Re: My niece Michelle(Kammer) Kowalski and Baby Please more Prayers...Please read her journal Hugs Kathi

  • K Higgison
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      Michelle Kowalski
      HOME

      LOGO

      ABOUT

      Contact

      welcome . my story . JOURNAL . guestbook . photos . links . tributes . author sign in . help

      See All Photos

      Print this page
      Print entire Journal
      I want to receive journal update notifications

      Sort by: Date

      TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 03, 2009 09:05 PM, CST
      Hello Everyone

      Michelle continues to fight for her life. We were told by the neurologist that the vasospasms typically stop after about 10-14days...he is trying everything to prevent anymore vasospasms that will cause another stroke. My hope is that after this time period Michelle will start to improve. She needs to fight hard to get through the next few days...

      Michelle is having some other complications that are making it more difficult to get better. They are monitoring her closely....I hope and pray tomorrow will show something...anything but more bad news.

      As always, thank-you for your prayers... I could say let's kick it up a notch, but I don't know how that is possible. Obviously, we can not read your messages to Michelle at this time, but I hope one day she can simply read them herself!!

      Hopefully, I will be able to report something positive tomorrow....even if it is just no change...at this point I will take no change...it is better than what we have been getting.

      Much love
      Lisa and Tricia

      TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 03, 2009 03:21 PM, CST
      Hello everyone

      Very bad news today. In spite of the doctor's best efforts, Michelle has suffered a significant stroke to the left side of her brain. She has a lot of other things going on with her right now and she is very critical, she is literally fighting for her life.

      We don't have it in us to say much more right now. We want to go be with Michelle.

      Pray for a miracle
      Lisa and Tricia

      MONDAY, FEBRUARY 02, 2009 07:58 PM, CST
      Hello everyone

      Just getting home from the hospital and although I have been there for awhile it just never seems long enough...I never feel like there is a great time to leave.

      I sat in silence with Michelle for a long time this evening...just watching her and praying for her to get better sooner than later. I even said an entire rosary...for those of you who know me...um, not something I would normally do. Most of the time she looked peaceful, she does not appear to be in any pain...the fentanyl drip is doing wonders I am sure!! She would occasionally open her eyes...she seem to look at the picture of her and Matthew...then she would just close her eyes again. I noticed movement to her extremities, but she is still not really following any commands. Logically I know it is going to take time for her body and mind to recover from this, but I want it to happen yesterday!!

      Michelle's repeat echocardiogram (the test that checks heart pumping) came back a little higher than yesterday..EF 20%. Her troponin is down to 3.1. I know a lot of you reading this are probably wondering what the heck all this stuff means, but there are a lot of medical people out there too and I put in the numbers for them to understand. Anyways, this number is still not what I was hoping for, but it is an improvement from the first EF of 10%. I am cautiously optimistic that she will continue to improve...I can not fathom the alternative. They did check fetal heart tones today and the numbers looked good.

      A personal thank-you for all of Michelle's VEI coworkers involved in the conference call prayers today. That really meant a lot to my family. It is amazing how much people care about her. I truly think she would be dumbfounded to really see how much she is loved. We (me and trish) have always said she was the nice one--lol...

      I think that is enough for now...I know a lot of you have been telling me this website is great and you are very appreciative, but please know that it helps me just as much to see all of your messages. Sometimes it is hard to believe God can do such a thing...

      Much love to everyone
      Lisa

      MONDAY, FEBRUARY 02, 2009 02:10 PM, CST
      Hello everyone

      I am happy to report Michelle is looking better this morning. I actually just wrote an extremely long post and lost the dang thing!! Gotta love the hospital wireless!!

      First off, Michelle's transcranial doppler pressures are half of what they were yesterday, so no more angioplasty as of today...good news there.

      She has been weaned off one of her blood pressure meds, but still needs one..they are still keeping her blood pressures high to help with the vasospasms. Her troponin level this morning is 3.1 down from a high of 8.4. The docs think her EF of 10% is not accurate, this would be a blessing...they only did a 'quick' one last night due to her being so unstable. They will repeat the echocardiogram today and we are hoping her heart will show better numbers. This would be one screw up I wouldn't mind--lol.

