Zuzanna- Suzanna- Zuzana

  • kssrobinl
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi,

      My Great Grandmother supposedly came here from Slovakia....I have a
      bunch of records with her name spelled a bunch of ways.

      Does anyone know what the proper spelling might have been?

      Zuzanna is on the Ellis Island records and family papers and letters
      have it several other ways...

      Zuzanna Gretz

      thanks
      Robin
    • johnqadam@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        >>> My Great Grandmother supposedly came here from Slovakia....I have a
        bunch of records with her name spelled a bunch of ways. Does anyone
        know what the proper spelling might have been? <<<

        Gee, you missed Zsuzsanna. They are ALL proper. Why is it improper to
        have Michael = Mike or Robert = Bob? I might be Janos, Jan or John,
        sometimes Janko.

        I generally use the spelling that is used in the church records at time
        of birth.
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
          THAT depends on the language.... IF she spoke Slovak or a dialect at home, it would be Zuzana.  Nothing improper or proper, but if you are looking for Suzanne and she was Slovak, you will have a heck of a time. Zuzana will get you there.

          As far as what is proper- that is up to the person bearing the name.  I know (VERY personally) an Emilia from Slovakia who shudders at the names Emily and Amelia. A Jan is Jan- and only becomes John when HE says so....

          As far as diminuitives go, I suggest expecting them in personal letters and other personal documents- but never in official documents.  You don't read about Durko Janosik, for example... but his mom probably called him that. :-) Could you imagine???

          Ben