Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6 8:17 PM
      Let's hope your father was confusing Slovene with Slovak. How about a
      marriage certificate? If I remember the ages correctly, your parents must
      have married in the U.S. These can sometimes be obtained through the Family
      History Center as well as being generally available from the County where
      they married.

      And did you know that you can access census data from later years than 1920
      under certain circumstances? I have not tried this yet but it sounds like a
      good idea!

      Is Bolesov in Slovakia today?

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6 8:29 PM
        The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
        the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
        only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
        Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
        of origin.

        Many thanks,

        bb
      • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6 8:30 PM
          Boles^ov is only 15 km northeast of Trenc^in, this a very large city there
          should be a number of records available for Bolesov.

          Check the LDS site:

          http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=756574&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

          They list 3 microfilms covering 1700-1896.

          Dr. "Q"

        • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6 8:50 PM
            Bruce,

            How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before making any
            progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place" for my
            great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
            Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and a "~"
            slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This turned out
            to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová Ves.
            I now ancestral data back to 1730.

            Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was that
            they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak and
            not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't show
            up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
            especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80 years
            ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke "broken
            English" with a heavy eastern European accent.

            Dr. "Q"

            >Bruce Bagin wrote:

            > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
            > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
            > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
            > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
            > of origin.
            >
            > Many thanks,
            >
            > bb
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6 9:06 PM
              Well, if you have a village of origin in Slovakia as Dr. Q says, then you
              are in fat city for getting records. Get that marriage record too, that's
              my advice. It should point you to more leads. And try to figure out which
              port they came from. If you don't know start with New York.

              > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
              and
              > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because
              it
              > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father
              is
              > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
              country
              > of origin.
              >
              > Many thanks,
              >
              > bb

            • Bruce Bagin
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6 10:02 PM
                For about four years. On my fathers baptismal certificate my grandmothers
                maiden name is given as Mueller not minor. My aunt was born in 1922, when
                my grandmother was 41 years old. The 1920 census shows my grandfather as
                fluent in English, but not my grandmother. Yet I don't recall that he had
                any fluency. My recolection is that my father would speak to them in a
                language that he called slovenian. I learned how to read at an early age
                because I could not speak slovenian and was left to read the english
                languange insert of the Slovak Catholic Sokol newspaper.

                I have contacted the SCS in Passiac to see whether they have records of the
                information provided to get the insurance policies,but I got a we'd like
                tohelp you but we're too busy.

                The people at the county courthouse in Milwaukee tell me that they do not
                have any naturalization papers for my grandfather.
                so did NARA Chicago. They must be someplace. The info on the LDS pubs is
                helpful and they have a center about 7 miles from here in Greentree, PA so I
                shall get over there this week.

                I would like to know more about my grandmother. Her mothers maiden name is
                a tongue twister and I wasn't sure whether it is a Slovak name because of
                the spelling. I don't speak the language, but I am going to take some
                classes so that I can defend myself when I get there.

                Many thanks,

                I enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate the information.

                bb

                > How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before
                making any
                > progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place"
                for my
                > great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                > Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and
                a "~"
                > slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This
                turned out
                > to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová
                Ves.
                > I now ancestral data back to 1730.
                >
                > Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was
                that
                > they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak
                and
                > not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't
                show
                > up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                > especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80
                years
                > ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke
                "broken
                > English" with a heavy eastern European accent.
                >
                > Dr. "Q"
                >
                > >Bruce Bagin wrote:
                >
                > > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                and
                > > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful
                because it
                > > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my
                father is
                > > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                country
                > > of origin.
                > >
                > > Many thanks,
                > >
                > > bb

              • Bruce Bagin
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6 10:09 PM
                  Not so fat. I have the city of origin of Steve Dano, and widow Bagin, their
                  son, my grandfather's step brother came to the US and was told to change
                  surname to Danno because of problems with the Postal service.

                  I have heard from a Bagin who now lives in Canada, who came from Kamencamy
                  which is in the neighborhood. So I feel certain that I'm in the right area,
                  but need to perform a bettr search.

                  Many thanks,

                  bb

                • sabinov@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 7 4:02 PM
                    I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
                    them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
                    state they were in for the naturalization papers?
                    Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
                    found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
                    censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
                    checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
                    you gotten their obituaries?

                    There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
                    find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
                    your local FHC or local genealogy society.
                    It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
                    Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
                    in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
                    can do most of these things pretty easily.

                  • John Kozakiewicz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 7 4:34 PM
                      Maura,

                      I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
                      grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
                      for me, so I gave up.

                      John Kozakiewicz

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 7 4:34 PM
                        Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
                        and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 7 5:45 PM
                          Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
                          can't really help you.

                          However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
                          you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
                          DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
                          info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
                          can get up to 5 for that $10)

                          In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
                          one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
                          which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
                          records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

                          So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
                          because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
                          what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
                          help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

                          Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
                          more help on making your queries more understandable.

                        • Bruce Bagin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 7 6:35 PM
                            My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
                            the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
                            in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
                            contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
                            unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
                            find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
                            is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 7 7:00 PM
                              I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
                              right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
                              might help.

                              About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
                              for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
                              nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
                              NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
                              courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
                              them about this very thing.
                              I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
                              naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
                              Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
                              request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
                              need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
                              section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
                              including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
                              Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
                              certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

                              Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

                              Robin Hannig
                              Palmer, PA
                            • Andrea Vangor
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 7 7:35 PM
                                Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                                Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                death record...

                              • RAHannig00@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 8 7:17 AM
                                  << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                  death record... >>
                                  If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                                  anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                                  But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                                  either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                                  Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                                  try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                                  they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                                  Robin Hannig
                                  Palmer, PA
                                • Andrea Vangor
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 8 10:53 PM
                                    Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                                    started... too much genealogy going on around here!