Re: [S-R] {S-R} Varhola

  • Charlotte Conjelko
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
      Margaret,
      I graduated from high school in 1961 with a Richard Warchola.  We are both from Central City, PA, outside of Johnstown.  He now lives in NJ.
      Charlotte Pribish Conjelko

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
        Charlotte,
        You must know my cousin, Andy Muha.? If you still live there and see him or his wife, Mary Ann,
        say hello for me.
        Mike Koschik
        A former Pittsburgher now in Chicago

        From: Margaret Hicks <m-s6hix2@...>

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 2:44 PM

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Geiss" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

          I have a little info on him, his parents, date he was born and died but I am looking for his American uncles, aunts, nieces etc. to try to connect him to my Varholas. Since I was a kid my family said we were related.

          I do come from an artistic family, Joseph Plavcan a famous artist, was my mother's cousin. He trained many artists of the day and taught art in an Erie, PA high school. I found some of his work for sale at a studio in Virginia, way out of my budget, but I did copy the pictures for my file, 1 picture is supposed to be his self portrait as a young man.

          Margaret

          Marge,

          > Andy Warhol was born in Pennsylvania of Ruthenian immigrants.
          > Perhaps you've already been to google and looked up "Andy Warhol Biography"?
          > Very informative.
          > Tom

        • szepessnv
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2009
            Margaret,
            I teach photography at a NJ University - I have a female student whose last name is Warholak- she said is was at one time spelled Varholak and that her family was from "Czechoslovakia"- Please send me your email address and I will forward it to her. She is visiting her Grandmother over spring break so may be able to find more info on her family.
            Kind regards,
            -Wendy
            www.schwabik.com
          • Margaret Hicks
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 6, 2009
              Thank you for contacting me

              There are several variations on the name, Varhola, Warhol, Warhola, Warchola, Warholak, etc. I always thought my grand mother was Czech until I learned that that is where some of the town are now but when she was born they were part of Austro-Hungrian Empire.

              e-mail is m-s6hix2@...

              Margaret

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 8, 2009
                I am working on putting together all the Warcholas / Varholas together with mine. It takes a long time because I do not trust everything that is on LDS, unless someone sends them documentation they do not verify, they are only baptising people. Same as rootsweb, I have found a lot of wrong information out there

                I just thought all these people were in PA, surprise, surprise. My world is expanding

                Thank you for the information

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2009
                  Margaret,
                  Richard Warchola lives in Ford, NJ.  Do you live in PA?  If so, where?

                  Charlotte Pribish Conjelko
                  Displace Pennsylvanian living in the flatlands of Indiana

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2009
                    I was born in Erie, PA but now live in Orlando, Florida

                    Some Warchola/Varhola's went to NJ and stayed, others went to Ohio, other to PA. I need to figure out who are mine

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 18, 2009
                      There are many so called biographies out there but they have very little information, parents, his birth and death dates and just maybe his brothers and that is it. I need more, like uncles, aunts etc. to try to connect him to my mother.

                      Thanks for the e-mail though

                      Margaret

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 18, 2009
                        I went to the link and found several, thank you
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 18, 2009
                          Margaret,
                          Have to this site - http://www.warhola.com/familyalbum.html

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 18, 2009
                            I have seen a smaller version of this before. But as with other biographies it does not go beyong him and his parents

                            Margaret

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 27, 2009
                              have you been on the website below? If not put your sunglasses on, it hurt my eyeballs

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 27, 2009
                                This web site is fantastic!? It brought back some pleasant memories of my early years in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh.? It turns out I attended the same elementary school as Andy Warhol.? And, as I'd learned earlier from other sources, his family and mine were congregants at the same Byzantine Catholic Church.? Thanks for directing this oldster to this delightful site.
                                Mike Koschik
                                Chicago