Re: Vesely from Gbely; Valachovic/Gaydos/Hladik from Kuty

  • johnqadam@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      Here's what I make of your initial posting:
      >>> Andrew Vesely lived in Gbely . . . son Andrew Vesely came to
      USA . . . . Matilda Valachovic Gaydos . , , Matilda's father
      Josef Kabot/Kabat came to US. Her mother Mary Hladik did not. They
      lived in Kuty. <<<

      Kuty (in this case) is the one in western Slovakia, 7 km north of
      Moravsky Svaty Jan, as indicted by current phone listings for Hladik
      (ova). Gajdosova is also found in Kuty. Valachovic is found in Kuty
      and Gbely. Vesely and Kabat are found in Gbely.

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
      deaths and conversions for Gbely (a.k.a. Gbelly), Skalica, Slovakia;
      formerly Gbely, Skalica, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia and Egbell (a.k.a.
      Gbelh, Gebely, Gbellán, Gbellani, Egbéll), Nyitra, Hungary. They date
      back to 1710.

      There are no current listings shown by LDS for Kuty but western
      Slovak church records are now being catalogued and you can verify
      what is in the Slovak Archives as follows.

      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
      references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
      are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

      CENTER (FHC)
      The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
      for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
      collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
      Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you
      visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee
      (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and
      notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve
      the microfilm readers to view these records.

      There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most
      part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia
      or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about
      his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need
      groups like this to point you in the right direction.

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The
      church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and
      deaths (zomreli).

      You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your
      nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of
      operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s).
      In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
      and begin your research.

      TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
      Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record
      translations.
    • johnqadam@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
        Here's what I make of your initial posting:
        >>> Andrew Vesely lived in Gbely . . . son ANDREW VESELY came to
        USA . . . . MATILDA VALACHOVIC GAYDOS . , , Matilda's father
        JOSEF KABOT/KABAT came to US. Her mother Mary HLADIK did not. They
        lived in Kuty. <<<

        These are found in the Ellis Island listings. I will send a
        spreadsheet of 83 EI listings of your surnames from Gbely/Egbell anf
        Kuty/Kutti that need to be researched.
        Kabat, Josef Egbel, Hungary 17 1896 1913
        Veszely, Andras Egbel, Hungary 15 1886 1901

        ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
        I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
        entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

        You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
        several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
        that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
        manifest, which often has two pages.
      • Jeanne Versweyveld
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
          Somehow message got mixed.
          Kabat/Kabot is married name of Andrew Vesely's sister Stefania not Matilda Valachovic-Gaydos' father.
          His name is Josef Valachovic Gaydos.

        • lkocik@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
            Hello
            My grandparents and great grandparents were from Gbely. My last name is Kocik, but in Gbely it was Kocich. my grandmother was a Gajdusek, and her parents were Hladiks, also spelled hlatik and Hlatdik. Have you also tried spelling Gaydos as Gaidos or Gajdos?I've found I, J, and Y interchanged often. My aunts and uncles spelled gajdusek sometimes with an "I "or "Y". Then of course you have the magyar "Z" and"S" sometimes added to names. My grandfather came through Ellis Island as Koczyk. one of his brothers was koczich.
            I would think Gaydos and Gajdusek derive from the same root meaning. I've seen Gaj translated as snake and also as a musical instrument...something like a bagpipe. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could be more helpful with that. I find it helps to know the root meaning of a name so you can recognize it with different modifiers. If you can find a connection to gajdusek, that name goes back to the late 1600s in Gbely.
            Larry