Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Bruce Bagin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
      Ihave an aunt an uncle but all of my efforts to find out any information
      from them has failed. I notice from the death certificate that my father
      provided the information, but he died of congestive heart failure in 1968 at
      age 52. My grand mother died of a stroke secondary to athrosclerosis. both
      my brother and I have had coronary artery bypass surgery. He at age 40 and
      me at age 50.

      My aunt and uncle tell the same story that their parents were silent on
      their life in the old country. My aunt didn't know her grandparents because
      neither of their parents spoke of them.

      the 1920 census shows that they immigrated to the US in 1904 from
      austria-hungary and were naturalized in 1916. Nara can't find any record of
      them.

      Bruce Bagin
      312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
      Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
      412-281-1110
      FAX 412-281-8481
      email bagin@...

    • Bruce Bagin
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
        My father said that they spoke slovenian or german. They attended St
        Stephens Catholic Church in MIlwaukee, WI on walnut street. the church was
        closed on the late 40' or early 50's and my payments to the achivist of the
        archdiocese has not produced any record of marriage, church attendance, or
        funerals. I'm stuck. My next move is a FOIA request to INS; however if it
        is too costly for them to conduct a search I may not be able to afford it.

        I learned that My great grandmother remarried when her husband died and
        Married Steve Dano in or around Bolesov, but I have not found anything
        further.

        there are only two living relatives in the US and they have been helpful
        with the danno family, but when Steve Dano, JR. came to the US, he settled
        in northern wisconsin and had little to do with his step brother,my
        grandfather so the information stops.

        Many thanks,

        YOur help is appreciated.

        >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
        >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help
        >Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:49:05 -0700
        >
        >What language did they speak? Which church did they attend? Do you have
        >any living relatives who can tell you?

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
          Well, you have two places to start: passenger indices, and naturalization
          papers. The latter are generally to be found in the County Courthouse where
          they resided, but in some cases are found in federal courts. For the
          former, 1904 is a very good year, because most immigrants came through Ellis
          Island. New York has indices for that year. Try www.nara.gov and explore
          their genealogy pages. If you live near a regional archive, you can go in
          yourself and look through microfilms that have different kinds of name
          indices for various ports. If not you can order them through the Family
          History Center. You do this by looking up the location first, like New
          York, New York. Go to www.familysearch.org

          Another likely idea for you: check out their Social Security applications.
          This will have some information that will be helpful, like parents' names.

          We have all (or at least many) been down these trails and can help you at
          each step. I'd also advise a free general search at www.rootsweb.com -- you
          never know what might turn up on some database. They have a free Social
          Security search engine. You won't find everybody, but you will find lots of
          your people this way.

          Last but not at all least, go to Maura Petzolt's web site, at the bottom of
          the Slovak Roots posts, and read carefully. Do that first!

          > Ihave an aunt an uncle but all of my efforts to find out any information
          > from them has failed. I notice from the death certificate that my father
          > provided the information, but he died of congestive heart failure in 1968
          at
          > age 52. My grand mother died of a stroke secondary to athrosclerosis.
          both
          > my brother and I have had coronary artery bypass surgery. He at age 40
          and
          > me at age 50.
          >
          > My aunt and uncle tell the same story that their parents were silent on
          > their life in the old country. My aunt didn't know her grandparents
          because
          > neither of their parents spoke of them.
          >
          > the 1920 census shows that they immigrated to the US in 1904 from
          > austria-hungary and were naturalized in 1916. Nara can't find any record
          of
          > them.
          >
          > Bruce Bagin
          > 312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
          > Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
          > 412-281-1110
          > FAX 412-281-8481
          > email bagin@...

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
            Let's hope your father was confusing Slovene with Slovak. How about a
            marriage certificate? If I remember the ages correctly, your parents must
            have married in the U.S. These can sometimes be obtained through the Family
            History Center as well as being generally available from the County where
            they married.

            And did you know that you can access census data from later years than 1920
            under certain circumstances? I have not tried this yet but it sounds like a
            good idea!

            Is Bolesov in Slovakia today?

            > My father said that they spoke slovenian or german. They attended St
            > Stephens Catholic Church in MIlwaukee, WI on walnut street. the church
            was
            > closed on the late 40' or early 50's and my payments to the achivist of
            the
            > archdiocese has not produced any record of marriage, church attendance, or
            > funerals. I'm stuck. My next move is a FOIA request to INS; however if
            it
            > is too costly for them to conduct a search I may not be able to afford it.
            >
            > I learned that My great grandmother remarried when her husband died and
            > Married Steve Dano in or around Bolesov, but I have not found anything
            > further.
            >
            > there are only two living relatives in the US and they have been helpful
            > with the danno family, but when Steve Dano, JR. came to the US, he settled
            > in northern wisconsin and had little to do with his step brother,my
            > grandfather so the information stops.
            >
            > Many thanks,
            >
            > YOur help is appreciated.
            >

            > >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
            > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com>
            > >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help
            > >Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:49:05 -0700
            > >
            > >What language did they speak? Which church did they attend? Do you have
            > >any living relatives who can tell you?

          • Bruce Bagin
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
              The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
              the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
              only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
              Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
              of origin.

