Is Anyone Familiar with the Surname of Fakla?

  • cojoco3
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
      Hello, I have looked and looked and can't seem to find much
      information on my paternal gr. grandparents, Andrew and Szuzanna
      (Varga) Fakla. They lived in Rima-Szomb, or Rimaszombat, as at least
      one of their daughters was born there. My grandmother (Minnie, Milka
      Fakla) Thomas and her mother, Szuzanna came through Ellis Island in
      1904, to meet their father and husband (respectively) in Northampton,
      PA. Sometime after that they moved to Hudson (Columbia County) NY,
      where they're listed on the 1910 Census. I have not really been able
      to find much information on them and the only Fakla listed in present
      day Northampton says they were not related to his family. If there is
      anyone who could help me I would certainly appreciate it. Many thanks
    • Peter Nagy
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
        Hello,

        The surname Fakla is not very common, but it occurs in Rimavska Sobota.
        Check the frequency of the surname in Slovakia using
        http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/ (for explanation of the database see
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/juls.html ).

        Peter
      • Donna Manuel
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
          Hi Peter,
             I can't thank you enough.  No wonder I've run into brick walls most of the time; it's certainly aggravating at times.  I will check out the sites you sent to me.
            Again, thank you for your help and have a blessed day,
          Donna

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
            This is a fascinating place with the church sitting right in the center of the square. It's charming.

            Wonder if the name refers to an old market - Sobota - Saturday

            helene

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
              Wonder if the surname Fejes would have any connection with Fakla - could Fejes be the Hungarian version and Fakla the Slovak female version ????   Guess it is a big stretch but i do have a person listing Fejes family from Rimavska Sobota in the Slovak Pride data base

              helene

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                Hi Helene,
                   Thank you so much for your help.  Fejes might just be a derivative of Fakla and is certainly something to consider.  I'll look it up and see what else I can find.
                   Thanks again and take care,
                Donna

[...]

              • María Eugenia Kromholc
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Hi!

                  First of all, pardon my ignorance, but why do you suggest that Fakla could
                  have a connection with Fejes?

                  I have researched a lot on Rimavska Sobota as it is the biggest town near my
                  grandparents' smaller towns (Rimavska Kokava now Kokava nad Rimavicou and
                  Feled, now Jesenske). I have seen lots of Farkas in those towns, but do not
                  remember Fakla.

                  Anyway, I have looked up for you on the slovak phone guide, but of all the
                  Fakla listed none appears in Rimavska Sobota. http://www.zoznam.sk/

                  I will look up on my notes to help you and let you know if I something of
                  interest to you.

                  Stay in touch!

                  On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>wrote:

                  > Wonder if the surname Fejes would have any connection with Fakla - could
                  > Fejes be the Hungarian version and Fakla the Slovak female version ????
                  > Guess it is a big stretch but i do have a person listing Fejes family from
                  > Rimavska Sobota in the Slovak Pride data base
                  >
                  > helene
                  >
                  > --- On Sun, 2/8/09, cojoco3 <cojoco3@... <cojoco3%40yahoo.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: cojoco3 <cojoco3@... <cojoco3%40yahoo.com>>
                  > Subject: [S-R] Is Anyone Familiar with the Surname of Fakla?
                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 10:49 PM
                  >
                  > Hello, I have looked and looked and can't seem to find much
                  > information on my paternal gr. grandparents, Andrew and Szuzanna
                  > (Varga) Fakla. They lived in Rima-Szomb, or Rimaszombat, as at least
                  > one of their daughters was born there. My grandmother (Minnie, Milka
                  > Fakla) Thomas and her mother, Szuzanna came through Ellis Island in
                  > 1904, to meet their father and husband (respectively) in Northampton,
                  > PA. Sometime after that they moved to Hudson (Columbia County) NY,
                  > where they're listed on the 1910 Census. I have not really been able
                  > to find much information on them and the only Fakla listed in present
                  > day Northampton says they were not related to his family. If there is
                  > anyone who could help me I would certainly appreciate it. Many thanks

                  María Eugenia Kromholc
                  Periodista
                  Comunicación y Prensa
                  www.mediosmas.blogspot.com

                • Donna Manuel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                    As far as I know the whole name means river that's near the market on Saturday or something like that.  This came from a person who spent a couple of years over there as a missionary.  Now I want to learn that language so that I can at least speak a little when I go over there.
                      Oh, by the way,  my middle name is Helen, and I live in the city of Helena.  Just thought I'd share that with you since your name is Helene.
                     Donna

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                      Hello,

                      I saw the mention of RIMAVSKA SOBOTA and also KOKOVA NAD RIMAVICOU and I
                      know a STRELKA family whose ancestors came from KOKOVA NAD RIMAVICOU. I have
                      also done a lot of research in the GEMER region, both which regard to my direct
                      ancestors and also with regard to the history of the area.

