Lipyanic - Strihorviski

  • sanbreezy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
      Hello, I'm a new member, and excited to communicate with others like
      myself, searching for genealogy. Hoping that maybe I could find some
      information about my family. I would appreciate any resources,
      suggestions you can give me. My grandfather and grandmother
      immigrated to USA and settled in Saylorsburg, Rose Township,
      Pennsylvania. USA census from 1920/1930 indicate grandfather, Matthew
      (Matis) Lipyanic, born 2/8/1888 immigrated in 1904 or 1907 (different
      years on both) to PA. Grandmother, Irene H Strihorviski, born 1888
      immigrated same dates to AL. I was trying to find passenger lists
      from ports of Phillidaphia, but I'm not sure that's the way to go?
      My resources are running out. Tried Ancestry.com and others on
      internet, but have had no luck. I have a document that indicates my
      grandfathers place of birth is Bicoskonovoves, country
      CzeckoSlavakia. Also, seen on census documents, Slovakland and
      Czechoslovak and both spoke Slovak. Grandmother never spoke much
      English, my father said. She died at a young age in late 40's, I
      think. My father passed away in 1982 and although he is one of nine
      children. The only other information I have found is grandfather may
      have brother George and changed spelling of last name to Lipyanik,
      grandmother may have sister Bertha, but both are not confirmed. My
      father was only child that moved out of PA, and we still reside in
      Michigan and still have contact with relations in PA . I'm looking
      for any roots from my grandparents. I can't find anything on (Place
      of Birth) Bicoskonovoves, like it doesn't exist? My questions are:
      These surnames; Where do they come from? How to find documents like:
      Where were my grandparents born? Documents that confirm when they
      came to USA; there parents, brothers and sisters? Thank you so much
      for your time and your website SLOVAK-ROOTS.
    • Peter Nagy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
        Sandra,

        What about surname Lipjanec, which is common in town Pečovská Nová Ves.
        Check yourselves
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/juls.html

        Peter
      • Julie Michutka
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
          Welcome to the list, Sandra!

          On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:20 PM, sanbreezy wrote:

          > I have a document that indicates my
          > grandfathers place of birth is Bicoskonovoves, country
          > CzeckoSlavakia.

          Could you tell us what this document is? is the place of birth typed,
          or handwritten? if handwritten, is it possible for you to scan it and
          put it in the Slovak Roots files, so others can look at it and see if
          they read the letters differently? Also, who supplied the information
          for the document (your grandfather himself, or someone else?) and who
          actually filled in the information (eg were they trying to to
          phonetically spell what they heard your grandfather say)?

          Checking Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republicky, there is no place named
          Bicoskonovoves; the closest I see at first glance is Bic~anske Rowne,
          which today is called Velke Rovne, in the NW part of the country. But
          that's really a stab in the dark on my part, trying to find a town
          name which, if mangled, might match what you have.

          Even tho' the family settled in PA, they didn't necessarily come
          through the port of Philadelphia. It's worth checking the NY
          passenger lists online, either through the Ellis Island site or
          through ancestry.com, or through Steven Morse's excellent portal to
          those sites (www.stevenmorse.org). Ellis Island and Ancestry each did
          their own index to the passenger lists, so if you don't find your
          family through one, try the other.

          Did you find your family in the 1910 census?

          Did your grandparents marry here? If so, their marriage record(s)
          could be a good source of information. What about your grandmother's
          and grandfather's death certificates? Especially for whichever one
          died first, because possibly the surviving (and knowledgeable) spouse
          supplied the information, such as place of birth. Obits? Was your
          grandfather working late enough that he applied for a social security
          card, in which case the application might well give his place of
          birth. What about WW I draft cards, and WW II "old men's" cards
          (search for those on ancestry).

          I grew up in mid-Michigan, between Lansing and Grand Rapids. Always
          nice to find another Michigan person on the list!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2009
             I have a document that indicates my
            grandfathers place of birth is Bicoskonovoves, country
            CzeckoSlavakia.

            Obviously, the name of that town was three words, the last two are definately Nova Ves (New Village).

