Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Bruce Bagin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
      My father said that they spoke slovenian or german. They attended St
      Stephens Catholic Church in MIlwaukee, WI on walnut street. the church was
      closed on the late 40' or early 50's and my payments to the achivist of the
      archdiocese has not produced any record of marriage, church attendance, or
      funerals. I'm stuck. My next move is a FOIA request to INS; however if it
      is too costly for them to conduct a search I may not be able to afford it.

      I learned that My great grandmother remarried when her husband died and
      Married Steve Dano in or around Bolesov, but I have not found anything
      further.

      there are only two living relatives in the US and they have been helpful
      with the danno family, but when Steve Dano, JR. came to the US, he settled
      in northern wisconsin and had little to do with his step brother,my
      grandfather so the information stops.

      Many thanks,

      YOur help is appreciated.

      >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
      >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help
      >Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:49:05 -0700
      >
      >What language did they speak? Which church did they attend? Do you have
      >any living relatives who can tell you?

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
        Well, you have two places to start: passenger indices, and naturalization
        papers. The latter are generally to be found in the County Courthouse where
        they resided, but in some cases are found in federal courts. For the
        former, 1904 is a very good year, because most immigrants came through Ellis
        Island. New York has indices for that year. Try www.nara.gov and explore
        their genealogy pages. If you live near a regional archive, you can go in
        yourself and look through microfilms that have different kinds of name
        indices for various ports. If not you can order them through the Family
        History Center. You do this by looking up the location first, like New
        York, New York. Go to www.familysearch.org

        Another likely idea for you: check out their Social Security applications.
        This will have some information that will be helpful, like parents' names.

        We have all (or at least many) been down these trails and can help you at
        each step. I'd also advise a free general search at www.rootsweb.com -- you
        never know what might turn up on some database. They have a free Social
        Security search engine. You won't find everybody, but you will find lots of
        your people this way.

        Last but not at all least, go to Maura Petzolt's web site, at the bottom of
        the Slovak Roots posts, and read carefully. Do that first!

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
          Let's hope your father was confusing Slovene with Slovak. How about a
          marriage certificate? If I remember the ages correctly, your parents must
          have married in the U.S. These can sometimes be obtained through the Family
          History Center as well as being generally available from the County where
          they married.

          And did you know that you can access census data from later years than 1920
          under certain circumstances? I have not tried this yet but it sounds like a
          good idea!

          Is Bolesov in Slovakia today?

          > My father said that they spoke slovenian or german. They attended St
          > Stephens Catholic Church in MIlwaukee, WI on walnut street. the church
          was
          > closed on the late 40' or early 50's and my payments to the achivist of
          the
          > archdiocese has not produced any record of marriage, church attendance, or
          > funerals. I'm stuck. My next move is a FOIA request to INS; however if
          it
          > is too costly for them to conduct a search I may not be able to afford it.
          >
          > I learned that My great grandmother remarried when her husband died and
          > Married Steve Dano in or around Bolesov, but I have not found anything
          > further.
          >
          > there are only two living relatives in the US and they have been helpful
          > with the danno family, but when Steve Dano, JR. came to the US, he settled
          > in northern wisconsin and had little to do with his step brother,my
          > grandfather so the information stops.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > YOur help is appreciated.
          >

          > >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
          > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com>
          > >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help
          > >Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:49:05 -0700
          > >
          > >What language did they speak? Which church did they attend? Do you have
          > >any living relatives who can tell you?

        • Bruce Bagin
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
            The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
            the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
            only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
            Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
            of origin.

            Many thanks,

            bb
          • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
              Boles^ov is only 15 km northeast of Trenc^in, this a very large city there
              should be a number of records available for Bolesov.

              Check the LDS site:

              http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=756574&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

              They list 3 microfilms covering 1700-1896.

              Dr. "Q"

            • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                Bruce,

                How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before making any
                progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place" for my
                great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and a "~"
                slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This turned out
                to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová Ves.
                I now ancestral data back to 1730.

                Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was that
                they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak and
                not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't show
                up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80 years
                ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke "broken
                English" with a heavy eastern European accent.

                Dr. "Q"

                >Bruce Bagin wrote:

                > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
                > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
                > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
                > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
                > of origin.
                >
                > Many thanks,
                >
                > bb
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                  Well, if you have a village of origin in Slovakia as Dr. Q says, then you
                  are in fat city for getting records. Get that marriage record too, that's
                  my advice. It should point you to more leads. And try to figure out which
                  port they came from. If you don't know start with New York.

