Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Family History Catalog, Slovakia

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
      Good site. It has some interesting options. I was able to go back and
      obtain the film numbers for the Bardejov, Lenartov and Malcov records with
      a little experimenting. It's a little convoluted for that purpose but it
      does give you a listing of over 1,000 villages (not mine) and other useful
      information. Unfortunately, I haven't found the key to locating small
      villages associated with the parish that keeps the records in some
      cases. I know that some of my ancestor's records are with the Livov
      records. When I get to the Livov records, the villages included in
      the Livov records are not listed. The same for Varadka. Anyone have an
      idea of where this information is. I vaguely recall someone suggesting a
      microfiche. I got the critical ones by working with someone in Salt Lake
      City a couple of years ago but there must be another way.

      Heavy traffic on this site. Is this the norm?

      John

      At 03:12 PM 8/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

      >In a message dated 8/6/00 2:08:14 PM, mgmojher@... writes:
      >
      ><<
      >http://www.familysearch.com/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails
      >&subject=90&subject_disp=Slovakia&columns=*,180,0 >>
      >
      >Thx for this info! I did not know this was online! Mary Anne

    • Andy Verostko
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
        Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

        There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
        and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
        book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
        one ort the other.
        If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
        becomes part of the
        permanent recods at the FHC>

        Relevant Data:

        Author: Jana Kalesna
        Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
        Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

        Microfische #: 6000786
        Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

        To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
        book.
        Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
        be a
        list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
        for
        your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
        town parish
        where the church data was recorded.

        Typical will be something like this.

        Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
        Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

        Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
        and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

        from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
        to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
        for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

        Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
        Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

        Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
        records can be found.

        I hope this makes some sense
        Regards Andy V....

        --

        Regards

        Andy Verostko

        averostko@...

        http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko
      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
          Thanks Andy. I'll make sure to file a copy in three or four locations so I
          don't lose track or accidentally delete it.

          John