How did they get here?

  • pepos51
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
      I have been look at how my Grandparents John Pepos (Dzoganik) and Maria
      Evanko (Ivanko) got to the USA. I found them in Slovakia, John Dzoganik
      in Cernina, and Maria Ivanko in Ortutova. I have their marriage
      certificate from Hazleton Penn. but I can seem to find how they got
      here. According to the 1900 census John got here in 1885 and Maria or
      Mary as she was called here in 1889. I've looked on Ancestry and
      have looked at the FHC. I've looked on Stevenmorse.org also.
      I've spelled the names every way I could think of. What am I
      missing? I have a copy of my grandfather's citizenship papers but
      not the first intent papers. Any suggestions will be a great help.
      Thanks Marie

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009

        Go back to the steve morris pages -- select the gold form -- search by Town Name only -- you get a list of all those coming from that village -- you could also try the bremen lists as well, but the span is only a few years.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
          Their immigration file usually contains a document which describes when and
          how they arrived here. I would suggest submitting a petition for that.
          Bill

          Genealogy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

          Questions and answers about the Program, Making Requests, Fees, and Further
          Research.

          About the Program

          *
          What records are included in the USCIS Genealogy Program?

          Records are available from five series of agency records. Click the
          "historical records series" link at top right.

          *
          How do I submit a question about my request results?

          Questions about index search results or record copies that you have already
          received should be directed to genealogy.uscis@.... Please include your
          case identification number in your message.

          *
          Should I submit an index search request before I submit a records
          request?

          All record requests require a valid file number. If you do not have the
          appropriate file number an index search will be necessary. For more
          information about file numbers follow the "Sample File Numbers" link in the
          "related links" column of this page.

          *
          How long will it take to get a response?

          Our mission is to provide a timely response to all requests, and our initial
          goal is to respond to all Index Search Requests within four to six weeks,
          and all Record Requests within six to eight weeks. Once the program begins
          operation this answer will be updated to reflect actual program operational
          time frames.

          *
          Why can't I search the historical indices myself?

          Access to USCIS records and indices is restricted for purposes of both law
          enforcement and privacy. While described as "historical," the oldest
          indices include information dated as recently as 1975. Open access to such
          personal information about living persons would constitute a clear violation
          of the Privacy Act that protects us all.

          Making Requests

          *
          How do I submit a request for an index search and/or a copy of a
          record?

          Requests may be submitted online using a credit card, or by mail using a
          money order or cashiers check. Click one of the "Make a Genealogy Request"
          links for forms and more information.

          *
          What information am I required to provide for a search of the
          historical indices, and what do I get in return?

          You must provide at least the immigrant's full name (including variant
          spellings and/or aliases), his or her date of birth (if you don't have exact
          month and/or day, the year is needed) and country of birth. For a fully
          successful search, you should also provide information on where the
          immigrant lived in the United States (for example, "lived in New York in
          1920's, then in CT in 1930 to death"). Other information can be helpful,
          such as names of spouse and children, marriage dates, military service, etc.

          In return you will receive a report of search results, which will vary on a
          case by case basis depending on the biography of the immigrant. A typical
          index search response will include a file number, information about the file
          series, and additional information as follows:

          File Number
          (and Series)

          Report will include . . .

          A-Number
          (Alien Registration Forms AR-2)

          Instructions on how to submit a USCIS Genealogy Record Request.

          A-Number
          (A-Files below 8 million)

          Instructions on how to submit a USCIS Genealogy Record Request (or a Freedom
          of Information/Privacy Act request, if applicable).

          C-Number
          (Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate Files)

          Court and date of naturalization, petition number when available;
          Instructions on how to submit a USCIS Genealogy Record Request.

          Visa Number
          (Visa Files, 1924-1944)

          Name at entry; port, date, and ship of arrival; Instructions on how to
          submit a USCIS Genealogy Record Request.

          R-Number
          (Registry Files, 1929-1944)

          Instructions on how to submit a USCIS Genealogy Record Request.

          [File number]
          (Chinese Exclusion Field Files, 1882-1944)

          Instructions on how to request the file from the National Archives (Regional
          Facilities).