            If you could place that document on the site or send it to someone via email, I am sure you will have more success.
            Ben

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 27, 2009
              Sandra,
              Peter Nagy's suggestion that the town's name is really Pecovskonoves
              makes sense. The town was formerly called Pecsujfalu when it was
              part of Hungary. I found immigration records from Pecsujfalu of
              individuals named Lipjanecz (which would be Lipjanec in Slovak)but
              unfortunately none with a first name similiar to Matis or Irene.
              Still, this is probably the right town and would be worth obtaining
              the church records for it from the LDS Family History Center.
              good luck,
              CK

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sanbreezy" <sandra@...> wrote:

              > Hello, I'm a new member, and excited to communicate with others
              like
              > myself, searching for genealogy. Hoping that maybe I could find
              some
              > information about my family. I would appreciate any resources,
              > suggestions you can give me. My grandfather and grandmother
              > immigrated to USA and settled in Saylorsburg, Rose Township,
              > Pennsylvania. USA census from 1920/1930 indicate grandfather,
              Matthew
              > (Matis) Lipyanic, born 2/8/1888 immigrated in 1904 or 1907
              (different
              > years on both) to PA. Grandmother, Irene H Strihorviski, born 1888
              > immigrated same dates to AL. I was trying to find passenger lists
              > from ports of Phillidaphia, but I'm not sure that's the way to go?
              > My resources are running out. Tried Ancestry.com and others on
              > internet, but have had no luck. I have a document that indicates my
              > grandfathers place of birth is Bicoskonovoves, country
              > CzeckoSlavakia. Also, seen on census documents, Slovakland and
              > Czechoslovak and both spoke Slovak. Grandmother never spoke much
              > English, my father said. She died at a young age in late 40's, I
              > think. My father passed away in 1982 and although he is one of
              nine
              > children. The only other information I have found is grandfather
              may
              > have brother George and changed spelling of last name to Lipyanik,
              > grandmother may have sister Bertha, but both are not confirmed. My
              > father was only child that moved out of PA, and we still reside in
              > Michigan and still have contact with relations in PA . I'm looking
              > for any roots from my grandparents. I can't find anything on
              (Place
              > of Birth) Bicoskonovoves, like it doesn't exist? My questions are:
              > These surnames; Where do they come from? How to find documents
              like:
              > Where were my grandparents born? Documents that confirm when they
              > came to USA; there parents, brothers and sisters? Thank you so
              much
              > for your time and your website SLOVAK-ROOTS.

            • Sandra Husted
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2009
                Thank you so much for all your replies! I was so excited about all these new resource tools (websites) I've been busy trying to find documents. Unfortunately haven't found much. Couldn't find anything on passenger lists from NY or Ellis Island, tried the stevenmorse.org and ancestry.com. The document with place of birth for my grandfather was a draft registration card and I did find him on a 1910 USA Census, spelling of last name was Lyippanyeck, Wow. Was married at that time, don't know about when they were married, here or Slovakia. Going to try and get more information from my Aunt in PA. Thank you so much for your ideas. I'm really new at genealogy, and will have many questions.

                Sandy from Northern MI

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 29, 2009
                  Thank you so much for this information, with all the different spellings of last names. I would really like to pursue this, how do I get records from LDS Family History Center? I am so new at this.
                  Thanks, Sandy

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2009
                    Sandra,
                    I saw your ancestor's census records for
                    1930, 1920 and also 1910. In the 1910 census, Mathew's last name is
                    extremely hard to read but he is with Irene in PA so this is the
                    correct family. If you look on Ancestry.com and do a search under
                    the name: "MATEY LYIPPANYECK" OR "MATEJ LYIJCZANYECK" you will find
                    them in the 1910 Federal census. You can then confirm this record in
                    the 1910 PA Mirimex records. Do another search using the name: Matej
                    Lyijeyanyeck and you will find Mathew and Irene in those records.

                    The spelling of the names may give you a clue as to how Mathew is
                    listed on his immigration records. I tried several variations but
                    could not find them. It appears that Mathew married Irene here in
                    the States. If so, it is puzzling why her immigration records don't
                    appear under the name Iren Strihorviski. But I couldn't find her
                    either.

