Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
      What language did they speak? Which church did they attend? Do you have
      any living relatives who can tell you?

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
        Dear Bruce,

        I hope it's not splitting hairs, but of course there was no such country as
        Czechoslovakia in 1877, not until after the first World War - it was all
        Austria-Hungary up till then. Kralik surely sounds like a Slovak name.

        I was able to copy my grandfather's naturalization papers a few weeks ago -
        he was naturalized in 1908 - and in them he promised "to renounce absolutely
        and forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate,
        state or sovereignty, and particularly Francis Joseph, Emporer of Austria of
        which at this time I am a subject".

        Since he died too young in 1918, I never knew him, but it was touching to
        see his signature, which, as it turned out, was virtually identical to my
        father's signature. We are fortunate in Rockland County that a record of
        naturalizations is available on line, and the complete papers are on
        microfilm at the county archives.

        Regina Rabatin Haring, Nanuet, NY

        > What is the next step in finding my ancestors and can anyone confirm that
        > the names are slovak?
        >
        > from the death certificates of my grandparents who lived and died in
        > Milwaukee Wisconsin, I have learned the following:
        >
        > My grandfather KAROL BAGIN was born in CZECHO-SLOVAKIA on September 10,
        1877
        > to MICHAEL BAGIN and ELIZABETH KRALIK.
        >
        > My grandmother MARY BAGIN was born in Czecho-slovakia on June 15, 1881 to
        > JOSEPH MINAR and EVA ZSIKAVSZKY.
        >
        > ANY HELP IS MOST WELCOME AND GREATLY APPRECIATED.
        >

        > Bruce Bagin
        > 312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
        > Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
        > 412-281-1110
        > FAX 412-281-8481
        > email bagin@...

      • Bruce Bagin
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
          Ihave an aunt an uncle but all of my efforts to find out any information
          from them has failed. I notice from the death certificate that my father
          provided the information, but he died of congestive heart failure in 1968 at
          age 52. My grand mother died of a stroke secondary to athrosclerosis. both
          my brother and I have had coronary artery bypass surgery. He at age 40 and
          me at age 50.

          My aunt and uncle tell the same story that their parents were silent on
          their life in the old country. My aunt didn't know her grandparents because
          neither of their parents spoke of them.

          the 1920 census shows that they immigrated to the US in 1904 from
          austria-hungary and were naturalized in 1916. Nara can't find any record of
          them.

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
            My father said that they spoke slovenian or german. They attended St
            Stephens Catholic Church in MIlwaukee, WI on walnut street. the church was
            closed on the late 40' or early 50's and my payments to the achivist of the
            archdiocese has not produced any record of marriage, church attendance, or
            funerals. I'm stuck. My next move is a FOIA request to INS; however if it
            is too costly for them to conduct a search I may not be able to afford it.

            I learned that My great grandmother remarried when her husband died and
            Married Steve Dano in or around Bolesov, but I have not found anything
            further.

            there are only two living relatives in the US and they have been helpful
            with the danno family, but when Steve Dano, JR. came to the US, he settled
            in northern wisconsin and had little to do with his step brother,my
            grandfather so the information stops.

            Many thanks,

            YOur help is appreciated.

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
              Well, you have two places to start: passenger indices, and naturalization
              papers. The latter are generally to be found in the County Courthouse where
              they resided, but in some cases are found in federal courts. For the
              former, 1904 is a very good year, because most immigrants came through Ellis
              Island. New York has indices for that year. Try www.nara.gov and explore
              their genealogy pages. If you live near a regional archive, you can go in
              yourself and look through microfilms that have different kinds of name
              indices for various ports. If not you can order them through the Family
              History Center. You do this by looking up the location first, like New
              York, New York. Go to www.familysearch.org

              Another likely idea for you: check out their Social Security applications.
              This will have some information that will be helpful, like parents' names.

              We have all (or at least many) been down these trails and can help you at
              each step. I'd also advise a free general search at www.rootsweb.com -- you
              never know what might turn up on some database. They have a free Social
              Security search engine. You won't find everybody, but you will find lots of
              your people this way.

