Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Family History Catalog, Slovakia

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
      This list does not provide the film number for specific sets of church
      records for the localities, as far as I have been able to determine. Go
      back to the starting point and select Opina or Kosice for your location and
      see the difference.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
        Good site. It has some interesting options. I was able to go back and
        obtain the film numbers for the Bardejov, Lenartov and Malcov records with
        a little experimenting. It's a little convoluted for that purpose but it
        does give you a listing of over 1,000 villages (not mine) and other useful
        information. Unfortunately, I haven't found the key to locating small
        villages associated with the parish that keeps the records in some
        cases. I know that some of my ancestor's records are with the Livov
        records. When I get to the Livov records, the villages included in
        the Livov records are not listed. The same for Varadka. Anyone have an
        idea of where this information is. I vaguely recall someone suggesting a
        microfiche. I got the critical ones by working with someone in Salt Lake
        City a couple of years ago but there must be another way.

        Heavy traffic on this site. Is this the norm?

        John

        At 03:12 PM 8/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

        >In a message dated 8/6/00 2:08:14 PM, mgmojher@... writes:
        >
        ><<
        >http://www.familysearch.com/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails
        >&subject=90&subject_disp=Slovakia&columns=*,180,0 >>
        >
        >Thx for this info! I did not know this was online! Mary Anne

      • Andy Verostko
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
          Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

          There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
          and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
          book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
          one ort the other.
          If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
          becomes part of the
          permanent recods at the FHC>

          Relevant Data:

          Author: Jana Kalesna
          Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
          Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

          Microfische #: 6000786
          Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

          To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
          book.
          Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
          be a
          list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
          for
          your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
          town parish
          where the church data was recorded.

          Typical will be something like this.

          Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
          Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

          Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
          and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

          from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
          to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
          for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

          Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
          Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

          Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
          records can be found.

          I hope this makes some sense
          Regards Andy V....

          --

          Regards

          Andy Verostko

          averostko@...

          http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
            Thanks Andy. I'll make sure to file a copy in three or four locations so I
            don't lose track or accidentally delete it.

            John