Re: Vesely from Gbely; Valachovic/Gaydos/Hladik from Kuty

  • johnqadam@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 5:59 PM
      Here's what I make of your initial posting:
      >>> Andrew Vesely lived in Gbely . . . son ANDREW VESELY came to
      USA . . . . MATILDA VALACHOVIC GAYDOS . , , Matilda's father
      JOSEF KABOT/KABAT came to US. Her mother Mary HLADIK did not. They
      lived in Kuty. <<<

      These are found in the Ellis Island listings. I will send a
      spreadsheet of 83 EI listings of your surnames from Gbely/Egbell anf
      Kuty/Kutti that need to be researched.
      Kabat, Josef Egbel, Hungary 17 1896 1913
      Veszely, Andras Egbel, Hungary 15 1886 1901

      ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
      I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
      entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

      You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
      several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
      that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
      manifest, which often has two pages.
    • Jeanne Versweyveld
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 6:31 PM
        Somehow message got mixed.
        Kabat/Kabot is married name of Andrew Vesely's sister Stefania not Matilda Valachovic-Gaydos' father.
        His name is Josef Valachovic Gaydos.

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 9:31 PM
          Hello
          My grandparents and great grandparents were from Gbely. My last name is Kocik, but in Gbely it was Kocich. my grandmother was a Gajdusek, and her parents were Hladiks, also spelled hlatik and Hlatdik. Have you also tried spelling Gaydos as Gaidos or Gajdos?I've found I, J, and Y interchanged often. My aunts and uncles spelled gajdusek sometimes with an "I "or "Y". Then of course you have the magyar "Z" and"S" sometimes added to names. My grandfather came through Ellis Island as Koczyk. one of his brothers was koczich.
          I would think Gaydos and Gajdusek derive from the same root meaning. I've seen Gaj translated as snake and also as a musical instrument...something like a bagpipe. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could be more helpful with that. I find it helps to know the root meaning of a name so you can recognize it with different modifiers. If you can find a connection to gajdusek, that name goes back to the late 1600s in Gbely.
          Larry