              Last but not at all least, go to Maura Petzolt's web site, at the bottom of
              the Slovak Roots posts, and read carefully. Do that first!

              > Ihave an aunt an uncle but all of my efforts to find out any information
              > from them has failed. I notice from the death certificate that my father
              > provided the information, but he died of congestive heart failure in 1968
              at
              > age 52. My grand mother died of a stroke secondary to athrosclerosis.
              both
              > my brother and I have had coronary artery bypass surgery. He at age 40
              and
              > me at age 50.
              >
              > My aunt and uncle tell the same story that their parents were silent on
              > their life in the old country. My aunt didn't know her grandparents
              because
              > neither of their parents spoke of them.
              >
              > the 1920 census shows that they immigrated to the US in 1904 from
              > austria-hungary and were naturalized in 1916. Nara can't find any record
              of
              > them.
              >
              > Bruce Bagin
              > 312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
              > Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
              > 412-281-1110
              > FAX 412-281-8481
              > email bagin@...

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                Let's hope your father was confusing Slovene with Slovak. How about a
                marriage certificate? If I remember the ages correctly, your parents must
                have married in the U.S. These can sometimes be obtained through the Family
                History Center as well as being generally available from the County where
                they married.

                And did you know that you can access census data from later years than 1920
                under certain circumstances? I have not tried this yet but it sounds like a
                good idea!

                Is Bolesov in Slovakia today?

                > My father said that they spoke slovenian or german. They attended St
                > Stephens Catholic Church in MIlwaukee, WI on walnut street. the church
                was
                > closed on the late 40' or early 50's and my payments to the achivist of
                the
                > archdiocese has not produced any record of marriage, church attendance, or
                > funerals. I'm stuck. My next move is a FOIA request to INS; however if
                it
                > is too costly for them to conduct a search I may not be able to afford it.
                >
                > I learned that My great grandmother remarried when her husband died and
                > Married Steve Dano in or around Bolesov, but I have not found anything
                > further.
                >
                > there are only two living relatives in the US and they have been helpful
                > with the danno family, but when Steve Dano, JR. came to the US, he settled
                > in northern wisconsin and had little to do with his step brother,my
                > grandfather so the information stops.
                >
                > Many thanks,
                >
                > YOur help is appreciated.
                >

                > >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
                > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com>
                > >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Help
                > >Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:49:05 -0700
                > >
                > >What language did they speak? Which church did they attend? Do you have
                > >any living relatives who can tell you?

              • Bruce Bagin
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                  The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
                  the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
                  only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
                  Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
                  of origin.

                  Many thanks,

                  bb
                • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                    Boles^ov is only 15 km northeast of Trenc^in, this a very large city there
                    should be a number of records available for Bolesov.

                    Check the LDS site:

                    http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=756574&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

                    They list 3 microfilms covering 1700-1896.

                    Dr. "Q"

                  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                      Bruce,

                      How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before making any
                      progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place" for my
                      great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                      Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and a "~"
                      slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This turned out
                      to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová Ves.
                      I now ancestral data back to 1730.

                      Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was that
                      they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak and
                      not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't show
                      up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                      especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80 years
                      ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke "broken
                      English" with a heavy eastern European accent.

                      Dr. "Q"

                      >Bruce Bagin wrote:

                      > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them and
                      > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because it
                      > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father is
                      > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the country
                      > of origin.
                      >
                      > Many thanks,
                      >
                      > bb
                    • Andrea Vangor
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                        Well, if you have a village of origin in Slovakia as Dr. Q says, then you
                        are in fat city for getting records. Get that marriage record too, that's
                        my advice. It should point you to more leads. And try to figure out which
                        port they came from. If you don't know start with New York.