              Many thanks,

              bb
            • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                Boles^ov is only 15 km northeast of Trenc^in, this a very large city there
                should be a number of records available for Bolesov.

                Check the LDS site:

                http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=756574&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

                They list 3 microfilms covering 1700-1896.

                Dr. "Q"

              • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                  Bruce,

                  How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before making any
                  progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place" for my
                  great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                  Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and a "~"
                  slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This turned out
                  to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová Ves.
                  I now ancestral data back to 1730.

                  Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was that
                  they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak and
                  not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't show
                  up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                  especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80 years
                  ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke "broken
                  English" with a heavy eastern European accent.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  >Bruce Bagin wrote:

                  > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
                  > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
                  > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
                  > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
                  > of origin.
                  >
                  > Many thanks,
                  >
                  > bb
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                    Well, if you have a village of origin in Slovakia as Dr. Q says, then you
                    are in fat city for getting records. Get that marriage record too, that's
                    my advice. It should point you to more leads. And try to figure out which
                    port they came from. If you don't know start with New York.

                    > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                    and
                    > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because
                    it
                    > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father
                    is
                    > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                    country
                    > of origin.
                    >
                    > Many thanks,
                    >
                    > bb

                  • Bruce Bagin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                      For about four years. On my fathers baptismal certificate my grandmothers
                      maiden name is given as Mueller not minor. My aunt was born in 1922, when
                      my grandmother was 41 years old. The 1920 census shows my grandfather as
                      fluent in English, but not my grandmother. Yet I don't recall that he had
                      any fluency. My recolection is that my father would speak to them in a
                      language that he called slovenian. I learned how to read at an early age
                      because I could not speak slovenian and was left to read the english
                      languange insert of the Slovak Catholic Sokol newspaper.

                      I have contacted the SCS in Passiac to see whether they have records of the
                      information provided to get the insurance policies,but I got a we'd like
                      tohelp you but we're too busy.

                      The people at the county courthouse in Milwaukee tell me that they do not
                      have any naturalization papers for my grandfather.
                      so did NARA Chicago. They must be someplace. The info on the LDS pubs is
                      helpful and they have a center about 7 miles from here in Greentree, PA so I
                      shall get over there this week.

                      I would like to know more about my grandmother. Her mothers maiden name is
                      a tongue twister and I wasn't sure whether it is a Slovak name because of
                      the spelling. I don't speak the language, but I am going to take some
                      classes so that I can defend myself when I get there.

                      Many thanks,

                      I enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate the information.

                      bb

                      > How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before
                      making any
                      > progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place"
                      for my
                      > great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                      > Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and
                      a "~"
                      > slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This
                      turned out
                      > to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová
                      Ves.
                      > I now ancestral data back to 1730.
                      >
                      > Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was
                      that
                      > they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak
                      and
                      > not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't
                      show
                      > up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                      > especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80
                      years
                      > ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke
                      "broken
                      > English" with a heavy eastern European accent.
                      >
                      > Dr. "Q"
                      >
                      > >Bruce Bagin wrote:
                      >
                      > > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                      and
                      > > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful
                      because it
                      > > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my
                      father is
                      > > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                      country
                      > > of origin.
                      > >
                      > > Many thanks,
                      > >
                      > > bb

                    • Bruce Bagin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                        Not so fat. I have the city of origin of Steve Dano, and widow Bagin, their
                        son, my grandfather's step brother came to the US and was told to change
                        surname to Danno because of problems with the Postal service.

                        I have heard from a Bagin who now lives in Canada, who came from Kamencamy
                        which is in the neighborhood. So I feel certain that I'm in the right area,
                        but need to perform a bettr search.

                        Many thanks,

                        bb

                      • sabinov@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                          I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
                          them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
                          state they were in for the naturalization papers?
                          Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
                          found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
                          censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
                          checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
                          you gotten their obituaries?

                          There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
                          find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
                          your local FHC or local genealogy society.
                          It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
                          Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
                          in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
                          can do most of these things pretty easily.

                        • John Kozakiewicz
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                            Maura,

                            I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
                            grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
                            for me, so I gave up.

                            John Kozakiewicz

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                              Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
                              and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
                                can't really help you.

                                However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
                                you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
                                DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
                                info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
                                can get up to 5 for that $10)

                                In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
                                one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
                                which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
                                records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

                                So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
                                because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
                                what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
                                help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

                                Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
                                more help on making your queries more understandable.

                              • Bruce Bagin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                  My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
                                  the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
                                  in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
                                  contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
                                  unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
                                  find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
                                  is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                    I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
                                    right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
                                    might help.

                                    About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
                                    for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
                                    nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
                                    NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
                                    courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
                                    them about this very thing.
                                    I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
                                    naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
                                    Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
                                    request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
                                    need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
                                    section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
                                    including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
                                    Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
                                    certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

                                    Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

                                    Robin Hannig
                                    Palmer, PA
                                  • Andrea Vangor
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                      Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                                      Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                      death record...

                                    • RAHannig00@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                        << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                        death record... >>
                                        If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                                        anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                                        But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                                        either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                                        Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                                        try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                                        they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                                        Robin Hannig
                                        Palmer, PA
                                      • Andrea Vangor
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                          Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                                          started... too much genealogy going on around here!