                  > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                  and
                  > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because
                  it
                  > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father
                  is
                  > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                  country
                  > of origin.
                  >
                  > Many thanks,
                  >
                  > bb

                • Bruce Bagin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                    For about four years. On my fathers baptismal certificate my grandmothers
                    maiden name is given as Mueller not minor. My aunt was born in 1922, when
                    my grandmother was 41 years old. The 1920 census shows my grandfather as
                    fluent in English, but not my grandmother. Yet I don't recall that he had
                    any fluency. My recolection is that my father would speak to them in a
                    language that he called slovenian. I learned how to read at an early age
                    because I could not speak slovenian and was left to read the english
                    languange insert of the Slovak Catholic Sokol newspaper.

                    I have contacted the SCS in Passiac to see whether they have records of the
                    information provided to get the insurance policies,but I got a we'd like
                    tohelp you but we're too busy.

                    The people at the county courthouse in Milwaukee tell me that they do not
                    have any naturalization papers for my grandfather.
                    so did NARA Chicago. They must be someplace. The info on the LDS pubs is
                    helpful and they have a center about 7 miles from here in Greentree, PA so I
                    shall get over there this week.

                    I would like to know more about my grandmother. Her mothers maiden name is
                    a tongue twister and I wasn't sure whether it is a Slovak name because of
                    the spelling. I don't speak the language, but I am going to take some
                    classes so that I can defend myself when I get there.

                    Many thanks,

                    I enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate the information.

                    bb

                    > How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before
                    making any
                    > progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place"
                    for my
                    > great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                    > Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and
                    a "~"
                    > slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This
                    turned out
                    > to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová
                    Ves.
                    > I now ancestral data back to 1730.
                    >
                    > Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was
                    that
                    > they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak
                    and
                    > not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't
                    show
                    > up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                    > especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80
                    years
                    > ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke
                    "broken
                    > English" with a heavy eastern European accent.
                    >
                    > Dr. "Q"
                    >
                    > >Bruce Bagin wrote:
                    >
                    > > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                    and
                    > > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful
                    because it
                    > > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my
                    father is
                    > > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                    country
                    > > of origin.
                    > >
                    > > Many thanks,
                    > >
                    > > bb

                  • Bruce Bagin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                      Not so fat. I have the city of origin of Steve Dano, and widow Bagin, their
                      son, my grandfather's step brother came to the US and was told to change
                      surname to Danno because of problems with the Postal service.

                      I have heard from a Bagin who now lives in Canada, who came from Kamencamy
                      which is in the neighborhood. So I feel certain that I'm in the right area,
                      but need to perform a bettr search.

                      Many thanks,

                      bb

                    • sabinov@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                        I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
                        them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
                        state they were in for the naturalization papers?
                        Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
                        found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
                        censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
                        checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
                        you gotten their obituaries?

                        There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
                        find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
                        your local FHC or local genealogy society.
                        It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
                        Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
                        in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
                        can do most of these things pretty easily.

                      • John Kozakiewicz
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                          Maura,

                          I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
                          grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
                          for me, so I gave up.

                          John Kozakiewicz

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                            Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
                            and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                              Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
                              can't really help you.

                              However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
                              you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
                              DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
                              info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
                              can get up to 5 for that $10)

                              In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
                              one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
                              which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
                              records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

                              So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
                              because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
                              what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
                              help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

                              Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
                              more help on making your queries more understandable.

                            • Bruce Bagin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
                                the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
                                in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
                                contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
                                unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
                                find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
                                is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                  I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
                                  right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
                                  might help.

                                  About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
                                  for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
                                  nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
                                  NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
                                  courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
                                  them about this very thing.
                                  I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
                                  naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
                                  Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
                                  request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
                                  need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
                                  section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
                                  including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
                                  Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
                                  certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

                                  Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

                                  Robin Hannig
                                  Palmer, PA
                                • Andrea Vangor
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                    Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                                    Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                    death record...

                                  • RAHannig00@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                      << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                      death record... >>
                                      If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                                      anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                                      But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                                      either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                                      Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                                      try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                                      they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                                      Robin Hannig
                                      Palmer, PA
                                    • Andrea Vangor
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                        Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                                        started... too much genealogy going on around here!