Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
      Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
      can't really help you.

      However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
      you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
      DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
      info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
      can get up to 5 for that $10)

      In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
      one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
      which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
      records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

      So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
      because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
      what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
      help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

      Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
      more help on making your queries more understandable.

    • Bruce Bagin
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
        My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
        the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
        in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
        contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
        unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
        find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
        is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

        Bruce Bagin
        312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
        412-281-1110
        FAX 412-281-8481
        email bagin@...

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
          I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
          right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
          might help.

          About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
          for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
          nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
          NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
          courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
          them about this very thing.
          I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
          naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
          Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
          request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
          need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
          section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
          including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
          Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
          certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

          Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

          Robin Hannig
          Palmer, PA
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
            Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
            Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
            death record...

          • RAHannig00@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
              << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
              death record... >>
              If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
              anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
              But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
              either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
              Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
              try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
              they will tell you if you need better documentation.
              Robin Hannig
              Palmer, PA
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                started... too much genealogy going on around here!