Re: [S-R] Re: Heryonich

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009

      Regarding the surname HERYONICH, I am wondering if it may possibly be
      connected to my paternal grandmother's surname HRONEC (pronounced HRONYETZ), which
      is derived from the HRON river valley, west of the SPIS region and north of
      the GEMER region. Phonetically, the surname HERYONICH seems very similar.
      Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
      (mailto:David1Law@...) .

      Best regards,

      **************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
      neighborhood today.

    • vchromoho
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sherryhamlock"
        <hamlock711@...> wrote:
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam@" <johnqadam@>

        > > Heryonich, Uhrine and Eurown or Uhyrn. I believe that the last
        > three
        > > names are one in the same but <<<
        > >
        > > Galicia, not Galacia. Rusyn, not Russian. Don't blindly trust
        > > census taker.

        > > birth was listed as Dobra. <<<
        > >
        > > How about this Ellis Island listing?
        > >
        > > Hamulak, Dmytro Dobra, Galicia, Scranton, U. S. also given 40
        > 1873
        > > 1913
        > > That's important information.
        > >
        > > Concentrate on figuring out the village name. After that, the
        > > will fall into place.
        > >
        > First I would like to thank everyone for the help. As for the
        > questions....I am not sure about Medzilaborce, that is just a
        > As for the baptismal record it is no longer in my posession, long
        > story! All I remember is that the village Dobra was listed in the
        > upper right hand corner of the document. It also had a cyrillic
        > and the document was a golden greenish color, actually all I had
        > a photo that I blew up and my parent cannot locate the photo. As
        > the Dmyro listed in the Ellis Island website yes he is mine, I do
        > have proof of that and he also had a brother named Michael. Dymtro
        > was born in 1874, unknown birth place. I do know that he moved to
        > Scranton Pennsylvania. Michael lived in Peckville Pennslyvania,
        > was born in 1875 Dobra, Austria. As for finding the village name
        > is the problem?? I have no clue where to begin to look!!!
        > Sherry

        The first clue is the name Dmytro. This is a purely Ukrainian name.
        Many Ukrainians lived in Galicia, which is now split between
        southern Poland and western Ukraine. No need to look in Slovakia.

        The second clue is Scranton / Peckville and the link with a village
        called Dobra. Scranton and the Olyphant area (incl. Peckville) were
        a primary destination for Ukrainians from the village Dobra
        Szlachecka near the town of Sanok, today in southeastern Poland. If
        you use Steve Morse's tools to search the Ellis Island records, you
        will probably find Scranton or Olyphant as the destination for most
        of the people from Dobra Szlachecka (if you're lucky enough that
        they transcribed the village name correctly on the EI database).

        In Scranton the people from Dobra Szlachecka mainly belonged to St.
        Vladimir Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and its offshoot, St.
        Michael Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and in Olyphant/Peckville/Dickson
        City they were members of Ss. Cyril & Methodius Greek Catholic
        Church on River St. in Olyphant or one of its Orthodox offshoots.

        I believe the Chomko Funeral Home(s) in Scranton
        (http://www.chomkofuneralhome.com/) was founded by a fellow from
        Dobra Szlachecka or nearby Ulucz.

        Here are some essential links for you:

        The Dobra Szlachecka Society

        Good luck!
        Rich Custer

        p.s. You may read references linking Dobra Szlachecka and the Lemko
        Region, but Dobra is actually a bit outside the Lemko Region and its
        inhabitants were not Lemkos. Close, but not the same.