Vesely from Gbely; Valachovic/Gaydos/Hladik from Kuty

  • jversweyveld
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      Would appreciate any information on my maternal grandparents. Andrew
      Vesely came to USA to West Virginia/Virginia to work in the coal
      mines. I have no idea what port he arrived in or how he came to end
      up in Newburgh New York. It was there that he married my grandmother
      Matilda Valachovic Gaydos at St. Patrick's Church in Newburgh July
      1904. They lived in Newburgh/NewWindsor New York until their deaths.
      Matilda's father Josef came to US. Her mother Mary Hladik did not.
      They lived in Kuty.
      Andrew Vesely's family lived in Gbely. He had a sister Stefania
      Kabot/Kabat. His father's name was Peter and his mother's name
      Elizabeth..maiden name unknown.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • johnqadam@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
        Here's what I make of your initial posting:
        >>> Andrew Vesely lived in Gbely . . . son Andrew Vesely came to
        USA . . . . Matilda Valachovic Gaydos . , , Matilda's father
        Josef Kabot/Kabat came to US. Her mother Mary Hladik did not. They
        lived in Kuty. <<<

        Kuty (in this case) is the one in western Slovakia, 7 km north of
        Moravsky Svaty Jan, as indicted by current phone listings for Hladik
        (ova). Gajdosova is also found in Kuty. Valachovic is found in Kuty
        and Gbely. Vesely and Kabat are found in Gbely.

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
        deaths and conversions for Gbely (a.k.a. Gbelly), Skalica, Slovakia;
        formerly Gbely, Skalica, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia and Egbell (a.k.a.
        Gbelh, Gebely, Gbellán, Gbellani, Egbéll), Nyitra, Hungary. They date
        back to 1710.

        There are no current listings shown by LDS for Kuty but western
        Slovak church records are now being catalogued and you can verify
        what is in the Slovak Archives as follows.

        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
        references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
        are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

        CENTER (FHC)
        The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
        for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
        collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
        Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you
        visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee
        (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and
        notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve
        the microfilm readers to view these records.

        There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most
        part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia
        or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about
        his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need
        groups like this to point you in the right direction.

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The
        church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and
        deaths (zomreli).

        You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your
        nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of
        operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s).
        In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
        and begin your research.

        TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
        Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record
        translations.
      • johnqadam@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
          Here's what I make of your initial posting:
          >>> Andrew Vesely lived in Gbely . . . son ANDREW VESELY came to
          USA . . . . MATILDA VALACHOVIC GAYDOS . , , Matilda's father
          JOSEF KABOT/KABAT came to US. Her mother Mary HLADIK did not. They
          lived in Kuty. <<<

          These are found in the Ellis Island listings. I will send a
          spreadsheet of 83 EI listings of your surnames from Gbely/Egbell anf
          Kuty/Kutti that need to be researched.
          Kabat, Josef Egbel, Hungary 17 1896 1913
          Veszely, Andras Egbel, Hungary 15 1886 1901

          ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
          I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
          entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

          You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
          several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
          that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
          manifest, which often has two pages.
        • Jeanne Versweyveld
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
            Somehow message got mixed.
            Kabat/Kabot is married name of Andrew Vesely's sister Stefania not Matilda Valachovic-Gaydos' father.
            His name is Josef Valachovic Gaydos.

          • lkocik@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
              Hello
              My grandparents and great grandparents were from Gbely. My last name is Kocik, but in Gbely it was Kocich. my grandmother was a Gajdusek, and her parents were Hladiks, also spelled hlatik and Hlatdik. Have you also tried spelling Gaydos as Gaidos or Gajdos?I've found I, J, and Y interchanged often. My aunts and uncles spelled gajdusek sometimes with an "I "or "Y". Then of course you have the magyar "Z" and"S" sometimes added to names. My grandfather came through Ellis Island as Koczyk. one of his brothers was koczich.
              I would think Gaydos and Gajdusek derive from the same root meaning. I've seen Gaj translated as snake and also as a musical instrument...something like a bagpipe. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could be more helpful with that. I find it helps to know the root meaning of a name so you can recognize it with different modifiers. If you can find a connection to gajdusek, that name goes back to the late 1600s in Gbely.
              Larry