HELP

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
      WE ARE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT GELLERT AND GELLERTFALVA IN
      SLOVAKIA. IT NO LONGER SEEMS TO BE USED AS A VILLAGE PLACE NAME. A
      NAME LIST WE FOUND ON GENFORUM ASSOCIATED IT WITH A VILLAGE WHICH TODAY
      IS NAMED GERALTOV. HOWEVER, THIS VILLAGE CAN NOT BE THE ONE WE ARE
      SEARCHING FOR.

      WE BELIEVE THAT GELLERT/GELLERTFALVA IS LOCATED AT OR JUST BEYOND THE
      EDGE OF SPISSKE VLACHY BECAUSE THE RECORDS WE HAVE DISCOVERED (DEATH
      1908 -- GELLERTFALVA #20; BIRTHS 1894, 1898, 1900 -- GELLERTFALVA #01;
      BIRTH 1918 -- GELLERT #10; MARRIAGE 1910 -- GELLERT-SPISSKE VLACHY)
      WERE, ACCORDING TO THE RESEARCHER, WRITTEN IN THE PARISH BOOK WHERE ALL
      SMALL PLACES AFFILIATED WITH SPISSKE VLACHY ARE INCLUDED.

      WE ARE GREATLY HANDICAPPED BECAUSE WE DO NOT SPEAK, READ, R WRITE
      SLOVAK. THE SPISSKE VLACHY WEBSITE IN ENGLISH IS MOST INTERESTING, BUT
      NO HELP HERE. WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE ANY OTHER ENGLISH
      RESOURCES TO HELP.
    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
        The current day location of Geraltov was previously known by the following
        names at the dates shown:

        1339 = Geralthfolua

        1383 = Geralth

        1773 = Geralt

        1920 = Geraltovce

        1927 = Geralt

        1948 = Geraltov, magd. Gera'lt, Gelle'rt

        Okres Pres^ov, kray Vy'chodoslovensky'

        Population over time was:

        1869 = 175

        1880 = 169

        1890 = 171

        1900 = 186

        1910 = 159

        1921 = 164

        1930 = 175

        1940 = 193

        1948 = 1961 [sic] probably a typo in the reference, might read 196

        1961 = 154

        1970 = 136

        Source: Vlastivedny' Slovni'k obci' na Slovensku, "Country Dictionary Now
        and Then in Slovakia" 1977/1978, Bratislava.

        Enjoy

        Frank R. Plichta

        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
          I've searched my references and do not find any reference to the spelling
          Gellertfalva.

          I have however found the following:

          Gechelfalva

          Geralthfolua

          Geregwlfalwa

          Gergelfalu

          Gergelfalva

          Gergelyfalu

          Gergerfalva

          Gergo'falva

          Gerlachfalwa

          Gerlakfalua

          Gerlefalva

          When I look at the list of small villages that were taken into Spisske
          Vlachy there is no village/town/community with any kind of a name that is at
          all similar to Gellert or Gellertfalva.

          That is about all I can provide to you. If you would like to know about one
          of the villages above I could look at that futher.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
            Thank you for your quick reply. The second e in the name
            Gellertfalva has a ' over it. Would that change the spelling in
            references?

            Since the name in the records is followed by a number sign and a
            number, could Gellertfalva be a street or well-known, at that time,
            section of town. That is, not a village or community, per se?

            If you think this might be so, how can it be verified?

            Thanks again. Your help and insights are very valuable and greatly
            appreciated.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta"

            ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

          • dulli862@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
              There is a Gellert hill in Budepest. It overlooks the Danube.
              I haven't been following the whole discussion but could this info be helpful?

              Gellert
              Falva

              Basia
              steps!
              cemailfooterNO62)

            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
                It would be helpful to know what kind of record you are looking at.

                It is a European address convention to write the street name followed by the
                house number. Additionally, the postal code and city/village/town name
                would usually be written before the street name. It would appear as
                follows:

                Frank R. Plichta

                24333 Galax

                Prospect Avenue 103

                Virginia

                U.S.A.

                The accent over the second e’ or é (doesn’t always show up correctly in
                emails) would affect how the word in pronounced. It would also affect how
                the word is placed in alphabetical order.

                Could you describe the source and nature of the record you are looking at?

