AW: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] WITTENDORFER in Skalica

  • Wittendorfer Frank
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2000
      Larry,
      I got this answer concerning the Skailca parish registers, which are kept by the slovak state archives in Bratislava (Pressburg). Unfortunately there are not existing any microfilm copies, so I have to think about a trip to Bratislava to look through the records.
      Regards, Frank Wittendorfer

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Frank Wittendorfer"
      <frank.wittendorfer@u...> wrote:
      > I am researching about WITTENDORFER: they came in the 1770ies
      > from Suevia to Skalica and there had many descendants. My questions
      > are:
      >
      > - which archives do keep the Skalica parish registers?

      Bratislava

      > - does anyone own a microfilm or copy of the parish registers?

      the matriky are not microfilmed as yet

      ?

      > - are there existing any census lists or lists of colonists
      > concerning Skalica?

      No

      > Many thanks, Frank Wittendorfer (Munich/Germany)

      A Skalica (Sv) Szakolca (H) Skalitz (G) is located 48 miles
      north of Bratislava and near the current Czech Republic border.

      The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
      of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.
      But they haven't filmed records at the Bratislava Archives as yet !

      You can write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného mesta
      Bratislavy) to research your surname records.
      There are three different rates.
      Clerical, the cheapest, the basic research, and the most difficult,
      the more expensive.
      They will do research you request then send you a bill which you must
      pay before they send the information.

      Slovak State Archives URLs

      http://www.netway.at/ihff/c.htm

      http://www.slovak.com/genealogy/adresy_na_slovensku.html

      Parish church records exist for Skalica as follows :

      R.C. parish church records 1629-1895
      Calvanist parish church records 1783-1895

      And the Jewish community records 1833-1938