          [File number]
          (Subject Correspondence Files, 1893-1957)

          Instructions on how to request the file from the National Archives
          (Washington, DC).

          "No Record"

          A negative, "no record" response means nothing could be found in the index
          matching the information provided in the request. Some "no record"
          millions of index entries. This occurs when 1) the request is to search a
          very common name, and/or 2) the request provides little or no additional
          information to help us identify one immigrant from another.

          *
          What information am I required to provide to retrieve a copy of a
          historical record, and what will I get in return?

          To request a record, you must identify the file by the correct file number
          and name the immigrant named in the record. In return, you will receive the
          best possible copy of the record. File numbers may be learned from an Index
          Search Request or, in some cases, through independent research. There are
          four series of file numbers (five series of files) available through a
          Record Request:

          C-File number for a naturalization or citizenship certificate file,
          1906-1956. These numbers are found on original certificates and
          occasionally on other documents. See the section on this record series for
          more information.

          Alien Registration Number (A-number) for a Form AR-2 and/or an A-File
          numbered below 8 million. These 7 digit numbers may be found among an
          immigrant's personal papers, or after about 1942, on some court
          naturalization papers. See the section on this record series for more
          information. Important: Alien Registration Forms AR-2 are only available
          for A-numbers 1 million to 5 980 116, A6 100 000 to 6 132 126, A7 000 000 to
          7 043 999, and A7 500 000 to 7 759 142.

          Visa File number for a Visa File. These numbers were assigned
          internally by the immigration agency and are not available outside an index
          search request. Note well the Visa File number does not appear on a ship
          passenger list. See the section on this record series for more information.

          Registry File number (R-number) for a Registry File. Some Registry
          File numbers are found on land border card manifests now available on
          National Archives Microfilm. Occasionally a researcher will find an
          immigrant's Certificate of Registry or Certificate of Lawful Entry among
          personal papers, and those cards may or may not include the R-number. The
          majority of Registry File numbers will only be available through an Index
          Search Request. See the section on this record series for more
          information.

          *
          Do I need to include proof of death with my request? What are
          acceptable forms of proof of death?

          If the subject of your request was born less than 100 years before the date
          of your request, you must provide documentary proof of death with your
          request. Acceptable forms of proof of death include:

          . Death certificate
          . A printed obituary, funeral program, or photograph of gravestone
          . Bible, church, or other religious record
          . U.S. Social Security Death Index record (individual records, not
          lists)
          . Records related to the payment of death benefits
          . Other documents demonstrating that the subject of the request is
          deceased.

          Please submit copies of these records with your request. Do not submit
          original documents as these documents will not be returned.

          *
          Should I make a Genealogy or FOIA/PA request--how do I decide?

          For most researchers, the answer to this question will be determined by the
          records they seek. If requesting records of an immigrant who naturalized
          prior to April 1, 1956, or who arrived prior to ca. 1945, submit a Genealogy
          request. Anyone searching for records of a naturalization on or after April
          1, 1956, or arrival after May 1, 1951, will submit a FOIA request.

          There is an area of overlapping dates (1944-1956) where researchers will not
          know which program applies. In such doubtful cases, a Genealogy Index
          Search Request (G-1041) that identifies records outside the scope of the
          Genealogy Program will provide search results identifying the records and
          providing instructions for requesting them under FOIA. Similarly, if a FOIA
          request identifies records covered by the Genealogy Program, the FOIA
          Program will provide instructions for requesting those records using the
          Genealogy Record Request Form (G-1041A).

          Note: FOIA requests of an obviously genealogical nature (i.e., born more
          than 100 years ago, naturalized prior to 1956, etc.) will be returned to the
          requester with instructions for re-submitting the request through the
          Genealogy Program.

          *
          Several months ago I submitted a FOIA request for records now included
          in the Genealogy Program, should I also submit a genealogy request?

          If you submitted a request to the USCIS FOIA program prior to August 13,
          2008, the FOIA program will process your request and questions regarding its
          status should be directed to the FOIA program.

          If you wish, you can abandon your FOIA request in favor of a Genealogy
          Program request. Do so by contacting the USCIS FOIA Program and instructing
          them to cancel your request. Be sure to provide the FOIA case number. Then
          submit a Genealogy Program request.

