Re: [S-R] Where to look next TRIMBATH, UKRAINE

  • Ludovit
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2009
      I have an Anne Trimbath on my mom's side of the family. No relation I
      believe but will be an interesting starting point when I get there. I
      have been very focused on paternal side.

      -Ludovit

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, conserg@... wrote:

      > Thank you for your suggestions.   Hopefully this will result in a
      20+ year success story.

      > Jean

      http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/POL/PolandBorderSurnames
      .html
      > to be very productive and helpful in the past. I can't speak for the
      > present.
      > http://www.pgsa.org
      > http://www.polishroots.com/ <- very good
      >
      > You may also want to engage a Galicia group, which would encompass
      > present-day southern Poland.
      > http://www.pgsa.org/Inter/galician.php
      > http://feefhs.org/ua/gal/resource.html
      >
      > another excellent research group is at http://feefhs.org/
      >
      > No surprise about the confusion. We've all been there. Of course
      you can
      > be ethnic Polish but live in other nation-states.
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > On Tue, January 27, 2009 9:57 am, conserg@... wrote:
      > > Bill - please let me know if you hav knowledge of any discussion
      groups
      > > for Poland.  I have a similar problem.  Don't know his last
      name and all
      > > documentation we have has different spellings.  He indicates
      he was
      > > Polish from Russia.  One relative thinks he might have been
      from Slovakia
      > > but I disagee.  He was adament he was Poish.
      > >
      > > Jean

      Czech
      > > Republic was in the Austria sphere. Slovakia was not, it was in
      Hungary.

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]
      > > On
      > > Behalf Of Lisa Baker
      > > Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:53 AM
      > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [S-R] Where to look next
      > >
      > > Hi group,
      > >
      > > I've been researching my grandfather Charl
      > es Trimbath for the past 14
      > > years and have run out of places to look, below is an introduction
      > > and timeline of facts I know about him.
      > >
      > > I'm hoping someone from the group can point out anything I've
      missed
      > > or an another direction I might search.
      > >
      > > Charles Trimbath (not his original name see below)lived in Fayette
      > > County, PA. According to family stories, he came to America with
      his
      > > mother and father. His father was killed after a poker game in a
      > > bar, supposedly this was in Republic, Fayette, PA (he used to
      point
      > > out the building where the bar was to his children). He also said
      > > that his father was buried in a nearby town (possibly New Salem)
      but
      > > I've never been able to locate a grave or a record of his death.
      > >
      > > After his fathers death, his mother did not want to stay in
      America
      > > but was afraid if she took him back to the "old country" he would
      be
      > > conscripted into the military.
      > >
      > > I found an article dated July 28, 1914 in which the Austro-
      Hungarian
      > > Consul Louis Vaczek stated that every Austrian and Hungarian in
      > > Fayette Cou
      > > nty is notified to be prepared for any crisis in the
      > > pending war between their country and the Servian government.
      > >
      > > His mother made arrangements for him to stay in a boarding house
      and
      > > she went back home. My Aunt said he told her the boarding house
      was
      > > dirty and the lady had lots of children.
      > >
      > > Why his name was something else (but I don't know what)
      > >
      > > The family had always been t
      > old that Charlie Trimbath was not
      > > Grandpas real name, he said when he went to work in the mines
      that's
      > > what they called him.
      > >
      > > I was took this story with a grain of salt until last year. That's
      > > when I received an email from a man named Robert Trimbath; his
      family
      > > is from Fayette County.
      > >
      > > This is what he told me, quote: "my father who has passed now,
      told
      > > me of a young man named Charles, he said that he thought he was
      > > polish but couldn't remember. Anyway the story I was told was
      that my
      > > great-grandfather worked at the mine with Charles and kind of took
      > > him in since he had no family here, he had a name which I do not
      > > know, but dad said it was very hard to pronounce, the paymaster at
      > > the mine just started calling him Trimbath and it stuck. I guess
      this
      > > seemed logical since they were always together".
      > >
      > > This is the first time I've had someone outside of the family
      > > collaborate a family story so I have given this much more weight
      in
      > > my research. Not that it helps much if I don't know Grandpa's real
      > > name.
      > >
      > > Another fact about Grandpa is=2
      > > 0that even though he married in the
      > > Roman Catholic Church he still walked to a nearby town (possibly
      New
      > > Salem) to attend the "other" Catholic Church, possibly Orthodox,
      my
      > > Aunt remember walking in the snow to Christmas mass in January.
      > >
      > > The other fact I have is that he was never naturalized (searched,
      no
      > > papers located) and never voted.
      > >
      > > TIMELINE:
      > >
      > > 191720or before letter from my Aunt say he was Karlos Terembitz
      and
      > > lived in Keisterville, PA 15449, she also thought?? that there
      > > were "relatives"? Named Patton that lived in Hastings, PA
      > >
      > > 1917 April 25 Marriage License, name Charles Trembath, born
      Austria,
      > > age 21, father Frank Trembath, deceased, mother Annie Trembath
      > > (maiden name Medleck) living in Austria.
      > >
      > > 1917 April 26 Notice in the Uniontown Daily News Standard marriage
      > > license issued for Charles Trimbath of Thompson #2 Fayette, PA and
      > > Mary Margaret Buksar.
      > >
      > > 1917 May 15 Charles Trembath and Mary Margaret Buksar wed at Holy
      > > Rosary
      > > Church, Republic, Fayette, PA
      > >
      > > 1917 June 5 Draft Registration WWI, name Charley Trembath, age 21,
      > > living on Gil Road, Republic, Fayette, PA listed as an Alien, born
      > > December 30, 1895 in Zara, Sigar, Austria and he is a citizen of
      > > Austria Hungary. Signed his name with an X
      > >
      > > 1920 Census, Fayette County, PA, name Charlie Trembetz or Trembatz
      > > born Beretski, Austria, emigrated (hard to read might be 1909 or
      1901)