                        > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                        and
                        > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful because
                        it
                        > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my father
                        is
                        > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                        country
                        > of origin.
                        >
                        > Many thanks,
                        >
                        > bb

                      • Bruce Bagin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                          For about four years. On my fathers baptismal certificate my grandmothers
                          maiden name is given as Mueller not minor. My aunt was born in 1922, when
                          my grandmother was 41 years old. The 1920 census shows my grandfather as
                          fluent in English, but not my grandmother. Yet I don't recall that he had
                          any fluency. My recolection is that my father would speak to them in a
                          language that he called slovenian. I learned how to read at an early age
                          because I could not speak slovenian and was left to read the english
                          languange insert of the Slovak Catholic Sokol newspaper.

                          I have contacted the SCS in Passiac to see whether they have records of the
                          information provided to get the insurance policies,but I got a we'd like
                          tohelp you but we're too busy.

                          The people at the county courthouse in Milwaukee tell me that they do not
                          have any naturalization papers for my grandfather.
                          so did NARA Chicago. They must be someplace. The info on the LDS pubs is
                          helpful and they have a center about 7 miles from here in Greentree, PA so I
                          shall get over there this week.

                          I would like to know more about my grandmother. Her mothers maiden name is
                          a tongue twister and I wasn't sure whether it is a Slovak name because of
                          the spelling. I don't speak the language, but I am going to take some
                          classes so that I can defend myself when I get there.

                          Many thanks,

                          I enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate the information.

                          bb

                          > How long have you been searching? Many of us have spent years before
                          making any
                          > progress. In my case, it was 9 years before I got a copy of the "place"
                          for my
                          > great grandfather's birth (it was a copy from the church death record in
                          > Pennsylvania. It was in hand written script consisting of 10 letters and
                          a "~"
                          > slightly above and following the last "s"- - - "Hrusov Spis~." This
                          turned out
                          > to be present day Spišský Hrušov, a small town 10 km east of Spišská Nová
                          Ves.
                          > I now ancestral data back to 1730.
                          >
                          > Until this break, the best my remaining relatives could come up with was
                          that
                          > they came from "Žižkov". An interesting position since they spoke Slovak
                          and
                          > not Czech; and Jan Žižkov is a Czech/Moravian hero. The name just doesn't
                          show
                          > up in Slovakia. Interestingly enough "Žižkov" sounds a lot like "Hrušov",
                          > especially to someone who was trying to remember a word he heard nearly 80
                          years
                          > ago when he was 7 years old AND the word was spoken by someone who spoke
                          "broken
                          > English" with a heavy eastern European accent.
                          >
                          > Dr. "Q"
                          >
                          > >Bruce Bagin wrote:
                          >
                          > > The death certificate shows no social security number for either of them
                          and
                          > > the cemetary only has the death certificate, which is not helpful
                          because it
                          > > only asks for state or country of birth and the answer given by my
                          father is
                          > > Czecho-slovakia. I guess in 1949 and 1952 that was the name of the
                          country
                          > > of origin.
                          > >
                          > > Many thanks,
                          > >
                          > > bb

                        • Bruce Bagin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 6, 2000
                            Not so fat. I have the city of origin of Steve Dano, and widow Bagin, their
                            son, my grandfather's step brother came to the US and was told to change
                            surname to Danno because of problems with the Postal service.

                            I have heard from a Bagin who now lives in Canada, who came from Kamencamy
                            which is in the neighborhood. So I feel certain that I'm in the right area,
                            but need to perform a bettr search.

                            Many thanks,

                            bb

                          • sabinov@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                              I'm a bit confused by your statement "nara can't find any record of
                              them". What does this mean? Have you asked the regional archives for the
                              state they were in for the naturalization papers?
                              Have you checked the 1910 census for the state they were in? Have you
                              found their arrival on a ship manifest? Some states also have state
                              censuses (not federal) after 1920 which are already available, have you
                              checked that? Have you checked city directories, church records? Have
                              you gotten their obituaries?

                              There seems to be an awful lot you can do before you say "nara can't
                              find any record of them". Most of these things you can do yourself via
                              your local FHC or local genealogy society.
                              It takes a little effort, but it's how we all do it.
                              Sending for a FOIA request before you do all this is kind of ridiculous
                              in my opinion. For one thing, it's going to take a long time, when you
                              can do most of these things pretty easily.