                Frank

                _____

                ROOTS@yahoogroups. <mailto:ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> com] On
                > Behalf Of jtgen96
                > Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:48 AM
                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [S-R] HELP
                >

                > WE ARE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT GELLERT AND GELLERTFALVA IN
                > SLOVAKIA. IT NO LONGER SEEMS TO BE USED AS A VILLAGE PLACE NAME. A
                > NAME LIST WE FOUND ON GENFORUM ASSOCIATED IT WITH A VILLAGE WHICH
                TODAY
                > IS NAMED GERALTOV. HOWEVER, THIS VILLAGE CAN NOT BE THE ONE WE ARE
                > SEARCHING FOR.
                >
                > WE BELIEVE THAT GELLERT/GELLERTFALVA IS LOCATED AT OR JUST BEYOND
                THE
                > EDGE OF SPISSKE VLACHY BECAUSE THE RECORDS WE HAVE DISCOVERED
                (DEATH
                > 1908 -- GELLERTFALVA #20; BIRTHS 1894, 1898, 1900 -- GELLERTFALVA
                #01;
                > BIRTH 1918 -- GELLERT #10; MARRIAGE 1910 -- GELLERT-SPISSKE VLACHY)
                > WERE, ACCORDING TO THE RESEARCHER, WRITTEN IN THE PARISH BOOK WHERE
                ALL
                > SMALL PLACES AFFILIATED WITH SPISSKE VLACHY ARE INCLUDED.
                >
                > WE ARE GREATLY HANDICAPPED BECAUSE WE DO NOT SPEAK, READ, R WRITE
                > SLOVAK. THE SPISSKE VLACHY WEBSITE IN ENGLISH IS MOST INTERESTING,
                BUT
                > NO HELP HERE. WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE ANY OTHER ENGLISH
                > RESOURCES TO HELP.

              • genealogyslovakia
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                  Hello,

                  I have made saerching in Spisske Vlachy parish house in December
                  2008.
                  I have seen in birth / marriage/ death records Gellertfalva what
                  is a part on the edge of Spisske Vlachy today.
                  I searched Ondzik family there for Mr.Kelly from US.

                  best regards,
                  Juraj
                  jurajcisarik@...
                  www.cisarik.com
                  . . . archive searching in the state archives of Slovakia and
                  being a tourist guide hired by days in Slovakia.

                • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                    Radix has it
                    http://www.radixindex.com/placeindex/gellertfalva.shtml

                    Zipser Land und Leute (on Google Books) lists it as Geroldsdorf, now part of Wallendorf (Spisske Vlachy), in Magyar Gellertfalva, in Slowak Dobra Vol'a.

                    http://books.google.com/books?id=KFB9AAAAMAAJ&q=Gellertfalva&dq=Gellertfalva&pgis=1

                    Thomas

                  • voony
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                      Greetings Juraj
                      I may be interested in having research done on the name Sugar,Sugars, can you tell me what you charge?

                      Bob

                      ________________________________

                      jurajcisarik@ hotmail.com

                    • david1law@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                        Dear Frank:

                        What surnames are you searching for? My grandparents lived in SPISSKE
                        VLACHY and my ancestors are from many of the adjacent villages. I am somewhat
                        familiar with the records for SPISSKE VLACHY and very familiar with the records
                        of the adjacent villages.

                        Sincerely,

                        David Baloga

                      • Frank R Plichta
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                          David,

                          I'm searching for PLICHTA, PLICHTOVA also spelled PLIHTA, PLIHTOVA.

                          According to my research you should not find anyone in Spisske Vlachy unless
                          they moved there recently. The surname PLICHTA appears in only 16 locations
                          in Slovakia. According to information I have compiled since 1995, there are
                          approximately only 155 Plichta individuals in Slovakia.

                          Keep your eyes open. Thanks for the offer.

                          Frank

                          _____

                          What surnames are you searching for? My grandparents lived in SPISSKE
                          VLACHY and my ancestors are from many of the adjacent villages. I am
                          somewhat
                          familiar with the records for SPISSKE VLACHY and very familiar with the
                          records
                          of the adjacent villages.

                          Sincerely,

                          David Baloga
                          **************From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between,
                          stay
                          up-to-date with the latest news. (http://aol.com?
                          <http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023> ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023)

                        • david1law@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                            Hi Frank:

                            Thank you for the information. I will keep the surname in mind when I'm
                            doing my research. If you know other surnames in your ancestry, it may be
                            helpful as a way to cross-reference and double-check the location.

                            Best regards,

                            David

                          • Margaret Hicks
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                              A suggestion, please do not write in all capital letters, it is hard to read and in e-mail etiquette all caps is shouting your message

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
                                THIS IS IT! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! All this name changing really
                                makes it even more difficult to trace our ancestors. All this help
                                is so valuable.

                                Gwen