                      Best regards,

                      David
                      Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
                      (http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)

                    • Donna Manuel
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Hello,
                          Thank you very much for your email.  I have searched for so long for info about my ancestors and now it is finally coming to fruition.  I don't have much info yet but I have saved your email to my address book and if I come across anything I'll definitely let you know.
                          Take care,
                        Donna

                        ************ **The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy
                        Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
                        (http://music. aol.com/grammys? ncid=emlcntusmus i00000002)

                      • Evelyn Marsh
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                          David,I was most interested in your reply pertaining to Kokava nad Rimavicou - this village is where my great grandfather was born - I have very little info from the Archives in Banska Bystrica - here is what I have: Jozsef Gudasz (RC) married Maria Rothova (Evang) - no date or any other info on these 2 people - probably married in her village.children:Jozsef Gudasz b. 23 Oct 1829 in Kokava nad RimavicouJozsef Gudasz b. 13 Mar 1832 in Kokava nad RimavicouMaria Gudasz b. 11 Jan 1839 in Kokava nad Rimavicou - d. 12 Dec 1843 in Kokava nad Rimavicou

                          There is no record of the first Jozsef's death.
                          My great grandfather is the second Jozsef b. 13 Mar 1832

                          I know he left Kokava nad Rimavicou and married in Nagy Mihaly to his first wife Maria Davidek. My grandfather Vincent was born to him & his second wife Maria Hermanszky in Humenne.

                          If you have come across any info pertaining to these people, please let me know. Thank you.
                          Evelyn
                          evelynmarsh@...

                          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: david1law@...: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:12:57 -0500Subject: Re: [S-R] Is Anyone Familiar with the Surname of Fakla?

                          Hello,I saw the mention of RIMAVSKA SOBOTA and also KOKOVA NAD RIMAVICOU and I know a STRELKA family whose ancestors came from KOKOVA NAD RIMAVICOU. I have also done a lot of research in the GEMER region, both which regard to my direct ancestors and also with regard to the history of the area.Best regards,David**************The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there. (http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        • margesonny
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 13, 2009
                            I have tried the slovnik.juls.savba.sk site several time and cannot
                            get anything in English. I click English but it still comes up in I
                            guess Slovak. I find the 2 names I put in but cannot read anything.

                            Any suggestions

                            Thank you

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nagy <rndrnagy@...> wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > The surname Fakla is not very common, but it occurs in Rimavska
                            Sobota.
                            > Check the frequency of the surname in Slovakia using
                            > http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/ (for explanation of the database see
                            > http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/juls.html ).
                            >
                            > Peter

                          • cojoco3
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 13, 2009
                              --- Thanks so much for all your help. I'll try to find something
                              about them in Rimavska Sobota. I've had such a hard time trying to
                              get any research done so I very much appreciate your getting in touch
                              with me. Maybe I'll find some living relatives.
                              God bless you,
                              Donna

                              In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "margesonny" <m-s6hix2@...> wrote:

                              > I have tried the slovnik.juls.savba.sk site several time and cannot
                              > get anything in English. I click English but it still comes up in I
                              > guess Slovak. I find the 2 names I put in but cannot read anything.
                              >
                              > Any suggestions
                              >
                              > Thank you
                              >
                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nagy <rndrnagy@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello,
                              > >
                              > > The surname Fakla is not very common, but it occurs in Rimavska
                              > Sobota.
                              > > Check the frequency of the surname in Slovakia using
                              > > http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/ (for explanation of the database
                              see
                              > > http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/juls.html ).
                              > >
                              > > Peter

                            • Ben Sorensen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 13, 2009
                                Here is the only pertinent part of that search for genealogy.� Otherwise, the whole of the entry is a dictionary entry defining "fakl'a" or a torch....

                                Priezvisko FAKLA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nach�dzalo 54�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 25, naj�astej�ie v�skyty v lokalit�ch:
                                TUR�OK, okr. RO��AVA (od r. 1996 REV�CA) � 7�;
                                REV�CA, okr. RO��AVA (od r. 1996 REV�CA) � 6�;
                                PRIEVIDZA II-P�LY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 4�;
                                JUH (obec KO�ICE), okr. KO�ICE � 4�;
                                RATKOV�, okr. RIMAVSK� SOBOTA (od r. 1996 REV�CA) � 3�;
                                SIRK, okr. RO��AVA (od r. 1996 REV�CA) � 3�;
                                PETR�ALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 3�;
                                NAD JAZEROM (obec KO�ICE), okr. KO�ICE � 3�;
                                LUBEN�K, okr. RO��AVA (od r. 1996 REV�CA) � 2�;
                                RIMAVSK� SOBOTA, okr. RIMAVSK� SOBOTA � 2�;
                                These are the localities and number of times Fakla shows up in the 1995 census. Have fun!!!!!
                                Ben

                                --- Thanks so much for all your help. I'll try to find something
                                about them in Rimavska Sobota. I've had such a hard time trying to
                                get any research done so I very much appreciate your getting in touch
                                with me. Maybe I'll find some living relatives.
                                God bless you,
                                Donna

                                In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "margesonny" <m-s6hix2@.. .> wrote:

                                > I have tried the slovnik.juls. savba.sk site several time and cannot
                                > get anything in English. I click English but it still comes up in I
                                > guess Slovak. I find the 2 names I put in but cannot read anything.
                                >
                                > Any suggestions
                                >
                                > Thank you
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Peter Nagy <rndrnagy@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello,
                                > >
                                > > The surname Fakla is not very common, but it occurs in Rimavska
                                > Sobota.
                                > > Check the frequency of the surname in Slovakia using
                                > > http://slovnik. juls.savba. sk/ (for explanation of the database
                                see
                                > > http://www.centroco nsult.sk/ genealogy/ juls.html ).
                                > >
                                > > Peter

                              • Peter Nagy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 13, 2009
                                  Margaret,

                                  Read please my hints:
                                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/juls.html

                                  There is explanation/translation of the Slovak texts

                                  Peter