Re: Searching for relatives in Slovakia - Moros

  • johnqadam@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 26, 2009
      >>> The town my great grandmother was from was "dlha luka" Her name as
      I know it was: Susie (could be susanna) Moros. <<<

      Based upon current Slovak phone listings and also Ellis Island
      listings, the spelling in Hungarian times would likely have been Moroz
      or perhaps Morozs. These search terms provided a lot more information
      but still no Susanna/Zuzanna/Zsuzsanna.

      There are five instances of Dlha Luka in current map listings. Given
      the "known" birth date(s), it is probably necessary to research the
      various church records until Susie is found.
    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 26, 2009
        Zuzanna wouldn't show up as it would be spelled "Zuzana" in Slovak.  Zsuzsanna is Hungarian. I would try Morosz or Marosz (even Marusz-possibly- though the 1995 census has NO entries for this name) for the surname.  There are many variations that show on the 1995 census- just go to the link below and play.  The only problem with Dlha Luka, though I am sure we can find it, is that it means "long meadow." It could be a local name, or we may find it elsewhere, such as around Bardejov.  Here are some options given to us by JULS:
        http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/?w=dlha+luka&s=exact&d=kssj4&d=psp&d=scs&d=sss&d=peciar&d=hssjV&d=obce&d=priezviska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
        VSoS lists it as being in the Saris region, around Bardejov.  It is listed as a spa town. :-) Good to know for vacation!

        Ben

        >>> The town my great grandmother was from was "dlha luka" Her name as
        I know it was: Susie (could be susanna) Moros. <<<

        Based upon current Slovak phone listings and also Ellis Island
        listings, the spelling in Hungarian times would likely have been Moroz
        or perhaps Morozs. These search terms provided a lot more information
        but still no Susanna/Zuzanna/ Zsuzsanna.

        There are five instances of Dlha Luka in current map listings. Given
        the "known" birth date(s), it is probably necessary to research the
        various church records until Susie is found.

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 26, 2009
          Hi - i have 5 Moroz listings in the Slovak Pride data base and one is by a friend in Slovakia
          contact me directly if you want more info - at helenezx@...

          helene

        • zborro@seznam.cz
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 26, 2009