Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • John
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 6, 2000
      At 06:16 PM 8/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >What is the next step in finding my ancestors and can anyone confirm that
      >the names are slovak?

      Bruce,

      Try Maura's page http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlwat/instruct.htm for some
      good basics.

      John

      >from the death certificates of my grandparents who lived and died in
      >Milwaukee Wisconsin, I have learned the following:
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 6, 2000
        Bruce,

        Things are a little sketchy now, but the key is to locate their hometown. Since
        you have a death certificate, I suggest you contact the church/cemetery where
        they were buried and ask for a copy of their record. This is how I located the
        town of my great grandparents. Until I did this, all official records just
        listed them as from "Austria". Once you have their town of birth, you can start
        looking at microfilmed church records, ship manifests, etc.

        Good luck.

        Dr. "Q"

      • johnshow@ktc.com
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6, 2001
          Looking for help. My Grandmother, Barbara Mikec came to this
          country from Lescovac, Austria in 1893 on the ship Munchen .
          She departed from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
          Also my Uncle Frank Meze , came in 1913 from Fleckdorf,Austria
          on the ship Imperator . He departed from the Port of Hamburg,
          Germany. Can anyone on the list give me any information on
          either Fleckdorf or Lescovac. I would appreciate any help you
          all may be able to give me.
          Thank you.
          John - Fredericksburg , Texas
        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 20 , May 7, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., johnshow@k... wrote:
            > Looking for help. My Grandmother, Barbara Mikec came to this
            > country from Lescovac, Austria in 1893 on the ship Munchen .
            > She departed from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
            > Also my Uncle Frank Meze , came in 1913 from Fleckdorf,Austria
            > on the ship Imperator . He departed from the Port of Hamburg,
            > Germany. Can anyone on the list give me any information on
            > either Fleckdorf or Lescovac. I would appreciate any help you
            > all may be able to give me.
            > Thank you.
            > John - Fredericksburg , Texas

            Have looked at the Ellis Island Records for your surnames.

            Some who seek Slovenija (Slovenia) think it is the the same country as
            Slovakia (Slovensko)

            Slovenia was a part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans.

            Slovakia was a part of former Czechoslovakia in Central Europe.

            If you write to Slovenia and don't use Slovenija, the letter probably
            gets mailed to Slovakia. If you use Slovensko for Slovakia the letter
            probably ends up in Slovenia ?
            U.S. Postal Service only recognizes these countrties under "Slovenia"
            and "Slovak Republic".

            Slovak is similar to Czech and the official language of Slovakia.
            Spoken by 5.6 million people.

            Ako sa maté ? (How are you ?)
            Rozumiem. (I understand )

            Slovenian is similar to Serbian and Croatian and the official language
            of the Republic of Slovenia , formerly part of Yugoslavia.
            Total about 2.2 million speakers (2 million are in Slovenia)

            Kako ste ? (How are you ?)
            Razumen. (I understand )

            Notwithstanding that Frank Meze was listed as Austrian, Slovak from
            Fleckdorf, Austria , believe that both ethnicity and place name are
            incorrect.
            The listings of the various other surnames Meze were from Slovenia
            and Croatia, later part of Yugoslavia.
            Before WW I parts of this territory were under Austrian control.
            For example, some Meze surname bearers were listed as from Lotsch,
            Austria , others from Logateo (misspelled), Carniola .
            Same place.
            Lotsch was German name for Slovene name Logatec.
            Didn't identify Fleckdorf yet, but -dorf meaning village
            was a common German (Austrian) place name affix in the region.

            Before WWI, the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy had stretched from Austria
            to Montenegro in the Balkans.

            Following the First World War, new borders for Austro-Hungarian
            Monarchy were set by the Treaties of Saint Germain-en-Laye (September
            10, 1919) and Trianon (June 4, 1920).

            As a result, the Austro-Hungarian Empire was utterly transformed into
            much smaller territories and new countries.

            Hungary became an entirely separate nation, but lost large portions of
            its territories as well, retaining only core Hungarian-speaking
            areas.
            Retained were West and Central Hungary plus a small western portion of
            the Banat, the northern portion of the Batschka, the Central
            Hungarian Highlands, and the northern portion of Swabian Turkey.

            A new country of Yugoslavia was also formed including the former
            Austro-Hungarian lands of the southern portion of the Banat, the
            southern portion of the Batschka, Bosnia-Hercegovina, the southern
            portion of the duchy of Carinthia (Slovenia), most of the of duchy
            of Carniola, Croatia-Slavonia, the kingdom of Dalmatia, the southern
            portion of Swabian Turkey, the southern portion of duchy of Styria,
            and Syrmia.