      > > 1930 Census, Fayette County, PA, name Charles Trimbath, born
      > > Czechoslovakia
      > >
      > > 1936 December 5 Social Security Application, n
      > > ame Charles Trimbath,
      > > age 40, born December 31, 1896 in Haston, Cambria, PA, father
      Frank
      > > Trimbath, mother Anna Vaingar (her name on his marriage license
      was
      > > Medleck)
      > >
      > > 1942 April 27 WWII Draft Registration, name Charles Trimbath, age
      45,
      > > living at Tower Hill #1, Redstone Twp, Fayette, PA, born 31 Dec,
      > > 1896 in Cambria,
      > PA
      > >
      > > 1956 March 1 Applied for United Mine Workers Pension, name Charles
      > > Trimbath, born December 31, 1896, father Frank Trimbath born
      Austria,
      > > and mother Anna Medleck born Austria. Since early mine records
      were
      > > scarce he obtained affidavits from people who worked with him in
      the
      > > mines, the earliest record came from James Cover who stated he
      first
      > > became acquainted with Charles Trimbath on or about May 1915.
      James
      > > Cover was born 6 Dec 1896 so he would have been about the same
      age as
      > > Charles; James' father was Thomas Cover who was listed as a mine
      > > foreman in the 1920 census.
      > >
      > > 1987 January 15 Death Certificate, name Charles Trimbath, born 12-
      31-
      > > 1895 in Hastings, PA
      > >
      > > 2007 November Grandson of Charles Trimbath has DNA tested with
      Family
      > > Tree DNA, we were surprised when we found out Charles DNA matched
      > > with 5 participants. Below is information on the matches and where
      > > their family came from.
      > >
      > > William Kisseloff - Bill's paternal ancestors emigrated from Kars,
      > > Russia (now Turkey) to Los Angeles in 1911. They had been exiled
      by
      > > the Czar to the Southern Caucasian Mountains (near Mt. Ararat) for
      > > rejecting the Russian Orthodox Faith and joining a Christia
      > > n sect
      > > referred to as "Molokans" He had a Moscow historian trace paternal
      > > line back to a Maxim Kisilev or Kiselev who was born around late
      > > 1700's, no birthplace, but a relative claims the line originated
      in
      > > Moscow.
      > >
      > > Statement from Bill: Our common ancestor probably originated
      > > somewher
      > e in the Balkan region and then his descendents must have
      > > migrated throughout Europe (Austria, Hungry, Poland, Germany,
      Russia,
      > > etc.).
      > >
      > > Paul Gamaldi – Grandparents came from Italy to America in
      the early
      > > 1900's. He says his DNA does not match with very many Italians;
      most
      > > matches are from Poland and Ukraine.
      > >
      > > Michel Kryvenko - His grandfather was living in a house located
      near
      > > a lake at Vinnitsa, Ukraine, when the Russian revolution took
      place;
      > > his father was horrified by what he had seen and ran away to
      Poland
      > > then to France. Surname Êðèâåíêî may be
      written Kryvenko or
      > > Krivenko.
      > >
      > > Ron Paler - His grandfather immigrated to Canada and then to the
      US
      > > in the early 1900-1920. He was born in the Ukraine in a small
      village
      > > named Borstiew(sp?). This section was constantly in flux with
      Poland;