Fw: Lee Iacocca: GREAT READ!!!

  • voony
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Paul LaRiviere <pel50@...>
      To: Paul LaRiviere <pel50@...>; Barry Lake <bjlake@...>; Ben Hammond <elliottbenner@...>; Bernie Van Antwerp <bernievan@...>; Bob Feldmaier <rmfeldmaier@...>; bsloom@...; Craig Winn <craig.winn@...>; Dave Mather <scubadaver@...>; Diana Smith <dianaelaines@...>; douglasroberth@...; Ernie Alicandro <micalicandro@...>; George Ingram <ingram81@...>; geralynng@...; Jim Fields <jaajm@...>; John Schmitt <jv_schmitt@...>; ladels@...; Lila Gage <GageLilaJim@...>; Lou Belli <loubelli8@...>; Mark Pagliaroni <mpagliaroni@...>; Mike Balan <Mjbchannel1@...>; Nancy Furman <njf2@...>; nardo1686@...; Paul Shefferly <sheffepr@...>; "Russ Young @ home" <kathleen7011@...>; STEVE KRYSTOFF <sfkrystoff@...>; Timbo00001@...; Tom Dueweke <dukes@...>; Tom Henig <thenig@...>; Tom LaRiviere
      <tal1rivers@...>; voony@...; wayneklem@...
      Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:40:28 PM
      Subject: Lee Iacocca: GREAT READ!!!

      I thought you might like to hear from the man once more.

      ________________________________

      Remember Lee Iacocca, the man who rescued Chrysler Corporation from its death throes?  He's now 82 years old and has a new book, 'Where Have All The Leaders Gone?'.
      Lee Iacocca Says:
      'Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder! We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, 'Stay the course.'
      Stay the course? You've got to be kidding. This is America , not the damned, 'Titanic'. I'll give you a sound bite: 'Throw all the bums out!'
      You might think I'm getting senile, that I've gone off my rocker, and maybe I have. But someone has to speak up. I hardly recognize this country anymore.
      The most famous business leaders are not the innovators but the guys in handcuffs. While we're fiddling in  Iraq , the Middle East is burning and nobody seems to know what to do. And the press is waving 'pom-poms' instead of asking hard questions. That's not the promise of the ' America ' my parents and yours traveled across the ocean for. I've had enough. How about you?
      I'll go a step further. You can't call yourself a patriot if you're not outraged. This is a fight I'm ready and willing to have. The Biggest 'C' is Crisis! (Iacocca elaborates on nine C's of leadership, with crisis being the first.)
      Leaders are made, not born. Leadership is forged in times of crisis. It's easy to sit there with your feet up on the desk and talk theory. Or send someone else's kids off to war when you've never seen a battlefield yourself. It's another thing to lead when your world comes tumbling down.
      On September 11, 2001, we needed a  strong leader more than any other time in our history. We needed a steady hand to guide us out of the ashes. A hell of a mess, so here's where we stand.
      We're immersed in a bloody war with no plan for winning and no plan for leaving.
      We're running the biggest deficit in the history of the country.
      We're losing the manufacturing edge to Asia , while our once-great companies are getting slaughtered by health care costs.
      Gas prices are skyrocketing, and nobody in power has a coherent energy policy. Our schools are in trouble.
      Our borders are like sieves.
      The middle class is being squeezed every which way.
      These are times that cry out for leadership.
      But when you look around, you've got to ask: 'Where have all the leaders gone?' Where are the curious, creative communicators? Where are the people of character, courage, conviction, omnipotence, and common sense? I may be a sucker for alliteration, but I think you get the  point.
      Name me a leader who has a better idea for homeland security than making us take off our shoes in airports and throw away our shampoo?
      We've spent billions of dollars building a huge new bureaucracy, and all we know how to do is react to things that have already happened.
      Name me one leader who emerged from the crisis of Hurricane Katrina. Congress has yet to spend a single day evaluating the response to the hurricane or demanding accountability for the decisions that were made in the crucial hours after the storm.
      Everyone's hunkering down, fingers crossed, hoping it doesn't happen again. Now, that's just crazy. Storms happen. Deal with it. Make a plan. Figure out what you're going to do the next time.
      Name me an industry leader who is thinking creatively about how we can restore our competitive edge in manufacturing. Who would have believed that there could ever be a time when 'The Big Three' referred to Japanese car companies? How did this happen, and more important, what are we going to do about it?
      Name me a government leader who can articulate a plan for paying down the debit, or solving the energy crisis, or managing the health care problem. The silence is deafening. But these are the crises that are eating away at our country and milking the middle class dry.
      I have news for the gang in Congress. We didn't elect you to sit on your asses and do nothing and remain silent while our democracy is being hijacked and our greatness is being replaced with mediocrity. What is everybody so afraid of? That some bonehead on Fox News will call them a name? Give me a break. Why don't you guys show some spine for a change?
      Had Enough? Hey, I'm not trying to be the voice of gloom and doom here.  I'm trying to light a fire. I'm speaking out because I have hope - I believe in America . In my lifetime, I've had the privilege of living through some of  America 's greatest moments. I've also experienced some of our worst crises: The 'Great Depression,' 'World War  II,' the 'Korean War,' the 'Kennedy Assassination,' the 'Vietnam War,' the 1970's oil crisis, and the struggles of recent years culminating with 9/11.
      If I've learned one thing, it's this: 'You don't get anywhere by standing on the sidelines waiting for somebody else to take action. Whether it's building a better car or building a better future for our children, we all have a role to play. That's the challenge I'm raising in this book. It's a "Call to Action" for people who, like me, believe in America '. It's not too late, but it's getting pretty close. So let's shake off the crap and go to work. Let's tell 'em all we've had 'enough.'
      Make your own contribution by sending this to everyone you know and care about. It's our country, folks, and it's our future. Our future is at stake!!

