Re: [Fwd: [S-R] Re: I'm a new mwmber and wanted to say hi]

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
      To add in here...
      Tax and Census info should always be taken with a grain of salt (and an aspirin!) since they both affected how much a person PAID OUT.  Like all of us, they tried to find ways to save money, and not paying due tax was a very popular way of saving money.  Parish records and inventories/last wills and testaments will give you much more relaible dates and information on wealth (the dead rarely lied... as third parties created the inventories and witnessed them.  A civil death certificate will of be very wrong for an immigrant. I was looking through some Census info, and my subject was getting younger each time... :-P

      I just was working on a German family, and found a Minnesota declaration of intent to apply for citizenship- the lady's place of birth was "Eberstadt, Wittburg." This place doesn't exist- but Eberstadt is in Wurttemburg! This is just one example of mistakes that always crop up...
      Ben

      From: "margesonny" <m-s6hix2@cfl. rr.com>
      Date: Sun, January 4, 2009 7:42 pm
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      I want to thank everyone for there suggestions on finding my
      grandmothers immigration record. I have used Steve Morse' website,
      FHL, Ellis Island and others and just cannot find it. I have searched
      for this on and off for many years. I let it go and do other research
      and always come back hoping there will be new records available and
      that I will find it.

      My mother, Mary Varhola Welton, is the daughter of Anna Plavcan and I
      always wanted to find this and get the certificate from Ellis Island
      for her. My mother is now 92 and is still hoping I can find this, I
      will keep searching.

      I have often wondered it the dates I have are wrong and after reading
      below I start thinking that if she had her first child in 1916 and
      came in 1906, where was she for 10 years? My mothers tells me that
      she spent a short time working in New Jersey and then an uncle
      arranged a marriage for her probably in 1915-16 ( should get a copy
      of that record). From what I know it would have been very hard for a
      young woman to support herself for that period of time, and her
      uncles certainly did not want to take care of her.

      I am not writing this search off yet and am open to any suggestions

      -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@.. .>