Re: [S-R] Vesely from Gbely; Valachovic/Gaydos/Hladik from Kuty

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hello
      My grandparents and great grandparents were from Gbely. My last name is Kocik, but in Gbely it was Kocich. my grandmother was a Gajdusek, and her parents were Hladiks, also spelled hlatik and Hlatdik. Have you also tried spelling Gaydos as Gaidos or Gajdos?I've found I, J, and Y interchanged often. My aunts and uncles spelled gajdusek sometimes with an "I "or "Y". Then of course you have the magyar "Z" and"S" sometimes added to names. My grandfather came through Ellis Island as Koczyk. one of his brothers was koczich.
      I would think Gaydos and Gajdusek derive from the same root meaning. I've seen Gaj translated as snake and also as a musical instrument...something like a bagpipe. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could be more helpful with that. I find it helps to know the root meaning of a name so you can recognize it with different modifiers. If you can find a connection to gajdusek, that name goes back to the late 1600s in Gbely.
      Larry