Re: [Fwd: [S-R] Ritzinger from Spisska N V]

  • treimer@nycap.rr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2009
      Tom,

      Could he be the school teacher? That would be a respected person in the town, esp. as the teacher doubled as cantor in church, and often organized the music at funerals as well (I may add that while respected, teachers were not paid a lot, so the additional gulden and kreuzer gathered here and there counted).

      That he has a German name would be normal for the Zips--it was heavily German for half a millenium, and still a third to a quarter in the 19th century. So did Zipser Neudorf (Nova Ves).

      Thomas