Re: Ruska Vola nad Popradom church records

  • pabasia
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 3 7:54 AM
      Sorry my post is confusing, I never questioned my mothers
      explanation of the church, she told me it was Russian Orthodox, Greek
      Rite.......but you sure correct about it being Carpatho-Russian, but
      the language in the church was Slavish. What is the difference in
      the language of the Slavs and the Rusyns? This is very embarrassing,
      I guess I never really paid attention, but just now I actually read
      the baptism record "American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Dioceses".
      Isn't this sad that at my age I know so little about so much of my
      life? >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "pabasia" <toomanycrafts@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Perhaps I would find information there, I grew up in a Russian (I
      > think)
      > > Orthadox, Greek Rite church that was Slovak here in the states,
      > > I will look for records there. My head is spinning with all this
      > new
      >ch "that was Slovak here in the states". There are no Slovak
      > Orthodox or Greek Catholic churches in the United States. They are
      > either called Ruthenian, Carpatho-Russian, or just Russian
      (although
      > the people in them are most likely not Russian at all, but Rusyn).
      >
      > The people from Ruska Vola nad Popradom (your Ruska Vola) are
      > Rusyns, not Slovaks. That whole area is pretty much Rusyn as far as
      > the eye can see. "Ruska Vola" doesn't mean "Slovak Will", it means
      > Rusyn/Russian Will. Their language is also called Rusyn.
      >
      > http://www.c-rs.org
      > http://www.rusyn.org
      > http://www.slovakia.org/society-rusyn.htm
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusyns
      > http://www.time.com/time/europe/html/050829/rusyn.html
      > etc.
      >
      > Anyway, here are some lovely photos of the churches in Circ,
      > Obrucne, and Ruska Vola nad Popradom:
      > http://www.grkatpo.sk/fotoalbumy/?zobrazit=album&id=201
      >
      > and a few of Ruska Vola's church and cemetery:
      > http://www.rusin.sk/main.php?id=49&typ=4&galid=83&rnow=Ruska_Vola
      >
      > Some rudimentary info about the village:
      > http://www.e-obce.sk/obec/ruskavolanadpopradom/ruska-vola-nad-
      > popradom.html
      >
      > and some genealogy-related info:
      > http://www.cisarik.com/village-0777.html
      >
      > and info on the few remnants of the former Jewish inhabitants (with
      > a photo of the village name signs, the main one in the official
      > Slovak, the supplementary one in Rusyn):
      > http://www.cisarik.com/cemetery-jewish-ruskavola-poprad.html
      >
      > RDC

    • Charlotte Conjelko
      Message 34 of 34 , May 1, 2009
        Basia,
        I was just clearing out old emails and found yours.  Did you every hear from anyone named Conjelko other than me about Anna Chupinka?  Unfortunately, neither my husband know anything about his aunt-by-marriage.

        Charlotte