Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Bruce Bagin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
      For about four years. On my fathers baptismal certificate my grandmothers
      maiden name is given as Mueller not minor. My aunt was born in 1922, when
      my grandmother was 41 years old. The 1920 census shows my grandfather as
      fluent in English, but not my grandmother. Yet I don't recall that he had
      any fluency. My recolection is that my father would speak to them in a
      language that he called slovenian. I learned how to read at an early age
      because I could not speak slovenian and was left to read the english
      languange insert of the Slovak Catholic Sokol newspaper.

      I have contacted the SCS in Passiac to see whether they have records of the
      information provided to get the insurance policies,but I got a we'd like
      tohelp you but we're too busy.

      The people at the county courthouse in Milwaukee tell me that they do not
      have any naturalization papers for my grandfather.
      so did NARA Chicago. They must be someplace. The info on the LDS pubs is
      helpful and they have a center about 7 miles from here in Greentree, PA so I
      shall get over there this week.

      I would like to know more about my grandmother. Her mothers maiden name is
      a tongue twister and I wasn't sure whether it is a Slovak name because of
      the spelling. I don't speak the language, but I am going to take some
      classes so that I can defend myself when I get there.

      Many thanks,

      I enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate the information.

      bb

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
        Not so fat. I have the city of origin of Steve Dano, and widow Bagin, their
        son, my grandfather's step brother came to the US and was told to change
        surname to Danno because of problems with the Postal service.

        I have heard from a Bagin who now lives in Canada, who came from Kamencamy
        which is in the neighborhood. So I feel certain that I'm in the right area,
        but need to perform a bettr search.

        Many thanks,

        bb

      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
          I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
          them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
          state they were in for the naturalization papers?
          Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
          found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
          censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
          checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
          you gotten their obituaries?

          There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
          find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
          your local FHC or local genealogy society.
          It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
          Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
          in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
          can do most of these things pretty easily.

        • John Kozakiewicz
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
            Maura,

            I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
            grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
            for me, so I gave up.

            John Kozakiewicz

            At 06:02 PM 8/7/2000 -0500, you wrote:
            >I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
            >them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
            >state they were in for the naturalization papers?
            >Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
            >found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
            >censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
            >checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
            >you gotten their obituaries?
            >
            >There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
            >find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
            >your local FHC or local genealogy society.
            >It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
            >Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
            >in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
            >can do most of these things pretty easily.

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
              Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
              and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
                can't really help you.

                However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
                you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
                DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
                info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
                can get up to 5 for that $10)

                In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
                one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
                which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
                records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

                So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
                because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
                what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
                help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

                Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
                more help on making your queries more understandable.

              • Bruce Bagin
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                  My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
                  the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
                  in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
                  contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
                  unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
                  find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
                  is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

                  Bruce Bagin
                  312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
                  Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
                  412-281-1110
                  FAX 412-281-8481
                  email bagin@...

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                    I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
                    right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
                    might help.

                    About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
                    for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
                    nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
                    NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
                    courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
                    them about this very thing.
                    I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
                    naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
                    Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
                    request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
                    need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
                    section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
                    including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
                    Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
                    certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

                    Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

                    Robin Hannig
                    Palmer, PA
                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                      Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                      Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                      death record...

                    • RAHannig00@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                        << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                        death record... >>
                        If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                        anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                        But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                        either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                        Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                        try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                        they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                        Robin Hannig
                        Palmer, PA
                      • Andrea Vangor
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                          Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                          started... too much genealogy going on around here!