Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • John Kozakiewicz
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 7 4:34 PM
      Maura,

      I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
      grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
      for me, so I gave up.

      John Kozakiewicz

      At 06:02 PM 8/7/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
      >them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
      >state they were in for the naturalization papers?
      >Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
      >found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
      >censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
      >checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
      >you gotten their obituaries?
      >
      >There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
      >find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
      >your local FHC or local genealogy society.
      >It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
      >Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
      >in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
      >can do most of these things pretty easily.

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7 4:34 PM
        Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
        and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7 5:45 PM
          Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
          can't really help you.

          However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
          you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
          DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
          info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
          can get up to 5 for that $10)

          In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
          one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
          which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
          records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

          So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
          because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
          what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
          help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

          Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
          more help on making your queries more understandable.

        • Bruce Bagin
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7 6:35 PM
            My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
            the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
            in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
            contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
            unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
            find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
            is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

            Bruce Bagin
            312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
            Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
            412-281-1110
            FAX 412-281-8481
            email bagin@...

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 7 7:00 PM
              I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
              right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
              might help.

              About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
              for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
              nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
              NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
              courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
              them about this very thing.
              I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
              naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
              Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
              request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
              need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
              section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
              including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
              Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
              certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

              Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

              Robin Hannig
              Palmer, PA
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 7 7:35 PM
                Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                death record...

              • RAHannig00@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 8 7:17 AM
                  << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                  death record... >>
                  If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                  anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                  But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                  either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                  Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                  try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                  they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                  Robin Hannig
                  Palmer, PA
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 8 10:53 PM
                    Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                    started... too much genealogy going on around here!