Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • RAHannig00@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
      I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
      right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
      might help.

      About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
      for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
      nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
      NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
      courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
      them about this very thing.
      I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
      naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
      Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
      request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
      need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
      section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
      including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
      Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
      certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

      Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

      Robin Hannig
      Palmer, PA
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
        Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
        Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
        death record...

      • RAHannig00@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
          << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
          death record... >>
          If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
          anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
          But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
          either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
          Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
          try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
          they will tell you if you need better documentation.
          Robin Hannig
          Palmer, PA
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
            Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
            started... too much genealogy going on around here!