      I brought in big pictures of Matt and Michelle and put them in her line of sight...she seemed pleased to have them there. I also put a nice big picture of Michelle in her room...I want the staff to see what a beautiful woman she is and connect with her on a more personal level vs them thinking of her as 'the patient in room...' Know what I mean?

      Overall, I am please with what I have seen thus far today. We can only get better from here... we do not want anymore bad news!!

      As always, keep the prayers coming...she is far from being stable, but today is definitely better than yesterday. She scared the shit out of us yesterday.

      Much love to all
      Lisa and Tricia

      SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 01, 2009 10:36 PM, CST
      Hello Family and Friends

      I wish I had better news to report, but I simply do not. Michelle is literally fighting for her life...the damage to her heart was substantial...her hearts ability to pump properly is very bad (EF is 10%). Couple this with the need to keep her blood pressure up and fluids high to help protect her brain from vasospasms and it is just not a good picture. It is kind of a catch 22 right now...what is better for the brain is reeking havoc with her heart. She remains sedated, but the nurse did note spontaneous movement to all her extremities. She will open her eyes intermittently, but the doctors really do not want her stimulated at this time...when we see her, we sit silently at her bedside.

      The neurologists will repeat the trans cranial doppler in the morning and if they are very high, they might have to take her back to angio...if they are lower, then they will try to cut back on her fluids and blood pressure medication. Cardiac cath has been excluded as any type of treatment because they do not feel it was any type of blockage that has caused the infarct (heart attack) to the heart. The infarct appears to be caused by the overload of fluids and the induced high blood pressure. Given her age and clean health history, I do not think they were expecting her heart to take such a hit...so to speak. BTW, second trop was 8.4 normal levels should be less than 0.01

      They will monitor her closely for congestive heart failure and/or pulmonary edema. She has a very experienced nurse taking care of her tonight and Michelle is her only patient. The neurologist told us that Michelle was by far the most critical patient on the unit.

      We left Michelle in good hands, I felt comfortable with her nurse and the neuro docs are on all night...the rosary my mother had made, by nuns, from rose petals saved when my grandpa Caruso passed was tightly in her hand when we left her. She would 'thumb' the beads...hopefully she could hear us and understand what it was...

      It has been a very difficult day for our family. Please keep Michelle and all the people taking care of her in your prayers.

      Much love to you all
      Lisa

      Page 1 of 3 Total Entries: 15

      1 2 3 Next Last

      5735 VISITS FROM FAMILY AND FRIENDS

      HELP SOMEONE ELSE WHEN THEY NEED IT MOST
      Tell a Friend about CaringBridge.

      Help CaringBridge provide this free service to others who need similar support.

      TRIBUTE DONATIONS TO CARINGBRIDGE
      Read the caring tributes in honor of Michelle .

      Make a donation in tribute to Michelle to provide CaringBridge to all families who need it.

      EMAIL AUTHOR
      lahamel@...

      HOSPITAL INFORMATION
      Henry Ford Hospital
      MI
      United States

      COPYRIGHT POLICY | PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS OF USE | CONTACT

      Copyright © 1997-2009 CaringBridge, a nonprofit organization. All rights reserved.

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009

        Hang in there, stay strong, my entire church is praying and we're all behind you all.

        Caye

        lahamel@comcast. net

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          While I appreciate your difficulties, this is not the appropriate venue
          for such correspondence. We are a genealogy forum. With nearly 1,000
          members, the focus needs to remain focused on genealogy and genealogy
          research. I suggest you find an alternate forum to communicate these
          matters.

          Please, no further correspondence on this topic.

          Thanks,

          Bill Tarkulich
          Slovak-Roots Moderator
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009

            Kathi:

            Can you give us an update on Michelle, please?  Thanks!

            Still praying in Palos Hills, Illinois!

            Caye

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
              Please contact her privately.