Hamulyak

  • sherryhamlock
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hi Everyone,

      I too, like Basia am not sure how to post so here goes, I am sooo
      confused and I too have little information. I am researching the
      surnames of Hamulyak and Galaydick, Heryonich, Uhrine and Eurown or
      Uhyrn. I believe that the last three names are one in the same but
      through the years have been confused or I could be totally wrong on
      that one. I have found the Hamulyak surname on the 1869 Zemplen
      County Census for Medzilaborce. My biggest problem is that the
      surname which I believe is the correct spelling (Hamulyak)but I also
      have found records with Hamulock, Chamulak, Hamulak could all these
      be the same name??? I also have a census from ancestry.com with my
      great grandparents listed as Hamulock and it states that they are
      from Galacia and the mother tongue is Russian. I also remember that
      my grandpa used to read and write in Cyrillic. I also have also seen
      a baptismal record in which the city of birth was listed as Dobra.
      The baptismal record was written in Latin and had a cyrillc seal on
      it and there was also another language of which I have no clue. I do
      become quite confused trying to find their village. I have been
      trying to learn. I have even been talking to a Polish lady I know to
      learn more history but it seems the more I learn the more I become
      confused! I also know that my Grandma and Grandpa were Ruthenian.
      If anyone could help I would be eternally greatful. My goal is the
      find where they are from in the old country and visit where I come
      from. If anyone could help???

      Sherry
    • johnqadam@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
        >>> I am researching the surnames of Hamulyak and Galaydick,
        Heryonich, Uhrine and Eurown or Uhyrn. I believe that the last three
        names are one in the same but <<<

        Don't DWELL on spelling of the names. What you need to conentrate on
        is the village name. Hamulyak was probably Hamulak. Galaydick was
        likely Galajdyk. And Uhrin.

        >>> I have found the Hamulyak surname on the 1869 Zemplen County
        Census for Medzilaborce. My biggest problem is that the surname
        which I believe is the correct spelling (Hamulyak)but I also have
        found records with Hamulock, Chamulak, Hamulak could all these be the
        same name???

        Is there reason to believe that Hamulyak was born in Medzilaborce? Or
        are you just guessing? Your words have not convinced me that you know.

        >>> it states that they are from Galacia and the mother tongue is
        Russian. <<<

        Galicia, not Galacia. Rusyn, not Russian. Don't blindly trust the
        census taker.

        >>> I also have also seen a baptismal record in which the city of
        birth was listed as Dobra. <<<

        Who has that document? That is SOLID GOLD to your research. That
        could be Dobra, Zemplen Megye, located very near the border of
        Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine -- and not anywhere near Medzilaborce.

        How about this Ellis Island listing?

        Hamulak, Dmytro Dobra, Galicia, Scranton, U. S. also given 40 1873
        1913
        >>> I also know that my Grandma and Grandpa were Ruthenian. <<<
        That's important information.

        Concentrate on figuring out the village name. After that, the rest
        will fall into place.
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009

          Sherry:

          As confused as you may think you seem, there is a lot of info that makes sense here.

          Do you have ANY documentation at all -- census, birth/marriage?

          Let's disect your data and take it a step at a time, I think we can help you uncover some of your history.

          Let us begin with the documentation you can provide and go from there.

          Caye

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam@..." <johnqadam@...>
            wrote:

            > Heryonich, Uhrine and Eurown or Uhyrn. I believe that the last
            three
            > names are one in the same but <<<
            >
            > Don't DWELL on spelling of the names. What you need to conentrate
            on
            > is the village name. Hamulyak was probably Hamulak. Galaydick was
            > likely Galajdyk. And Uhrin.

            > Census for Medzilaborce. My biggest problem is that the surname
            > which I believe is the correct spelling (Hamulyak)but I also have
            > found records with Hamulock, Chamulak, Hamulak could all these be
            the
            > same name???
            >
            > Is there reason to believe that Hamulyak was born in Medzilaborce?
            Or
            > are you just guessing? Your words have not convinced me that you
            know.

            > Russian. <<<
            >
            > Galicia, not Galacia. Rusyn, not Russian. Don't blindly trust the
            > census taker.

            > birth was listed as Dobra. <<<
            >
            > Who has that document? That is SOLID GOLD to your research. That
            > could be Dobra, Zemplen Megye, located very near the border of
            > Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine -- and not anywhere near Medzilaborce.
            >
            > How about this Ellis Island listing?
            >
            > Hamulak, Dmytro Dobra, Galicia, Scranton, U. S. also given 40
            1873
            > 1913
            > That's important information.
            >
            > Concentrate on figuring out the village name. After that, the rest
            > will fall into place.

