new member intro- Kurov village, BUJDA, RAJKO, SPIRKO, PITUCH

  • norma b
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2009
      Hi, I just joined your group.

      I am researching the lineage of John BUDJA, who according to 1910 US
      census came to the US in 1901 and was born about 1885. Family lore
      states that John BUJDA (US spelling was changed to BUIDA) came to the
      US to work in the coal mines around Clearfield Co, PA. He was
      accompanied by Michael ROJKO (US spelling was changed to RAYCO). He
      stayed with a PETUCH family when he came over to the US.( I have
      found an Adam PETUCH family in Decatur, Clearfield County that I
      believe to be the family- an earlier immigrant from KUROV)

      John Buida died in a mining accident in 1915 (have not had success
      getting his death certificate or church burial records- he was
      buried in a Russian Orthodox Church Cemetery in Osceola Mills, PA
      where his wife's family had a plot).

      I have a family letter that is a reply from the American Consulat in
      Czechoslovkia dated 1933, in regards to John BUJDA inheriting
      property in Kurov. The reply states that Tomas BUJDA, father of
      John BUJDA, owned property in KUROV, however it was sold by deed on
      15 Feb 1914 to Konstantin SPIRKO and his wife Zuzanna, nee BUJDA.

      Family lore states that Micheal ROJKO's father and John BUJDA's
      mother were siblings.

      I have searched online the undetermined owners of land in Kurov and
      found a Jan BUJDA (is this john?) and a Michal ROJKO (is this
      micheal?)

      I have looked at a website that lists family names in Kurov. All the
      above surnames are listed.

      I have ordered the Greek Catholic Church records for Kurov from LDS,
      but they haven't come in yet.

      I have found two Janos BUDJA on Ellis island records both for
      1901...but can't figure out which is my man, neither of these Janos
      BUJDA's have a ROJKO on the same ship. I can't cant find a Micheal
      ROJKO that seems to be correct.

      Any suggestions to help my search would be appreciated.

      Norma Buida