                            • John Kozakiewicz
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                Maura,

                                I have the same problem. NARA sent me to the Court System where my
                                grandparents lived. It was a hell of a lot of money for them to research it
                                for me, so I gave up.

                                John Kozakiewicz

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                  Likewise. I sent money to Los Angeles Superior Court about six months ago
                                  and have heard zip. NARA had nothing.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                    Since no one STILL has made clear what you are asking NARA -for-, I
                                    can't really help you.

                                    However, I -think- you are talking about naturalization papers, which
                                    you can easily get by emailing the NARA branch (-not- the main one in
                                    DC, who will usually refer you to a local court) and asking them for the
                                    info, which they usually charge $10 or less for (and in some cases you
                                    can get up to 5 for that $10)

                                    In the rare instance where NARA branches do not hold the records, as in
                                    one county in PA I was looking for, they will refer you to the court,
                                    which should then also charge you very little for. Also, most of these
                                    records are microfilmed anyway by the LDS.

                                    So first, you need to make clear -what- you are talking about.....
                                    because if you don't make it clear or don't tell people the details of
                                    what you are talking about, this is what happens.... when people try to
                                    help only to be told along the lines of 'but I've done that already".

                                    Read the section on How to Write a Successful Query on my Hints page for
                                    more help on making your queries more understandable.

                                  • Bruce Bagin
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                      My email to NARA chicago which handles Milwaukee couldnt find any record of
                                      the naturalization of my grandfather, Karol Bagin,who told the census takers
                                      in 1920 that he arived in the US in 1904 and was naturalized in 1916. My
                                      contacts with the Milwaukee county clerk of courts have been equally
                                      unproductive. I am going to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and I hope to
                                      find more information that way. I have found that it is more difficult than
                                      is frequently portrayed, but I havenot quit yet and don't plan to.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                        I've been catching up on this thread, and I'm not sure I'm hitting on the
                                        right point. If what I say is not relevent, I'm sorry. I just thought this
                                        might help.

                                        About naturalization papers and NARA. NARA only holds naturalization papers
                                        for people who were naturalized in federal courts. People went to the court
                                        nearest them, no matter what kind of court it was. If you visit a regional
                                        NARA center, they will have nat. records only for that region's federal
                                        courts. I was just at NARA NYC this past week, and had a discussion with
                                        them about this very thing.
                                        I get my relatives' naturalization papers from the INS, the immigration and
                                        naturalization service. You need to fill out a form G-639 (Freedom of
                                        Information/Privacy Act Request) from the INS, which you can download or
                                        request by mail from http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/index.htm. You
                                        need to show proof of death of the subject (obit or certificate etc.). Under
                                        section 4, documents desired, you need to state "subject's entire INS file,
                                        including Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalizaton, and
                                        Naturalization Certificate". Otherwise, they may send you only the
                                        certificate, which will tell you nothing of the origins or immigration.

                                        Again I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hope this helps.

                                        Robin Hannig
                                        Palmer, PA
                                      • Andrea Vangor
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 7, 2000
                                          Very helpful information. Thank you. I think they are all dead at the Los
                                          Angeles Superior Court. Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                          death record...

                                        • RAHannig00@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                            << Wonder if they would take a California on-line
                                            death record... >>
                                            If your person was born long enough ago that they ought to be dead by now
                                            anyway, I would think the INS should accept the certificate you found online.
                                            But that's just my guess. Afterall, an obituary is not an official document
                                            either. When I've used obits, I didn't even cite the source of the obits.
                                            Since the request is free (except for the stamp), I guess it can't hurt to
                                            try. They are very good about confirming receipt of your request. I'm sure
                                            they will tell you if you need better documentation.
                                            Robin Hannig
                                            Palmer, PA
                                          • Andrea Vangor
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 8, 2000
                                              Thanks. I'm going to try it. Now to figure out where this thread
                                              started... too much genealogy going on around here!