PREBISH SCRANTON/DUNMORE PA

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
      David, Charlotte

      I have a PREBISH married to a DZUBA/JUBA cousin in SCRANTON (then called
      DUNMORE, PA).

      The family still resides in Scranton. I have visited them, but they have no
      knowledge of the PREBISH ancestry or origin.

      The married in name was STEFAN PREBISH according to family
      records/spelling).

      I am pretty certain it's PRIBIS' in Slovakia. I've never pursued it
      because it's a bit tangential to my own work.

      Write me privately, happy to exchange more info.

      Regards,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
        One more thing. Most of my immigrant ancestors attended St. John the
        Baptist (Greek Catholic) church in Dunmore/Scranton.

        Bill
      • Joann P
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
          May I send you the info I have from St John's and see if you may recognize any names??

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
            Dear ?

            Sure. Happy to look. My knowledge is limited, but if it seems plausible, I
            could email a cousin there.
            Do you know what streets they may have lived on (i.e., have you checked a
            census?)
            Bill

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
              Hi Bill:

              From my understanding, PRIBISH is Polish (but possibly could also be
              Slovak). Remember, the Polish border lies across from the northern border of
              Slovakia.

              Best regards,

              David
              **************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
              (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)

            • Joann P
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                I am very happy that someone wants to try to help. Let me get all the info together and I will send it to you.

                Joann

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22, 2009
                  Bill:

                  There isn't a census that my grandfather is on. He was possibly in Passaic in 1910 and in 1920 he was in WV and I haven't been successful in finding anything. I know he was in Scranton in 1912, 1913 and 1914 then the next time I have him verified as being in Passaic is 1917.

                  This is the information that I have:

                  St Mary's in Scranton, my grandfather Alex Petsko, Peszka, Peczko, Pecka and Maria Slyvics, Slivics Petsko had a son, Michael, Baptized in 1912.
                  St Mary's in Scranton my grandfather's wife, Maria Slivics Petsko was Godmother to Stephen Kedulich,son of Nicholas and Anna Kovach on March 2, 1913.

                  St John's GC Church in Scranton, Peter Peczko and wife Anna, had a son Baptized in 1916.

                  There is a connection between Peter Peczko, Petsko and Alex Petsko and I can't find the actual connection.

                  There is a strong connection between the Petsko's, Rohulics and Kidulich, Kigyulics, Stanko. Nicholas Rohulic was, eventually Godfather to my mother.

                  Now, if you can make sense of any of this and maybe find any information that will help......................Thank you.

                  I have found some people still living in Scranton, but when you try to call they have no idea who their ancestors were. We are all faced with the fact that our grandparents didn't talk about it. My grandmother, Anna Haluska Petsko, did mention something to my mom back in 1956 about a brother and from that we found two of her brothers. It has taken me until November 2007 to finally get an e-mail from the last of the family and now we have finally all connected. So, it does happen!!

                  Hopefully someone back in Scranton can recognize a name or help me in some small way.

                  Thanks,
                  Joann

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1 7:33 PM
                    Dear Joann,
                    I am sorry, I can't help you make sense of it all. I really don't have
                    time to do research for others. I can only tell you of connections in my
                    family. I can make a connection back to Scranton, but it's not very
                    likely the church will help you. I am unfamiliar with any other name, but
                    it's going after the village, not th name by which you will be successful.
                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                    What are you trying to accomplish? Why are you trying to contact family
                    from all these names? As you know, it's a rather futile search. I would
                    rather see you go for the village name. Then you can get other documents
                    from the villages and that will help you.

                    There are many primary sources to determine your ancestral village, all
                    listed free for you on my web site. Yours for the reading. I would
                    suggest getting requests out for those primary documents. Find your
                    village and you can make more accurate progress.
                    Regards,
                    Bill

                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com
                  • margesonny
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 17, 2009
                      I would love to have the info so see if any of my family is on it.

                      Margaret