            First I would like to thank everyone for the help. As for the
            questions....I am not sure about Medzilaborce, that is just a guess.
            As for the baptismal record it is no longer in my posession, long
            story! All I remember is that the village Dobra was listed in the
            upper right hand corner of the document. It also had a cyrillic seal
            and the document was a golden greenish color, actually all I had was
            a photo that I blew up and my parent cannot locate the photo. As for
            the Dmyro listed in the Ellis Island website yes he is mine, I do
            have proof of that and he also had a brother named Michael. Dymtro
            was born in 1874, unknown birth place. I do know that he moved to
            Scranton Pennsylvania. Michael lived in Peckville Pennslyvania, he
            was born in 1875 Dobra, Austria. As for finding the village name that
            is the problem?? I have no clue where to begin to look!!!

            Sherry
          • johnqadam@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
              >>> As for the baptismal record it is no longer in my posession, long
              story! All I remember is that the village Dobra was listed in the
              upper right hand corner of the document. . . . As for
              the Dmyro listed in the Ellis Island website yes he is mine, I do
              have proof of that and he also had a brother named Michael . . . .
              he was born in 1875 Dobra, Austria. As for finding the village name
              that is the problem?? I have no clue where to begin to look!!! <<<

              You're not making ANY sense in your comments. You ALREADY HAVE the
              village name. It is Dobra. Their religion was Greek Catholic (Rusyn).

              The next step is to research the GC church records for Dobra and also
              the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census.

              Another general statement, is that all your people in Slovakia (then
              Zemplen Megye = county, Hungary) likely lived within TWO villages
              distance. I call it the Adam Theorem and it generally works. If
              marriage occurred in other countries, the theorem applies less often.

              I will provide the church records info in another REPLY to keep this
              one short(er).

              CURRENT MAP

              (The assumed instance of) Dobra is located 48°25' N 22°02' E

            • johnqadam@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                >>> All I remember is that the village Dobra was listed in the upper
                right hand corner of the document. <<<

                CENTER (FHC)
                The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
                for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
                collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
                Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you
                visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee
                (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and
                notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve
                the microfilm readers to view these records.

                There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most
                part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia
                or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about
                his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need
                groups like this to point you in the right direction.

                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The
                church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and
                deaths (zomreli).

                1869 Hungarian Census film:
                Dobra (Dobrá) -- Dricsna (Malá Drieèná) -- Dubrava (Dúbrava) --
                Dubróka (Dúbravka) Film #722688

                GC Church Records for Dobra:
                LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                deaths for Dobrá, Slovakia, formerly Kis-Dobra, Zemplén, Hungary.

                Krsty 1795-1808 Uzavreté manželstvá 1795-1813 Úmrtia 1796-1810 Krsty
                1808-1861 Uzavreté manželstvá 1813-1858 Úmrtia 1810-1861 Uzavreté
                manželstvá 1859-1861 Krsty 1862-1873 Uzavreté manželstvá 1862-1873
                Úmrtia 1862-1873 Krsty 1874-1890 Uzavreté manželstvá 1874-1888 - FHL
                INTL Film [ 1978730 Items 2-7 ]

                Uzavreté manželstvá 1888-1905 Úmrtia 1874-1895 Krsty 1890-1903 - FHL
                INTL Film [ 1978731 Items 1-2 ]

                You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your
                nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of
                operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s).
                In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
                and begin your research.

                TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
                Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record
                translations.
              • johnqadam@rogers.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                  >>> the village Dobra was listed in the upper right hand corner of the
                  document. <<<

                  1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                  The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                  http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

                  Look in the blue area, bottom right corner of map, just below
                  Kiralyhelmecz to find K.Dobra. That's where we believe your people are
                  from.

                  CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
                  a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
                  likely find in church records.
                • johnqadam@rogers.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                    >>> Hamulak, Dmytro Dobra, Galicia, Scranton, U. S. also given 40
                    1873 1913 . . . As for the Dmyro listed in the Ellis Island website
                    yes he is mine <<<

                    His earlier 1909 entry on Ellis Island is mis-transcribed as "Hannlak,
                    Dmytro Dobra, Galicia". The information in that listing doesn't add
                    much. He has a wife, Anna, in Dobra.
                  • johnqadam@rogers.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                      >>> I am researching the surnames of Hamulyak and Galaydick . . .<<<

                      Galaydick is spelled Galajdik/Galajdyk on Ellis Island and most came
                      from Telepocz, Zemplen Megye, now mapped as Osadna in northeastern
                      Slovakia, 5 km from the Polish border.

                      This needs to be confirmed from other resources.
                    • johnqadam@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                        >>> I am researching the surnames of Hamulyak and Galaydick, Heryonich,
                        Uhrine and Eurown or Uhyrn. <<<

                        Too much time on my hands and so I decided to take a stab at the
                        Heryonich surname. Clearly, this is not correct Slovak as given. I
                        tried several combinations of letters and still came up with one
                        possibility.

