[S-R] Re: Ruska Vola nad Popradom church records

  • vchromoho
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 2 9:40 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "pabasia" <toomanycrafts@...>
      wrote:

      > Perhaps I would find information there, I grew up in a Russian (I
      think)
      > Orthadox, Greek Rite church that was Slovak here in the states,
      > I will look for records there. My head is spinning with all this
      new
      > information.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam@"

      I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you write about a
      church "that was Slovak here in the states". There are no Slovak
      Orthodox or Greek Catholic churches in the United States. They are
      either called Ruthenian, Carpatho-Russian, or just Russian (although
      the people in them are most likely not Russian at all, but Rusyn).

      The people from Ruska Vola nad Popradom (your Ruska Vola) are
      Rusyns, not Slovaks. That whole area is pretty much Rusyn as far as
      the eye can see. "Ruska Vola" doesn't mean "Slovak Will", it means
      Rusyn/Russian Will. Their language is also called Rusyn.

      http://www.c-rs.org
      http://www.rusyn.org
      http://www.slovakia.org/society-rusyn.htm
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusyns
      http://www.time.com/time/europe/html/050829/rusyn.html
      etc.

      Anyway, here are some lovely photos of the churches in Circ,
      Obrucne, and Ruska Vola nad Popradom:
      http://www.grkatpo.sk/fotoalbumy/?zobrazit=album&id=201

      and a few of Ruska Vola's church and cemetery:
      http://www.rusin.sk/main.php?id=49&typ=4&galid=83&rnow=Ruska_Vola

      Some rudimentary info about the village:
      http://www.e-obce.sk/obec/ruskavolanadpopradom/ruska-vola-nad-
      popradom.html

      and some genealogy-related info:
      http://www.cisarik.com/village-0777.html

      and info on the few remnants of the former Jewish inhabitants (with
      a photo of the village name signs, the main one in the official
      Slovak, the supplementary one in Rusyn):
      http://www.cisarik.com/cemetery-jewish-ruskavola-poprad.html

      RDC
    • Charlotte Conjelko
      Message 34 of 34 , May 1, 2009
        Basia,
        I was just clearing out old emails and found yours.  Did you every hear from anyone named Conjelko other than me about Anna Chupinka?  Unfortunately, neither my husband know anything about his aunt-by-marriage.

        Charlotte