Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
      Well, you have two places to start: passenger indices, and naturalization
      papers. The latter are generally to be found in the County Courthouse where
      they resided, but in some cases are found in federal courts. For the
      former, 1904 is a very good year, because most immigrants came through Ellis
      Island. New York has indices for that year. Try www.nara.gov and explore
      their genealogy pages. If you live near a regional archive, you can go in
      yourself and look through microfilms that have different kinds of name
      indices for various ports. If not you can order them through the Family
      History Center. You do this by looking up the location first, like New
      York, New York. Go to www.familysearch.org

      Another likely idea for you: check out their Social Security applications.
      This will have some information that will be helpful, like parents' names.

      We have all (or at least many) been down these trails and can help you at
      each step. I'd also advise a free general search at www.rootsweb.com -- you
      never know what might turn up on some database. They have a free Social
      Security search engine. You won't find everybody, but you will find lots of
      your people this way.

      Last but not at all least, go to Maura Petzolt's web site, at the bottom of
      the Slovak Roots posts, and read carefully. Do that first!

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
        Let's hope your father was confusing Slovene with Slovak. How about a
        marriage certificate? If I remember the ages correctly, your parents must
        have married in the U.S. These can sometimes be obtained through the Family
        History Center as well as being generally available from the County where
        they married.

        And did you know that you can access census data from later years than 1920
        under certain circumstances? I have not tried this yet but it sounds like a
        good idea!

        Is Bolesov in Slovakia today?

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
          The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
          the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
          only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
          Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
          of origin.

          Many thanks,

          bb
        • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
            Boles^ov is only 15 km northeast of Trenc^in, this a very large city there
            should be a number of records available for Bolesov.

            Check the LDS site:

            http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=756574&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

            They list 3 microfilms covering 1700-1896.

            Dr. "Q"

          • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
              Bruce,

              How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before making any
              progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place" for my
              great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
              Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and a "~"
              slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This turned out
              to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová Ves.
              I now ancestral data back to 1730.

              Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was that
              they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak and
              not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't show
              up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
              especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80 years
              ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke "broken
              English" with a heavy eastern European accent.

              Dr. "Q"

              >Bruce Bagin wrote:

              > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
              > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
              > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
              > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
              > of origin.
              >
              > Many thanks,
              >
              > bb
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                Well, if you have a village of origin in Slovakia as Dr. Q says, then you
                are in fat city for getting records. Get that marriage record too, that's
                my advice. It should point you to more leads. And try to figure out which
                port they came from. If you don't know start with New York.

                > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                and
                > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because
                it
                > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father
                is
                > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                country
                > of origin.
                >
                > Many thanks,
                >
                > bb

              • Bruce Bagin
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                  For about four years. On my fathers baptismal certificate my grandmothers
                  maiden name is given as Mueller not minor. My aunt was born in 1922, when
                  my grandmother was 41 years old. The 1920 census shows my grandfather as
                  fluent in English, but not my grandmother. Yet I don't recall that he had
                  any fluency. My recolection is that my father would speak to them in a
                  language that he called slovenian. I learned how to read at an early age
                  because I could not speak slovenian and was left to read the english
                  languange insert of the Slovak Catholic Sokol newspaper.

                  I have contacted the SCS in Passiac to see whether they have records of the
                  information provided to get the insurance policies,but I got a we'd like
                  tohelp you but we're too busy.

                  The people at the county courthouse in Milwaukee tell me that they do not
                  have any naturalization papers for my grandfather.
                  so did NARA Chicago. They must be someplace. The info on the LDS pubs is
                  helpful and they have a center about 7 miles from here in Greentree, PA so I
                  shall get over there this week.

                  I would like to know more about my grandmother. Her mothers maiden name is
                  a tongue twister and I wasn't sure whether it is a Slovak name because of
                  the spelling. I don't speak the language, but I am going to take some
                  classes so that I can defend myself when I get there.

                  Many thanks,

                  I enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate the information.

                  bb

                  > How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before
                  making any
                  > progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place"
                  for my
                  > great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                  > Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and
                  a "~"
                  > slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This
                  turned out
                  > to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová
                  Ves.
                  > I now ancestral data back to 1730.
                  >
                  > Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was
                  that
                  > they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak
                  and
                  > not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't
                  show
                  > up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                  > especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80
                  years
                  > ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke
                  "broken
                  > English" with a heavy eastern European accent.
                  >
                  > Dr. "Q"
                  >
                  > >Bruce Bagin wrote:
                  >
                  > > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                  and
                  > > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful
                  because it
                  > > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my
                  father is
                  > > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                  country
                  > > of origin.
                  > >
                  > > Many thanks,
                  > >
                  > > bb

                • Bruce Bagin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                    Not so fat. I have the city of origin of Steve Dano, and widow Bagin, their
                    son, my grandfather's step brother came to the US and was told to change
                    surname to Danno because of problems with the Postal service.

                    I have heard from a Bagin who now lives in Canada, who came from Kamencamy
                    which is in the neighborhood. So I feel certain that I'm in the right area,
                    but need to perform a bettr search.

                    Many thanks,

                    bb

                  • sabinov@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                      I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
                      them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
                      state they were in for the naturalization papers?
                      Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
                      found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
                      censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
                      checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
                      you gotten their obituaries?

                      There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
                      find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
                      your local FHC or local genealogy society.
                      It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
                      Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
                      in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
                      can do most of these things pretty easily.

                    • John Kozakiewicz
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                        Maura,

                        I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
                        grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
                        for me, so I gave up.

                        John Kozakiewicz

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                          Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
                          and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                            Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
                            can't really help you.

                            However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
                            you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
                            DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
                            info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
                            can get up to 5 for that $10)

                            In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
                            one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
                            which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
                            records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

                            So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
                            because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
                            what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
                            help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

                            Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
                            more help on making your queries more understandable.

                          • Bruce Bagin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                              My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
                              the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
                              in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
                              contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
                              unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
                              find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
                              is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
                                right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
                                might help.

                                About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
                                for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
                                nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
                                NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
                                courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
                                them about this very thing.
                                I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
                                naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
                                Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
                                request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
                                need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
                                section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
                                including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
                                Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
                                certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

                                Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

                                Robin Hannig
                                Palmer, PA
                              • Andrea Vangor
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                  Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                                  Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                  death record...

                                • RAHannig00@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                    << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                    death record... >>
                                    If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                                    anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                                    But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                                    either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                                    Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                                    try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                                    they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                                    Robin Hannig
                                    Palmer, PA
                                  • Andrea Vangor
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                      Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                                      started... too much genealogy going on around here!