RE: [S-R] Re: Ancestor's Ages

  • Marianna
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
      I sent in my DNA swabs from myself and my brother for both tests. I haven’t
      heard anything after 8 weeks, though it was supposed to be only about 6
      weeks for results. Perhaps the holidays have delayed things. My maternal
      Scots roots have been relatively easy to trace, but I had the tests done
      because my paternal Slovak roots are giving me fits. My Hancin (gf) and
      Lodnan (gm) grandparents were from the village of Stara Bystrica just in
      case anyone has clues for me. Will let you know about my DNA results when
      they arrive. I’m learning a lot from you wonderful researchers. Thanks.

      Marianna Hancin

      Glendale, Arizona

      _____

      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@ <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com>
      iabsi.com>
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Male Levary
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 5:03 PM

      Hi Julie,

      It happened a lot. 25% never made it to until adulthood. In my tree, I
      must have more than 25 names that never made it. It's not something they
      got emotional about the way we do today. It was expected and accepted. You
      will also note that this phenomena kept the size of each nuclear family low.
      We always think about bountiful procreation, lots of support. Most rural
      households could not afford to feed a large family. One reason why so many
      immigrated to America. Life was pretty bad. Sad, eh?

      The region did not have satisfactory health care until the 1950s. this
      is why it is so important to make a chronology. Not only do you see the
      gaps, but you also see places where your research may be in error. We
      cannot assume anything here.

      To make matters even more confusing, sometimes children's names were
      re-used, so tread with care!

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups.
      com