a town called Zaprokruk? or something that looks or sounds that way? Near Gorodenka or Przemsl

  • Antoinette Berkshire
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
        I used the FuzzyG website to try and locate the towns you have listed. The only one that had a hit was Gorodenka. Several were listed in Russia. There was one in the Ukraine. The only thing close to it that looks like Zaprokruk was Zakarpattia. There was nothing close to Przems. I found that an alternative spelling is Horodenka.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
          Well than that is most likely it.

          Zadubrovtse is a possibility, it's 9.5 Miles ssw of Gorodenka
          Use Shtetlseeker radius search.
          http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

          I am fairly certain she is referring to the important Galician city of
          Przemysl/Peremyshl, which goes by various spellings in other languages. It
          was/is an important diocesan center. Today it is in Poland, on the Ukraine
          Border.
          I believe she needs to be looking in Ukraine.

          Brian Lenius (Jewishgen) has published a Genealogical Gazeteer of Galicia.
          It may be include therein.
          I am treading now on my thin knowledge of this subject; that's all I can
          offer.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
            Thank you for looking. I am very unsure about Zaprokruk because that was how it sounded when my grandfather said it, but he could really put a twist on some English words, so not sure at all. You are right about Gorodenka sometimes being called Horodenka. That is where he was born. Zaprokruk was where he lived. Przemysl, my grandmother's home, was in Galicia, but a border fortress area and now part of Poland. This research is so addictive and easy to go from one thing to another with just a little bit more information. Again, thank you.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
              Here's what we have by virtue of ShtetlSeeker and some great minds.
              Przemyœl, 49°47' N 22°47' E
              Zadubrovtse, Zadubrovtsy 48°32' N 25°27' E
              Gorodënka, Horodenka 48°40' N 25°30' E

              Are there any other references, for example an Ellis Island listing?

              CURRENT MAP