[S-R] Re: Meaning of Gellertfalva--Gerolsdorf--Dobra Volya/Schulz names

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
      Soltyz by any spelling variation and dialect of Slovak or German
      should be of interest to the list, since it is the Soltys system that
      was instrumental in founding many of the villages in Slovakia. The
      lower (presumably oldest) section of the main street in Sulin is still
      referred to as S^outystvo by villagers. When I heard it, it sounded
      like the root was a variation on Soltys, either in Slovak or Rusyn.

      I lived in Ketsch, Germany for a year or two and they are quite proud
      of their Schultheiß (Soltys, Schultz) named Enderle. As
      representative of the Lord of the village his responsibility was to
      administer the lord's will, which he did with competence until the
      lord ordered some oppressive and unjust burdens upon the people. As I
      remember it, he then led a revolt and fled for his life when it was
      suppressed, but he won the everlasting respect of the citizens and
      stands in honor in bronze today.

      The relevance to Slovakia and our ancestors is that in the Soltys era
      (much easier to write than Schultheiß) a Soltys was chosen to lead the
      settlers to the Lord's chosen location and direct the establishment of
      the village and farmlands. His reward could include a double portion
      of farmland and mayor ship (Starost / leader) for himself and perhaps
      his children. Circumstances of his reward varied with time and
      location and the local charter. Often the village was granted freedom
      from taxes for 10 or 15 years, and perhaps the Soltys was granted a
      longer period or lighter tax burden.

      I will cross post this on Slovak World and after a week or two of
      commentary and correction will post an update here, if needed.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@...> wrote:

      > I don't know Slovak and ran across Scholtyz as the slovakized
      version of Schulz. I guess this website here has the slovak spelling:

      > http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Soltys-family-history.ashx
      >
      > Polish (Soltys), Czech (Šoltys), and Slovak Šoltýs: of German
      origin, a status name for a village headman (see Schultz, Schultheis).

      > Thomas

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
        Yes, Ron, I agree- this part of Slovak history is almost fundamental to understanding the history of the middle-ages in Uhorska/Hungary/Slovakia. I was very tired last night... I am about worn out, methinks.� This gentry was fundamental in the birth of Slovak villages...

        However, I was "on" about the spelling, and for some reason, was focusing on surnames. So, my appologies- I didn't mean for that to read the way it did. Joe's addition to the Vol'a (a to dobrovolne napisane!) is excellent, and I was kicking myself for not thinking of that too... Joe, ste poklad.

        I want to throw in just one little correction, though- "starost" is a concern/care or matter of concern.� The mayor of a city is "primator," and for a village it is "starosta."� Now, for the time-period that the Soltysovia were running around, you may come across "richtar." This was the title for starosta. Mes~tanosta was a primator, usually of the larger cities.

        I hope that this helps with understanding some of the village histories...
        Ben

        Soltyz by any spelling variation and dialect of Slovak or German
        should be of interest to the list, since it is the Soltys system that
        was instrumental in founding many of the villages in Slovakia. The
        lower (presumably oldest) section of the main street in Sulin is still
        referred to as S^outystvo by villagers. When I heard it, it sounded
        like the root was a variation on Soltys, either in Slovak or Rusyn.

        I lived in Ketsch, Germany for a year or two and they are quite proud
        of their Schulthei�� (Soltys, Schultz) named Enderle. As
        representative of the Lord of the village his responsibility was to
        administer the lord's will, which he did with competence until the
        lord ordered some oppressive and unjust burdens upon the people. As I
        remember it, he then led a revolt and fled for his life when it was
        suppressed, but he won the everlasting respect of the citizens and
        stands in honor in bronze today.

        The relevance to Slovakia and our ancestors is that in the Soltys era
        (much easier to write than Schulthei��) a Soltys was chosen to lead the

      • treimer@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2009
          Dear fellow researchers,

          The Eisdorf book is printed. The cost is Euro 19 plus mailing. It has about 350 pages, incl. many old pictures. It is in German, with English summaries.

          You can order directly from Inge Schmidt at ingetraud-Schmidt@... , who will also tell you how to pay.

          Alles Gute,

          Thomas