            The Kingdom of Serbs,Croats and Slovenes was established on Dec. 1,
            1918 and was renamed Yugoslavia on Oct. 4, 1929.
            In 1945 this became the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
            The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were : Bosnia and
            Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, and Serbia.

            Other surnames on the same manifests were also listed as Slovak when
            these surnames were obviously South Slavic (Croatian or Slovenian)
            ethnicity.

            The same goes for the surname Mikec listed.
            Some Mikec surnames were also listed as Slovak ethnicity.

            Barbara Mikec was listed as from Lescovac, Austria.
            Lescovac is located 190 km SE of Belgrade in Serbia.
            Technically in 1893, Serbia was not part of Austrian
            Empire.

            There are enough errors on the ship manifests that this was probably
            another error.
            WW I began on August 1, 1914 when Austria had invaded Serbia.

            (In 1990s NATO and US planes bombed Serbia (all that was left of
            former Yugoslavia)

            Frank Kurcina
          • RAYMOND HOBER
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2001
              I am looking for information on the family name of
              Hobor or Hober,from the town of Gnezda (now called
              Hniezdne) in Slovakia. Also the name Strahler from
              Bardejov (formerly Bradfeld)also in Slovakia. I would
              appreciate any knowledge of the names or where records
              may be obtained. Elmtowne

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • John
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2001
                At 09:12 AM 11/5/01 -0800, you wrote:
                >I am looking for information on the family name of
                >Hobor or Hober,from the town of Gnezda (now called
                >Hniezdne) in Slovakia.

                Do a search on Hniezden and Bardejov for the LDS microfilms at:

                The Roman Catholic registers run from 1642-1951 in some
                categories. Bardejov records also go back to the 1600's.

                >Also the name Strahler from
                >Bardejov (formerly Bradfeld)also in Slovakia. I would
                >appreciate any knowledge of the names or where records
                >may be obtained. Elmtowne

                I couldn't find Strahler in the Slovak phone
                directory http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html . You might try checking
                the major cities. I tried a few with no luck. The name sounds
                German. Could it have been spelled with an "e"? I did find a František
                Hobor, Hniezdne in the directory.

                John
              • Jon Zatk
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 25, 2002
                  Can someone please tell me how to write Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Slavish. Thank you.

                  John Zatkovch

                  PS--Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

                • Dr. Joe Q
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 26, 2002
                    S^t'astne' Va'noce (Šťastné Vánoce) - Merry Christmas
                    Vesele' Vianoce a S^t'astlivy Novy' Rok (Veselé Vianoce a Šťastlivy Nový Rok) - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
                    Vesele' Vianoce a U'spes^ny' Novy' Rok (Veselé Vianoce a Úspešný Nový Rok) - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
                    Vesele' Vianoc^ne a poz^ehnany Novy' Rok (Veselé Vianočné Sviatky a požehnaný Nový Rok) - Blessed Christmas and Happy New Year

                    And

                    Na zdravie.

                    To you.

                    Dr. "Q"

                    Jon Zatk wrote:

                    > Can someone please tell me how to write Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Slavish. Thank you.
                    >
                    > John Zatkovch
                    >
                    > PS--Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

                  • Nick Holcz
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 5 9:14 PM
                      I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife) that arrived in USA
                      Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                      I found a couple of possibilities in social security death indexes. I am
                      not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find out further information?

                      Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713

                      " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958

                      Nick
                    • Janet Thompson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 6 12:36 AM
                        --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
                        > I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife)
                        > that arrived in USA
                        > Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                        > I found a couple of possibilities in social security
                        > death indexes. I am
                        > not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find
                        > out further information?
                        >
                        > Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713
                        >
                        > " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958
                        >

                        > Nick
                        >
                        > Hi Nick,

                        Try the 1930 census for the State/County/ township
                        that they went to live/work. Also try Ellis Island
                        Records and try LDS Family Search. GOOD LUCK Janet

                      • tltjlt2
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 6 1:28 AM
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Janet Thompson <tltjlt2@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                          > > I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife)
                          > > that arrived in USA
                          > > Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                          > > I found a couple of possibilities in social security
                          > > death indexes. I am
                          > > not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find
                          > > out further information?
                          > >
                          > > Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713
                          > >
                          > > " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958
                          > >

                          > > Nick
                          > >
                          > > Hi Nick,
                          >
                          > Try the 1930 census for the State/County/ township
                          > that they went to live/work. Also try Ellis Island
                          > Records and try LDS Family Search. GOOD LUCK Janet

                          Ellis Island Records
                          http://www.ellisislandrecords.org

                          http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.htm/

                          > http://www.familysearch.org/
                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6 3:17 AM
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                            > I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife) that arrived in USA
                            > Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                            > I found a couple of possibilities in social security death indexes. I am
                            > not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find out further information?
                            >
                            > Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713
                            >
                            > " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958
                            >

                            > Nick

                            Nick,

                            Perhaps you think the surname Holcz was transliterated into German
                            surname spelling Hirsch ?