          FOIA requests for historical records included in the USCIS Genealogy Program
          submitted to the USCIS FOIA Program on August 13, 2008 or later will be
          returned to the requester with instructions for re-submitting the request
          through the Genealogy Program.

          About the Fees

          *
          How do I pay the fees?

          Fees for online requests are paid by credit card using the Treasury
          Department's Pay.Gov service. One can submit a request online and choose to
          pay the fee by mail (see below), but the request will not be processed until
          the fee is received.

          Fees for postal mail requests or online requests (see above) are paid by
          money order or cashier's check (no personal checks will be accepted)
          submitted and mailed with request form G-1041 or G-1041A. Requests mailed
          without payment will be held while the requester is contacted to submit the
          fee. If payment is not received within 30 days of submitting the request,
          the request will be canceled.

          *
          What is the refund policy?

          There are only two instances where any fees will be refunded by the
          Genealogy Program. They are:

          1. When an Index Search Request provides a file number, the researcher uses
          that number to submit a Record Request with case ID (the prior index
          request), and the Genealogy Program is then unable to locate the file
          previously identified. The Genealogy Program will complete a Form G-266,
          Request for Refund of Fee, and notify the researcher accordingly.

          2. When a G-1041 or G-1041A is submitted by postal mail and includes an
          overpayment of fee (for example, if someone submitted form G-1041 ($20) but
          attached a fee of $35). The Genealogy Program will process the request and
          complete Form G-266, Request for Refund of Fee, to cover the overpayment (in
          this example, $15). Please pay fees in the exact amount only.

          *
          Why do copies of textual records cost more than copies of microfilm
          records?

          All fees cover the costs incurred in providing a service, and there are
          additional costs involved in providing textual files. Among these expenses
          are the fees paid by USCIS to a Federal Records Center to retrieve and
          return a textual file from storage. The program also incurs additional time
          and effort on shipping, handling, and duplication of textual files.
          Finally, most textual files contain a larger number of pages to be
          duplicated.

          About Further Research

          *
          Where can I find naturalization records from before September 27,
          1906?

          Naturalization activity prior to September 27, 1906, was under the exclusive
          jurisdiction of the courts. Naturalization records may be found in Federal,
          State, or local court records. Practice and procedure varied greatly over
          time and geographical location, and as a result the best information on how
          to find pre-1906 naturalization records is usually available from local
          sources. For more information on State and local courts, contact the State
          or county historical or genealogical society in the location where you
          believe the immigrant naturalized. For Federal court records, contact the
          National Archives or see their webpage at
          http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/naturalization/.

          *
          Where can I find immigration passenger manifests?

          Land, sea, and air manifests dated prior to December, 1982 are now
          maintained by the National Archives. For more information about these
          passenger lists, see the National Archives webpage:
          www.archives.gov/genealogy/immigration.

          Many historical passenger manifests are also available online through
          services such as ancestry.com and ellisisland.org.

          *
          How do I get copies of USCIS records that are not included in the
          Genealogy Program?

          Any USCIS records not included within the scope of the Genealogy Program,
          and not covered by any other rule or request form, may be requested under
          the Freedom of Information Act or Privacy Act (FOIA/PA).

          *
          Can the USCIS Genealogy Program provide me with documents to support a
          foreign application for dual citizenship?

          A Genealogy Index Search Request can provide you with information about a
          naturalization record found, or the failure to locate any naturalization for
          a given subject. A "no record" response does not serve as a certification
          of nonexistence.

          A Genealogy Record Request can provide an information copy of a
          naturalization record. The Genealogy Program does not provide certified
          copies.

          If you need only a copy of the naturalization certificate to satisfy
          requirements for your foreign application for dual citizenship, you may
          submit a G-1041A Record Request for the naturalization certificate only.
          Doing so will eliminate any additional processing delay resulting from
          information about the immigrant's children that may need review under the
          Privacy Act. To request only the certificate, write "Dual Citz--Natz
          Certificate Only" on your request form G-1041A or in the "optional
          information section" of your online request.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
            wrote:

            > Thank you! will give it a try. Marie
            by Town Name only -- you get a list of all those coming from that
            village -- you could also try the bremen lists as well, but the span
            is only a few years.

