Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Family History Catalog, Slovakia

  • Andy Verostko
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
      Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

      There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
      and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
      book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
      one ort the other.
      If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
      becomes part of the
      permanent recods at the FHC>

      Relevant Data:

      Author: Jana Kalesna
      Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
      Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

      Microfische #: 6000786
      Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

      To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
      book.
      Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
      be a
      list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
      for
      your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
      town parish
      where the church data was recorded.

      Typical will be something like this.

      Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
      Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

      Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
      and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

      from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
      to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
      for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

      Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
      Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

      Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
      records can be found.

      I hope this makes some sense
      Regards Andy V....

      --

      Regards

      Andy Verostko

      averostko@...

      http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
        Thanks Andy. I'll make sure to file a copy in three or four locations so I
        don't lose track or accidentally delete it.

        John