Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Bruce Bagin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
      My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
      the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
      in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
      contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
      unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
      find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
      is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

      Bruce Bagin
      312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
      Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
      412-281-1110
      FAX 412-281-8481
      email bagin@...

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
        I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
        right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
        might help.

        About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
        for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
        nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
        NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
        courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
        them about this very thing.
        I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
        naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
        Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
        request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
        need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
        section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
        including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
        Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
        certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

        Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

        Robin Hannig
        Palmer, PA
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
          Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
          Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
          death record...

        • RAHannig00@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
            << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
            death record... >>
            If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
            anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
            But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
            either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
            Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
            try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
            they will tell you if you need better documentation.
            Robin Hannig
            Palmer, PA
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
              Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
              started... too much genealogy going on around here!