Re: Male Levary

  • momsbeenscrappin
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
      Once again, I thank you all for your help. Now I have someplace to
      start. I could spend days and days going from one interesting link to
      the next. What wonderful information you have!
      Yesterday I sent an email to some of my cousins asking if anyone may
      have any documents from our grandparents, and one came across several
      (not in english)that look to be baptism records and a prayer book with
      may pages of writing. Now to find someone to translate, and hopefully
      they contain some information to help me on this quest. This spring my
      cousins and I are all meeting on Ellis Island to commemorate the 100th
      anniversary of our grandparents coming to the US, and I'm hoping to be
      able to share some new family history with them.

      Thanks again - Doris

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
        Doris,
        Many people on these groups generously offer to translate brief documents
        for nothing but a "thank you." Can you scan and post the document somewhere
        on the internet for the group to see?

        Bill

        Once again, I thank you all for your help. Now I have someplace to
        start. I could spend days and days going from one interesting link to
        the next. What wonderful information you have!
        Yesterday I sent an email to some of my cousins asking if anyone may
        have any documents from our grandparents, and one came across several
        (not in english)that look to be baptism records and a prayer book with
        may pages of writing. Now to find someone to translate, and hopefully
        they contain some information to help me on this quest. This spring my
        cousins and I are all meeting on Ellis Island to commemorate the 100th
        anniversary of our grandparents coming to the US, and I'm hoping to be
        able to share some new family history with them.

        Thanks again - Doris

        > (nagylevard, now Velke Levare), <<<
        >
        > It won't hurt to view the church records in Malé Leváre, Malacky,
        > Slovakia.

      • momsbeenscrappin
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
          Really? What a generous group of folks! My cousin still has the
          documents, but she is taking them to work with her tomorrow to scan
          and email to me. As soon as I receive them I can post. Is there a
          specific place within the group to post such documents or photos,
          perhaps in the FILES section?

          I believe I read a line in another post that said there was an
          indescribable feeling you get when you first lay eyes on a document
          that you've been searching for, and I can't wait to get that feeling
          again. When I found my grandparents immigration information through
          the ship manifests, I scared my kids because I was yelling and
          laughing and dancing around the room! They thought their mom finally
          lost her marbles, and have since gotten used to my excitement from
          new discoveries.

          Enough babbling from me - thank you again! Doris

          ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

        • dulli862@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
            They just don't understand why we're on this computer day and night
            researching....LOL

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
              Doris,

              That's what I call a "good problem!"

              I would suggest doing three things:

              a) Begin to examine the church records that have been microfilmed by the
              Mormons. This will take some time as the films need to be identified,
              ordered and then viewed. A month or two. I will offer to drop a note to the
              Slovakia indexer at the FHL to see what's up with your village not being in
              the catalog. If this leads to a temporary dead-end, we can work on
              something else. The other alternative is to submit a request to the
              Slovakia State Archives and for a fee, they will do the research for you.
              However this could be a 3-12 month wait, perhaps longer.

              b) Get your requests off to the BCIS for your immigrant's records.
              Historically, these requests were taking as much as 1-2 years to be
              responded to. With 9/11, it ground to a halt. Ostensibly it's much better
              these days. This is a "prime the pump" activity. Get the letter and
              payment in the mail and then go on to work on something else.

              c) Construct a timeline for each of your immigrants - note all major life
              milestones birth, marriage, death, immigration, birth of offspring, moving
              residences. Approximate the date if unknown. Certain rules of thumbs can
              be applied. Most females from towns were married by 18, most females from
              rural villages married by 16. Most men were married by age 22 due to
              military service. Typically a 2 to 4 year gap in husband and wife's ages.
              Children began to be born about every two years, for about 10-12 year
              period, commencing at (or shortly before) marriage.

              The reason to do this is to begin to identify gaps that need investigation -
              a 4 year gap between children for example, the researcher might find a child
              who died in infancy or at birth. Gaps in location are important too. When
              estimating, I try to get it down to a +-2 year window, and note it as such.

              The time line in many ways is more important than building the family tree.

              Keep coming back to this group and asking about next steps, if you are
              unsure how to proceed.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                Absolutely. Just create a folder with your surname on it, put the photos
                in there. Then post a note to the group to tell everyone they are ready for
                viewing and be specific about what you want to know.

                For me, the feeling was, looking at a record that was written and viewed
                when my ancestor was born. Without that birth, I never would be alive
                today! Plus, so few people have looked at these pages, in fact, your eyes
                may be the first eyes viewing this record in over 100 years. Very moving.