    • ROBERT LISTON
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
        BRAVO!
        Joanne Liston

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, voony <voony@...> wrote:

          > If you want to talk about politics and the country's problems do it
          on your own time and not on this site.

          Hammond <elliottbenner@...>; Bernie Van Antwerp <bernievan@...>; Bob
          Feldmaier <rmfeldmaier@...>; bsloom@...; Craig Winn <craig.winn@...>;
          Dave Mather <scubadaver@...>; Diana Smith <dianaelaines@...>;
          douglasroberth@...; Ernie Alicandro <micalicandro@...>; George Ingram
          <ingram81@...>; geralynng@...; Jim Fields <jaajm@...>; John Schmitt
          <jv_schmitt@...>; ladels@...; Lila Gage <GageLilaJim@...>; Lou Belli
          <loubelli8@...>; Mark Pagliaroni <mpagliaroni@...>; Mike Balan
          <Mjbchannel1@...>; Nancy Furman <njf2@...>; nardo1686@...; Paul
          Shefferly <sheffepr@...>; "Russ Young @ home" <kathleen7011@...>;
          STEVE KRYSTOFF <sfkrystoff@...>; Timbo00001@...; Tom Dueweke
          <dukes@...>; Tom Henig <thenig@...>; Tom LaRiviere

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
            This conversation is off-topic.

            Let's stick to genealogy here so I don't have to moderate the discussion.

            Please consider the conversation closed.

            Thanks,
            Bill
          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
              Hey Bill and other moderators- did you notice the lines of addresses and their relationships? Not only is it being sent to groups and individuals, but it is also being blindly sent to unsubscribe addresses.

              Is this an automated forward- and should the "member" be released?
              Ben

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
                Thanks Ben.

                User "voony" has been put into moderation mode. Any mail from "voony"
                will now require a moderator approval.

                Regards,
                Bill

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
                  Sorry for the e-mail I forwarded about Lee Iacocca it was not intended for the group

                  Bob

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
                    Regardless of whether it was relevant or appropriate to this forum, thanks for sending it.
                    Mike Koschik
                    Chicago

                    From: Paul LaRiviere <pel50@...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 12, 2009
                      Not just the US that has no leaders , we in OZ have people following
                      the same lines as everyone else. Creating a huge balls up, giving
                      money to rescue banks whose CEOs caused the problem to begin with,

                      Nick