Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Family History Catalog, Slovakia

  • Madrobnak@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
      In a message dated 8/6/00 2:08:14 PM, mgmojher@... writes:

      <<
      http://www.familysearch.com/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails
      &subject=90&subject_disp=Slovakia&columns=*,180,0 >>

      Thx for this info! I did not know this was online! Mary Anne
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
        This list does not provide the film number for specific sets of church
        records for the localities, as far as I have been able to determine. Go
        back to the starting point and select Opina or Kosice for your location and
        see the difference.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
          Good site. It has some interesting options. I was able to go back and
          obtain the film numbers for the Bardejov, Lenartov and Malcov records with
          a little experimenting. It's a little convoluted for that purpose but it
          does give you a listing of over 1,000 villages (not mine) and other useful
          information. Unfortunately, I haven't found the key to locating small
          villages associated with the parish that keeps the records in some
          cases. I know that some of my ancestor's records are with the Livov
          records. When I get to the Livov records, the villages included in
          the Livov records are not listed. The same for Varadka. Anyone have an
          idea of where this information is. I vaguely recall someone suggesting a
          microfiche. I got the critical ones by working with someone in Salt Lake
          City a couple of years ago but there must be another way.

          Heavy traffic on this site. Is this the norm?

          John

          At 03:12 PM 8/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

          >In a message dated 8/6/00 2:08:14 PM, mgmojher@... writes:
          >
          ><<
          >http://www.familysearch.com/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails
          >&subject=90&subject_disp=Slovakia&columns=*,180,0 >>
          >
          >Thx for this info! I did not know this was online! Mary Anne

        • Andy Verostko
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
            Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

            There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
            and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
            book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
            one ort the other.
            If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
            becomes part of the
            permanent recods at the FHC>

            Relevant Data:

            Author: Jana Kalesna
            Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
            Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

            Microfische #: 6000786
            Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

            To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
            book.
            Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
            be a
            list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
            for
            your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
            town parish
            where the church data was recorded.

            Typical will be something like this.

            Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
            Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

            Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
            and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

            from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
            to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
            for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

            Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
            Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

            Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
            records can be found.

            I hope this makes some sense
            Regards Andy V....

            --

            Regards

            Andy Verostko

            averostko@...

            http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko
          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2000
              Thanks Andy. I'll make sure to file a copy in three or four locations so I
              don't lose track or accidentally delete it.

              John