                Bill

                <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                > Doris,
                > Many people on these groups generously offer to translate brief
                documents
                > for nothing but a "thank you." Can you scan and post the document
                somewhere
                > on the internet for the group to see?
                >

                > Bill

              • Julie & Kevin
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Bill,
                  I found in researching the records one more thing that blew me away , as
                  I went thru the births , marriages & finishing with the deaths .. in some
                  instances MY ANCESTOR was the only one to survive childhood in that family
                  !! My link almost did not make it. It was some thing to think about. It
                  makes you realize how close you came to not being, very humbling . I have
                  done research for a few others and have found the same thing, not often ,
                  but it happens.
                  Julie B in NC

                  Really? What a generous group of folks! My cousin still has the
                  documents, but she is taking them to work with her tomorrow to scan
                  and email to me. As soon as I receive them I can post. Is there a
                  specific place within the group to post such documents or photos,
                  perhaps in the FILES section?

                  I believe I read a line in another post that said there was an
                  indescribable feeling you get when you first lay eyes on a document
                  that you've been searching for, and I can't wait to get that feeling
                  again. When I found my grandparents immigration information through
                  the ship manifests, I scared my kids because I was yelling and
                  laughing and dancing around the room! They thought their mom finally
                  lost her marbles, and have since gotten used to my excitement from
                  new discoveries.

                  Enough babbling from me - thank you again! Doris
                  yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"

                  ROOTS@yahoogroups. <mailto:ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> com] On
                  > Behalf Of momsbeenscrappin
                  > Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:35 PM
                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [S-R] Re: Male Levary
                  >
                  > Once again, I thank you all for your help. Now I have someplace to
                  > start. I could spend days and days going from one interesting link
                  > the next. What wonderful information you have!
                  > Yesterday I sent an email to some of my cousins asking if anyone
                  may
                  > have any documents from our grandparents, and one came across
                  several
                  > (not in english)that look to be baptism records and a prayer book
                  with
                  > may pages of writing. Now to find someone to translate, and
                  hopefully
                  > they contain some information to help me on this quest. This spring
                  my
                  > cousins and I are all meeting on Ellis Island to commemorate the
                  100th
                  > anniversary of our grandparents coming to the US, and I'm hoping to
                  be
                  > able to share some new family history with them.
                  >
                  > Thanks again - Doris
                  >

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                  > > (nagylevard, now Velke Levare), <<<
                  > >
                  > > It won't hurt to view the church records in Malé Leváre, Malacky,
                  > > Slovakia.

                  ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
                  email to

                  ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
                  SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Hi Julie,

                    It happened a lot. 25% never made it to until adulthood. In my tree, I
                    must have more than 25 names that never made it. It's not something they
                    got emotional about the way we do today. It was expected and accepted. You
                    will also note that this phenomena kept the size of each nuclear family low.
                    We always think about bountiful procreation, lots of support. Most rural
                    households could not afford to feed a large family. One reason why so many
                    immigrated to America. Life was pretty bad. Sad, eh?

                    The region did not have satisfactory health care until the 1950s. this
                    is why it is so important to make a chronology. Not only do you see the
                    gaps, but you also see places where your research may be in error. We
                    cannot assume anything here.

                    To make matters even more confusing, sometimes children's names were
                    re-used, so tread with care!

                    <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                    > Doris,
                    > Many people on these groups generously offer to translate brief
                    documents
                    > for nothing but a "thank you." Can you scan and post the document
                    somewhere
                    > on the internet for the group to see?
                    >

                    > Bill

                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Milka's father was the only one to make it.  Babka has buried at least 5, if not 8, children. I will have to ask to be sure.
                      Babka was born in 1918, and still walks to church.
                      Ben

                    • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                        Doris,

                        Since the town was a former Carpathian German place, you might also want to check under Großschützen, its traditional name. You'll find more records. I have a few ancestors from there (Schimek in the 18th century). The German Habaner sect also settled there.

