Re: PLICATE results at FHL Indexing RE: [S-R] Reminder: volunteer to Index records for the FHL

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2009
      Frank,
      Over the course of my ten years as a S-R member the one thing that Bill and the professional genealogists have stressed is original documents. Any secondary source is suspect no matter how well intended. As we all know our human limitations cause errors. As you pointed out, transcribed documents are a starting point. For anyone who has looked at the original Ship's Manifests at Ellis Island website or looked through the FHC films it is very apparent how difficult it can be to read handwriting correctly. I know for myself it took a couple of months of looking at the FHC films before I could read them with some ease.
      For those who are considering taking part in the indexing know your limitations. If you are not sure, get a second opinion. That could prevent a lot of mistakes. If the two of you cannot agree, be willing to go for a third. Better to be correct.
      The first mantra of genealogy is location, location, location. The second is originals, originals, originals.
      Michael