. Otherwise, I would be happy to look
                > for your people.
              • Kate Cullinane
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2000
                  Great idea about sharing films. I have the following films on indefinite
                  loan:

                  Trebisov - Roman Catholic Records - 1982274, 1982275 and 1982276
                  1704 - 1895
                  Lenartov - Roman Catholic Records - 1792642
                  1792-1899
                  Lenartov - Greek Catholic Records - 1792643
                  1768-1895

                  My FHC is closed for the summer but after that, I would be willing to do
                  look ups along the lines proposed by Dr. "Q".

                  Kate Cullinane
                  cullinan@...

                  >Perhaps it would be useful for list members to share the film numbers on
                  >indefinite loan currently at their FHC? I have access to:
                  >
                  >1794068 Torysa 1735-1835
                  >1792772 Krivany 1746-1857
                  >1794090 Olsov 1790-1857
                  >1739903 Spissky Hrusov 1713-1861
                  >1739885 Spissky Hrusov 1861-1896
                  >1792647 Livov, Bardejov 1789-1841
                  >1792648 Livov, Bardejov 1841-1895
                  >
                  >Please note - - - I know the films cover other locations, e.g. 1739903
                  includes
                  >Spissky Hrhov. I have only put in the name of the town I was interested
                  in.
                  >Use the film number as your reference, go to the LDS site:

                  http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=generalfilmse
                  arch&columns=*%2C180%2C0

                  >to find the film number you are interested in. I will look up your
                  requests if
                  >you can provide a specific name and range of dates. I cannot scan the
                  whole
                  >film on a possibility of a "hit", please limit your date range to about 5
                  years
                  >and provide the best guess at the spelling of the names. Any detail
                  regarding

                  >z Bohom
                  >
                  >Dr. "Q"

                • Jim M
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
                    Dr. Q,

                    Just getting around to doing some research and came across your msg.

                    If you have time, no rush, can you possibly look up a name for me from the
                    1792772 Krivany 1746-1857 film ?

                    The name is BUTKOVICS (americanized it appears as BUTKOVICH).

                    Thanks.

                    Jim