                        Thomas

                        ---- momsbeenscrappin <momsbeenscrappin@...> wrote:
                        > Once again, I thank you all for your help. Now I have someplace to
                        > start. I could spend days and days going from one interesting link to
                        > the next. What wonderful information you have!
                        > Yesterday I sent an email to some of my cousins asking if anyone may
                        > have any documents from our grandparents, and one came across several
                        > (not in english)that look to be baptism records and a prayer book with
                        > may pages of writing. Now to find someone to translate, and hopefully
                        > they contain some information to help me on this quest. This spring my
                        > cousins and I are all meeting on Ellis Island to commemorate the 100th
                        > anniversary of our grandparents coming to the US, and I'm hoping to be
                        > able to share some new family history with them.
                        >
                        > Thanks again - Doris

                        > > (nagylevard, now Velke Levare), <<<
                        > >
                        > > It won't hurt to view the church records in Malé Leváre, Malacky,
                        > > Slovakia.

                      • momsbeenscrappin
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009
                          Thank you Thomas, I'll check there also. I was always told that
                          Schmaus was a German name, but who knows. My father had 5
                          brothers/sisters and they each thought they had a different heritage,
                          Czek or Hungarian or Austria or German based on what they remember
                          from their childhood I guess. Only the oldest was born "over there"
                          all the rest in NJ, and tales from the "old country" rarely spoken
                          of. Slovak or Hungarian was spoken in the home when the children were
                          very young, but the family soon became Americanized.

                          Doris

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@...> wrote:

                          > Doris,
                          >
                          > Since the town was a former Carpathian German place, you might also
                          want to check under Großschützen, its traditional name. You'll find
                          more records. I have a few ancestors from there (Schimek in the 18th
                          century). The German Habaner sect also settled there.

                          > Thomas

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 4, 2009

                            I spent a lot of time the past few weeks finally entering in data from our ancestry and I was so surprised to find so many of my ancestors lived to their 70s and 80s and one to 99 - this was contrary to my expectations. Our records go back to the early 1600s.

                            When my mother first went over in 1965 I asked for a few new ancestor's names; she brought back 26 direct ancestors. Years later we found one historian over there who gave us several hundred ancestors even tho he died a month after we began. He was able to read the old script and embellished the list of ancestors with anecdotes - guess my family was known for causing commotions at weddings and funerals. Then we later found another historian who added hundreds more.

                            If you go back 10 generations that means 1,000 direct ancestors.
                            I had 40 pairs of ancestors married in one village church - just think if one of those 80 people hadn't made it to the church on time - i wouldn't be here.

                            Was also surprised to find that June wasn't the big marriage month - so much seemed to be happening in February of all times - wondered if it was before Lent - there are so many marriages in Feb.- maybe that was a quiet time in a village; and found a surprising number of births in Feb - seemed way out of proportion and i was trying to understand why.

                            Tho it was so time consuming and my arm got really tired, - it was enchanting to be transported to earlier times and fascinating to see the names and how they repeated in each generation. I liked seeing where they lived - usually quite close by if not in the same village, guess that confirms "courting distance" the distance possible on foot or horse and cart.

                            Now we have decided to do the advanced Mitrochrondial DNA just cause we are curious about it. Found we were J haplogroup but guess this advanced test goes into more detail.
                            Has anyone else had this one done? Think it is fairly new.

                            Genetic Genealogy is the new frontier and the future.

                            helene

                            <bill.tarkulich@ ...> wrote:

                            > Doris,
                            > Many people on these groups generously offer to translate brief
                            documents
                            > for nothing but a "thank you." Can you scan and post the document
                            somewhere
                            > on the internet for the group to see?
                            >

                            > Bill

                          • Paw1776
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                              Hi Helene:

                              Hmmm...births in February. That would have meant they were conceived in May/June. Easier for young couples to get together from distant villages as the weather was nicer, find a quiet spot behind the barn, especially for those who ended up being illegitimate!!! Just a thought....

                              I had my brother do a DNA test and we are Haplogroup M170.

                              Polly Russinik Walker

                            • nilo3rak
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                Hi Helen,

                                I had my complete mitochondrial DNA - all 16559 base pairs - tested.
                                Surprisingly I am a relatively rare haplogroup W1. From Ian Logan,
                                "Haplogroup W is an 'old' Indo-European group, nowadays found in:
                                Spain, Finland, Poland, Iran, India, Pakistan and Thailand."
                                Other female ancestors are haplogroup H, which is common for Eastern
                                European women.
                                On the male side all are R1a (M17) The current distribution of this
                                haplotype is likely to represent traces of an ancient population
                                migration originating in southern Russia/Ukraine, where M17 is found
                                at high frequency (over 50%). Around 3,000 BC the horse was
                                domesticated here, enabling further migration. The distribution and
                                age of M17 in Europe and Central/South Asia is consistent with the
                                inferred movements of these people,the Kurgans, who left archeological
                                remains. They spoke an early Indo-European language, protypical Indo
                                European, i.e., Aryan. And there you have it! We Slavs are the
                                original Indo-Europeans,the Aryans that Hitler mistakenly claimed as
                                his own, while he methodically set upon a course of genocide for not
                                only the Jews, but all Slavs.