                            Since you have SS # s you can write for copy of SS# application form SS-5 which lists
                            surname's place of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.
                            US government now charges $ 27 per copy.

                            The Social Security DEath Index (SSDI) lists 6,747 surnames Hirsch.

                            Based on those given names, expect they were Jewish ?
                            Siri = Sari, Sara, Sarah
                            Benyamin = Benjamin

                            Frank K
                          • Nick Holcz
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6 5:47 AM
                              At 06:17 PM 6/04/2004, you wrote:
                              >Nick,
                              >
                              >Perhaps you think the surname Holcz was transliterated into German
                              >surname spelling Hirsch ?

                              No Frank I don't think that Hirsch and Holcz are the same name. My aunty
                              Sidi Holcz married Benjamin Hirsch and went to the US to his brother Nathan
                              Hirsch. Yes they were Jewish.I have had a friend look in the 1930 census
                              but she says she can't find them.

                              I have looked at Jewishgen and the SSDI and can find those two Benjamin
                              Hirsch but no Sidi. I have also looked at LDS site without success. So I am
                              stuck for further ideas.

                              Those two Benjamins are the right age and that is all I have to go on.

                              Nick
                            • Frank
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6 7:30 AM
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                                > At 06:17 PM 6/04/2004, you wrote:
                                > >Nick,
                                > >
                                > >Perhaps you think the surname Holcz was transliterated into German
                                > >surname spelling Hirsch ?
                                > >

                                > No Frank I don't think that Hirsch and Holcz are the same name. My
                                aunty
                                > Sidi Holcz married Benjamin Hirsch and went to the US to his
                                brother Nathan
                                > Hirsch. Yes they were Jewish.I have had a friend look in the 1930
                                census
                                > but she says she can't find them.
                                >
                                > I have looked at Jewishgen and the SSDI and can find those two
                                Benjamin
                                > Hirsch but no Sidi. I have also looked at LDS site without success.
                                So I am
                                > stuck for further ideas.
                                >
                                > Those two Benjamins are the right age and that is all I have to go
                                on.

                                Nick,

                                My apology since had assumed you were located in USA researching
                                Slovak surnames.
                                I do surnames from OZ and NZ but they are usually Croatians who had
                                emigrated there early on.
                                Also do jewishgenners.

                                Hirsch (G) = deer,stag
                                Holz (G) = wood

                                The two Benjamins were born in 1887.
                                One was from State of Massachusetts (MA) and one was from New Jersey
                                (NJ)
                                In what American state did your aunt reside ?
                                Emigrated in 1923 so between 1920 and 1930 US Censuses.

                                Sidi would be listed in SSDI only if her husband had preceded her in
                                death.

                                If you knew where they had resided in US could write for possible
                                American naturalization papers
                                search via email message to pertinent National Archives and Records
                                Admin. Center ( 12 in US).

                                Frank K
                              • Nick Holcz
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 6 7:49 PM
                                  At 10:30 PM 6/04/2004, you wrote:
                                  >Nick,
                                  >
                                  >My apology since had assumed you were located in USA researching
                                  >Slovak surnames.
                                  >I do surnames from OZ and NZ but they are usually Croatians who had
                                  >emigrated there early on.
                                  >Also do jewishgenners.
                                  >
                                  >Frank K

                                  Frank, I am in OZ tracing my father's Slovak family one of whom went to
                                  the US.

                                  Thanks for your help.
                                  Nick
                                • J&H Helbrecht
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 6, 2005
                                    Will someone please tell me what this is? I have been getting these
                                    emails and have no idea what they are
                                    Thank you
                                    Jean

                                    SANAL DEDEKTI.FLI.K HI.ZMETLERI.

                                    TÜRKI.YE BU HI.ZMET VE TEKNI.G(I. KONUS,UYOR...
                                    YENI. TEKNOLOJI. HI.ZMETI.NI.ZDE!
                                    "Art?k es,ler, sevgililer, ortaklar birbirlerini aldatamayacak!"