                    You can order the film of the church records for Pecovaska Nova Ves
                    from the LDS. What was your families religion? Since your
                    family came around 1907, the town would have had a Hungarian name at
                    that time. It was called Pecsujfalu and also Pechujfalu. Here is the
                    link to the LDS library index:
                    http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                    Do a Keyword search on the name Pechujfalu. If they
                    were Roman Catholic, they list the films for that town and also the
                    1869 census. If they were some other religion, they might have
                    attended church in Sabinov so search on that that town for the
                    location of the correct religion of your family.
                    Once you find the films you want, you will have to go to a Family
                    History Center and order them from Utah. When they arrive, you can
                    use their readers to review the films.
                    I tried to send you the film information but your email address here
                    at Slovak Roots must be incorrect because the mail bounces.
                    CK

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Husted" <sandra@...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Carl, you have been so helpful! My grandparents religion is Catholic, so that must be Roman Catholic. I'm having trouble finding information on Pechuifalu on the LDS library using Keyword. But, before I was searching around in website (can't remember how I got there) but I was using Pecovska Nova Ves, 1869 census, Roman Catholic. This got me to FHL film 2150624 item 2, don't know if thats correct. I would like to order but I don't want to order the wrong one. Tried to fix my default email address on yahoo, but was unsuccessful. My email address is: sandra@... . I would really appreciate it if you could send me that film information you mentioned. I find it difficult to remember, back track where I already did reseach, I get so confused. But, very rewarding when I find something. Thanks again CK and slovak-roots.
                      Sandy

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
                        Hi Sandra,
                        I think you are spelling the town name incorrectly which is why it
                        isn't coming up for you in the LDS catalog. The town is Pechujfalu
                        with a "j" not Pechuifalu. Using this spelling, I got the following
                        film numbers for the Catholic church records:

                        Authors Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Peèovská Nova(Sabinov)
                        (Main Author)
                        Note Location
                        Film
                        Krsty 1699-1743 Uzavreté manželstvá 1708 Uzavreté manželstvá 1716-
                        1718 Krsty 1846 Krsty 1843-1845 Úmrtia 1729-1750 FHL INTL Film
                        1793221 Items 3-4

                        Úmrtia 1750-1805 Uzavreté manželstvá 1729-1804 Konvertiti 1826-1866
                        Uzavreté manželstvá 1779 Konvertiti 1728-1824 Krsty 1745-1829
                        Birmovaní 1836, 1749, 1805, 1825 Zoznam kòazov 1699-1890 Krsty 1830-
                        1854 FHL INTL Film
                        1793222
                        Krsty 1854-1871 Birmovaní 1914, 1851 Úmrtia 1853-1871 Birmovaní 1878,
                        1888, 1906 Dáta snúbencov 1908-1915 Birmovaní 1922, 1927, 1932 Krsty
                        1872-1879 Úmrtia 1872-1879 Uzavreté manželstvá 1872-1887 Krsty 1879-
                        1891 FHL INTL Film
                        1793223
                        Krsty 1891-1896 Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1865 Krsty,
                        uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1868 Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia
                        1870 Krsty 1876-1895 Uzavreté manželstvá 1876-1884 Uzavreté
                        manželstvá 1887-1892 Uzavreté manželstvá 1894-1895 Úmrtia 1886, 1874
                        Úmrtia 1876-1884 Úmrtia 1886-1895 FHL INTL Film
                        1793224 Items 1-3

                        So, I would recommend starting with film number 1793224 which has
                        birth, marriage and death records for the late 1800's. If your
                        grandfather was born around 1888, you should be able to find his
                        baptism records on this film. If this is the correct church, you can
                        then follow his parents back with their marriage records etc. If you
                        get lucky, looks like you might be able to go all the way back to
                        1699 in earlier films. The film number you listed in your message is
                        for the 1869 census for that village. I'd wait to order this until
                        you find your family in the church records. That way you will know
                        which individuals that have your surname are your direct ancestors.
                        Too bad you can't change your email address because the site won't
                        show it in your message. If you email me using my email on the site,
                        I'll be able to return messages to you directly off site.