  • Candi Shafer
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 5, 2009
       I have been a member of this group for awhile but didn't think I had enough information about my grandmother to seek help from the group.  Recent posts and the tremendous response has inspired me to see what help I might find.

      According to my grandmothers death certificate her birthdate is 12-18-1884. It lists Czechoslovakia as the place of birth.  According to the Ellis island records she immigrated in 1909 and her place of residence then was listed as Kibbe, Hungary.  I understand from a second cousin who traveled to Slovakia many years ago to investigate that my grandmother lived in Dvalo, located in the high Tatra mountains.  Her maiden name was Vogel  as the family knew it, (may have been Fogel) Father's name was Peter.  I understand that her mother's maiden name was Klein (don't know if the spelling is correct).

      I have been unable to locate a village by the name of Dvalo or Dualo.  I'd be interested in any information anyone might have or any direction to investigate further.  There are no family members left that could contribute information. I have tried to follow the guidelines given in other responses but seem to have hit a deadend.

      Thank you for your time.  Candi

    • Ron
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 9, 2012
        Yes, you did Vilo.

        The one additional thing we (two of us) should have done was to delete the link in any discussion of it.

        Ron