                        Looking at it phonetically, what might it be? Given the other
                        information in this string, our mystery name probably lived in Zemplen
                        Megye, though that is far from certain.

                        Here's the best I could do on Ellis Island:
                        Herjanecz, Jozsef, Nagykanizsa, Hungary

                        Joe is Hungarian, not Slovak, and Nagykanizsa is in Zala Megye, south
                        of Lake Balaton's western end. Hardly a good fit but the best that I
                        could dome up with.

                        Other offerings?
                      • david1law@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                          Hello:

                          Regarding the surname HERYONICH, I am wondering if it may possibly be
                          connected to my paternal grandmother's surname HRONEC (pronounced HRONYETZ), which
                          is derived from the HRON river valley, west of the SPIS region and north of
                          the GEMER region. Phonetically, the surname HERYONICH seems very similar.
                          Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
                          (mailto:David1Law@...) .

                          Best regards,

                          David
                          **************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
                          neighborhood today.

                        • vchromoho
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sherryhamlock"
                            <hamlock711@...> wrote:

                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam@" <johnqadam@>

                            > > Heryonich, Uhrine and Eurown or Uhyrn. I believe that the last
                            > three
                            > > names are one in the same but <<<

                            > > Galicia, not Galacia. Rusyn, not Russian. Don't blindly trust
                            the
                            > > census taker.

                            > > birth was listed as Dobra. <<<

                            > > How about this Ellis Island listing?
                            > >
                            > > Hamulak, Dmytro Dobra, Galicia, Scranton, U. S. also given 40
                            > 1873
                            > > 1913
                            > > That's important information.
                            > >
                            > > Concentrate on figuring out the village name. After that, the
                            rest
                            > > will fall into place.
                            > >
                            > First I would like to thank everyone for the help. As for the
                            > questions....I am not sure about Medzilaborce, that is just a
                            guess.
                            > As for the baptismal record it is no longer in my posession, long
                            > story! All I remember is that the village Dobra was listed in the
                            > upper right hand corner of the document. It also had a cyrillic
                            seal
                            > and the document was a golden greenish color, actually all I had
                            was
                            > a photo that I blew up and my parent cannot locate the photo. As
                            for
                            > the Dmyro listed in the Ellis Island website yes he is mine, I do
                            > have proof of that and he also had a brother named Michael. Dymtro
                            > was born in 1874, unknown birth place. I do know that he moved to
                            > Scranton Pennsylvania. Michael lived in Peckville Pennslyvania,
                            he
                            > was born in 1875 Dobra, Austria. As for finding the village name
                            that
                            > is the problem?? I have no clue where to begin to look!!!
                            >
                            > Sherry

                            Sherry,
                            The first clue is the name Dmytro. This is a purely Ukrainian name.
                            Many Ukrainians lived in Galicia, which is now split between
                            southern Poland and western Ukraine. No need to look in Slovakia.

                            The second clue is Scranton / Peckville and the link with a village
                            called Dobra. Scranton and the Olyphant area (incl. Peckville) were
                            a primary destination for Ukrainians from the village Dobra
                            Szlachecka near the town of Sanok, today in southeastern Poland. If
                            you use Steve Morse's tools to search the Ellis Island records, you
                            will probably find Scranton or Olyphant as the destination for most
                            of the people from Dobra Szlachecka (if you're lucky enough that
                            they transcribed the village name correctly on the EI database).

                            In Scranton the people from Dobra Szlachecka mainly belonged to St.
                            Vladimir Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and its offshoot, St.
                            Michael Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and in Olyphant/Peckville/Dickson
                            City they were members of Ss. Cyril & Methodius Greek Catholic
                            Church on River St. in Olyphant or one of its Orthodox offshoots.

                            I believe the Chomko Funeral Home(s) in Scranton
                            (http://www.chomkofuneralhome.com/) was founded by a fellow from
                            Dobra Szlachecka or nearby Ulucz.

                            Here are some essential links for you:

                            The Dobra Szlachecka Society
                            http://www.dobra.org/

                            http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/dobras.html

                            http://genforum.genealogy.com/niesiewicz/messages/2.html
                            http://genforum.genealogy.com/gbur/messages/19.html

                            http://www.maplandia.com/poland/podkarpackie/sanok/dobra-szlachecka/

                            Good luck!
                            Rich Custer

                            p.s. You may read references linking Dobra Szlachecka and the Lemko
                            Region, but Dobra is actually a bit outside the Lemko Region and its
                            inhabitants were not Lemkos. Close, but not the same.