                                    Sizi aldatt?g(?ndan kus,ku duydug(unuz kis,inin,

                                    * Sesli "cep telefon kay?tlar?"na (Geriye dönük/8 ayl?k vd.)
                                    * I.leriye yönelik sesli "cep telefon kay?tlar?"na (Haftal?k)
                                    * Görüs,me ân?ndaki "cep telefon kay?tlar?"na (Paralel/Sesli Dinleme)
                                    * Ald?g(?/gönderdig(i "SMS mesajlar?"na (Geriye dönük SMS/8 ayl?k vd.)
                                    * Ald?g(?/gönderdig(i "SMS mesajlar?"na (I.leriye yönelik SMS/Haftal?k)
                                    * Gelen/Giden arama kay?tlar?na (Geçmis,/Gelecek; Gizli No ve Çag(r?lar)
                                    * Gizledig(i "Özel" veya "Analog" numara bilgilerine (1 ve 2. kademe)
                                    * I.leri tarihlere yönelik Telekom telefonlar?na ait ses kay?tlar?na

                                    * Kis,isel bilgisayar?nda (ve online ortamda) kulland?g(? s,ifre bilgilerine
                                    * Hard Diskindeki her bir dosya vd. dokümanlara
                                    * "Thief" uygulamas? ile yapt?g(? her yaz?s,maya

                                    * Gelen/giden "e-mail yaz?s,malar?"na (Yaz?l? Metin: Anl?k/Geçmis,/Gelecek)
                                    * MSN Messenger "chat yaz?s,malar?"na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                    * Yahoo Messenger "chat yaz?s,malar?"na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                    * ICQ yaz?s,malar?na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                    * IRC odalar?nda yapt?g(? "chat kay?tlar?"na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                    * Skype ve Paltalk odalar?ndaki "ses kay?tlar?"na (Sesli/Yaz?l?; Anl?k)
                                    * Sizi aldatt?g(? kis,inin "kimlik bilgileri"ne (Whois/Info/Contact)
                                    * IP protokolüne ve Internet'e eris,im sag(lad?g(? "Telekom numaras?"na
                                    * Aldatma içerikli diyaloglar?n yas,and?g(? "zamanlama bilgileri"ne

                                    Sizi ve/veya yak?nlar?n?z? rahats?z eden bir kis,inin,

                                    * (Gizli kay?t/özel numara bile olsa) Tel. numaras?na (1 ve 2. kademe)
                                    * (Sabit numara ise) Telefon numaras?na ve abone bilgilerine
                                    * (Cep telefonundan ar?yor ise) Tel. numaras?na ve yer tespitine
                                    * (Ankesör telefondan ar?yor ise) yer tespitine

                                    rahatl?kla ulas,abilir, bilmediklerinizi ög(renebilir,
                                    elde ettig(iniz bilgileri "belge" olarak kullanabilir,
                                    ilis,kilerinizi de bu veriler dog(rultusunda s,ekillendirebilirsiniz.

                                    Takip gerektiren is,leriniz için,

                                    * Kay?p kis,i bulma ve yer tespit çal?s,malar?
                                    * Çal?nt? arabalarda yer tespiti ve "bulma tüyolar?"
                                    * Ticari piyasa, rakip ve muhaliflerle ilgili tespit ve aras,t?rmalar
                                    * Kredi kart? ve banka hesab? doland?r?c?l?g(?nda fail tespiti
                                    * Kanun kaçaklar?n?n ve g?yâbi tutuklular?n bulunmas?nda is, takibi

                                    Ayr?ca,

                                    * "Tele-Kay?t" ile telefon görüs,melerini kaydedebilirsiniz.
                                    * "Tele-Kulak" ile kablosuz telefon dinleyebilirsiniz (Sabit tel/GSM).
                                    * "Casus-Kulakl?k" ile ortam dinleyebilirsiniz (Mesafe s?n?r? var/yok).
                                    * "Sound Converter" cihaz? ile sesinizi deg(is,tirerek konus,abilirsiniz.
                                    * "GSM-Casus" uygulamas? ile ses kayd? ve nakli yapabilirsiniz.
                                    * "Kap-kaç Alarm?"n? evinize, araban?za, is,yerinize uygulayabilirsiniz.

                                    Maliyet bilgilerini ve dig(er ög(renmek isteg(iniz ayr?nt?lar? sorunuz.
                                    Bu reklam sizi ilgilendirmiyorsa, lütfen ihtiyac? olanlar? bilgilendiriniz.

                                    N. Cem, Antalya, TR
                                    GSM ve SMS: 0546-797 93 76
                                    E-MAIL ve MSN: sd1005t4r@...
                                    ICQ: 310-115-006

                                  • Vladimir Linder
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 6, 2005
                                      It is in Turkish language from Antalia, southern Turkey.

                                      Vladi

                                    • Dr. Joe Q
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 7, 2005
                                        It could be spam, but I don't see usual $20 M USD or
                                        some other outrageous sum of money that you are going
                                        to get.

                                        It is from Turkey and that is why you have the ?
                                        marks. You have to select a compatible character set
                                        on your browser (under the View tab), try Unicode
                                        UTF-8 first, and others until you have only letters
                                        with various diacritical marks.

                                        I do not know any Turkish so I cannot begin to guess
                                        what the message is.

                                        Dr. "Q"

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com