Re: [S-R] Re: Meaning of Gellertfalva--Gerolsdorf--Dobra Volya/Schulz names

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
      Yes, Ron, I agree- this part of Slovak history is almost fundamental to understanding the history of the middle-ages in Uhorska/Hungary/Slovakia. I was very tired last night... I am about worn out, methinks.� This gentry was fundamental in the birth of Slovak villages...

      However, I was "on" about the spelling, and for some reason, was focusing on surnames. So, my appologies- I didn't mean for that to read the way it did. Joe's addition to the Vol'a (a to dobrovolne napisane!) is excellent, and I was kicking myself for not thinking of that too... Joe, ste poklad.

      I want to throw in just one little correction, though- "starost" is a concern/care or matter of concern.� The mayor of a city is "primator," and for a village it is "starosta."� Now, for the time-period that the Soltysovia were running around, you may come across "richtar." This was the title for starosta. Mes~tanosta was a primator, usually of the larger cities.

      I hope that this helps with understanding some of the village histories...
      Ben

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2009
        Dear fellow researchers,

        The Eisdorf book is printed. The cost is Euro 19 plus mailing. It has about 350 pages, incl. many old pictures. It is in German, with English summaries.

        You can order directly from Inge Schmidt at ingetraud-Schmidt@... , who will also tell you how to pay.

        Alles Gute,

        Thomas