            > Caye

          • pepos51
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
              -Thanks Bill I should of thought of looking there.I got my Gparents
              homestead papers from the National archives. Marie
              -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"

              ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
              > Behalf Of pepos51
              > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 4:33 PM
              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [S-R] How did they get here?
              >

              > I have been look at how my Grandparents John Pepos (Dzoganik) and
              Maria
              > Evanko (Ivanko) got to the USA. I found them in Slovakia, John
              Dzoganik
              > in Cernina, and Maria Ivanko in Ortutova. I have their marriage
              > certificate from Hazleton Penn. but I can seem to find how they got
              > here. According to the 1900 census John got here in 1885 and Maria
              or
              > Mary as she was called here in 1889. I've looked on Ancestry and
              > have looked at the FHC. I've looked on Stevenmorse.org also.
              > I've spelled the names every way I could think of. What am I
              > missing? I have a copy of my grandfather's citizenship papers but
              > not the first intent papers. Any suggestions will be a great help.
              > Thanks Marie

            • genealogyslovakia
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
                Hello,

                Cernina village is on my website:
                http://www.cisarik.com/village-0412.html
                There is a list of surnames of still living people and there is also
                a surname Dzoganik that it belongs to your family tree.
                Ortutova village is on:
                http://www.cisarik.com/village-0422.html
                There is a surname Ivanco.

                In Slovakia at the state archive there are church records (birth,
                marriage and death) of Cernina:
                roman catholic for the period: 1750 - 1896
                greek catholic (byzanthine church) for the period: 1752 - 1896
                jewish records: 1851 - 1895

                Church records (birth, marriage and death) of Ortutova:
                greek catholic (byzanthine church) for the period: 1852 - 1924

                best regards,
                Juraj
                jurajcisarik@...
                www.cisarik.com
                . . . archive searching in the state archives of Slovakia and
                being a tourist guide hired by days in Slovakia.

              • EMSCRS@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
                  Did you check to see if they came through Ellis Island? Have you checked to
                  see if either the county where they filed, or the State Archives or NARA
                  might have the Declaration of Intent (county and/or state would be the best
                  bet)? Keep in mind that Ellis Island did have a fire, and the records may have
                  been among those lost.

                  Actually, their records should have been at Castle Garden
                  (_www.castlegarden.org_ (http://www.castlegarden.org) ), which does not offer a Soundex-type
                  search option, but I actually did find my Jane and Mary Kelly there (very time
                  consuming).

                  Elizabeth
                  steps!
                  cemailfooterNO62)

                • pepos51
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
                    -Elizabeth
                    I've check both ports, they came before Ellis Island and Castle
                    Garden. Nobody ever said how they got here. My grandmother died when
                    I was a year old and granddad died in 1937. Their children are all
                    gone now, its to bad I didn't get the genealogy bug thirty years a
                    go. But if this is the only piece of the puzzle, I don't have I guess
                    I can live with it. I won't like it, but I have more information on
                    them, then I ever though possible. But I will keep looking it has to
                    be there some place. I have a few more years, left in this old body
                    and a few more trips to Salt Lake City. Thanks for taking the time,
                    to make suggestions and offer help. One of these times, everything
                    will just click and there it will be, the information I am looking
                    for.

                    Thank You

                    Marie
                    -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

                    > Did you check to see if they came through Ellis Island? Have you
                    checked to
                    > see if either the county where they filed, or the State Archives
                    or NARA
                    > might have the Declaration of Intent (county and/or state would be
                    the best
                    > bet)? Keep in mind that Ellis Island did have a fire, and the
                    records may have
                    > been among those lost.
                    >
                    > Actually, their records should have been at Castle Garden
                    > (_www.castlegarden.org_ (http://www.castlegarden.org) ), which does
                    not offer a Soundex-type
                    > search option, but I actually did find my Jane and Mary Kelly
                    there (very time
                    > consuming).
                    >
                    > Elizabeth
                    > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in