                                Genealogically, my father's yDNA can be used to see if other current
                                holders of the surname in the ancestral village are related to him.
                                Church records are incomplete. So now I just need money and some DNA
                                samples from Slovakia to continue my search for more of my family.

                                Carolyn

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                  Doris,

                                  To my knowledge, most of the local Germans in Gross-Schuetzen adopted the Slovak language in the early 19th century. Schmaus is definitly a German name.

                                  Whether your ancestors in the 19th century felt Slovak or German/Austrian, or, owing to the Magyarization policies in school, as Magyars, only your research can tell. Often, a hint is which churches or associations the ancestor joined once in the US, since churches and clubs often had a strong ethnic character.

                                • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009

                                  • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009

                                    • bemimitwo@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                        HELENE,
                                        WHAT IS THIS TEST?
                                        Is there some site i can read about it?
                                        Thanks Jennifer

                                      • Michael Mojher
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                          Helene,
                                          I have had a 37 marker DNA test done. With this 37 markers test I have had only one close match and no matches. Where with the 12 marker test there were many matches. So it does make a big difference to have the larger DNA marker tests done. Even with the 12 marker test I only had two matches in Slovakia. At the time only 352 people in Slovakia had been tested. In England I had over 600 matches with the 12 marker test.
                                          My haplogroup was a R1b1b2. About 45% of all Europeans belong to the R1 haplogroup.
                                          Should we start a thread on S-R to see how many members have had DNA tests done and what their finds are? Since both sides of my family are from Slovakia I thought I might have a more unique haplogroup. I found out otherwise.
                                          Michael

                                          <bill.tarkulich@ ...> wrote:

                                          > Doris,
                                          > Many people on these groups generously offer to translate brief
                                          documents
                                          > for nothing but a "thank you." Can you scan and post the document
                                          somewhere
                                          > on the internet for the group to see?
                                          >

                                          > Bill

                                        • Frank R Plichta
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                            Michael, Helen et al,

                                            Both sides of my family (paternal and maternal) are from Eastern Slovakia
                                            and I have confirmed both family lines back to the mid 1750's. Fortunately,
                                            there wasn't any movement by either side of the family until they came to
                                            America in the early 1900's.

                                            My question is this: With so few folks having been tested what is this
                                            really going to tell us? I understand that this is just starting, and so
                                            the population of tested individuals is relatively small. I understand the
                                            cost for some of the tests is rather significant especially if you get the
                                            big test with all the markers. What would I hope to learn about my family
                                            since I have already confirmed where they have been for the past 253 years.

                                            Frank Plichta

                                            "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                              Frank,

                                              I have taken the Sorenson's DNA for their world wide project and I also had
                                              myself tested with Genebase and Ancestry.com. I can trace my maternal side to
                                              the Ukraine and I am an H1. I am anxiously waiting for another H1 from the
                                              same region to see if our backgrounds are similar and where we originated.

                                              Basia

                                            • Marianna
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                I sent in my DNA swabs from myself and my brother for both tests. I haven’t
                                                heard anything after 8 weeks, though it was supposed to be only about 6
                                                weeks for results. Perhaps the holidays have delayed things. My maternal
                                                Scots roots have been relatively easy to trace, but I had the tests done
                                                because my paternal Slovak roots are giving me fits. My Hancin (gf) and
                                                Lodnan (gm) grandparents were from the village of Stara Bystrica just in
                                                case anyone has clues for me. Will let you know about my DNA results when
                                                they arrive. I’m learning a lot from you wonderful researchers. Thanks.

                                                Marianna Hancin

                                                Glendale, Arizona

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                  Frank,
                                                  I am like you, having both sides of my family being Slovak. The four of them ended up in Olyphant, PA. In Slovakia they all lived within 25 miles of one another. My family trees keep growing. My oldest find is in 1695. So your question resonates with me, why DNA testing since I seem to have found my roots.
                                                  For me it was curiosity. I wanted to see where my roots go. With DNA you can go back tens of thousands of years. Not to a specific individual, but to an area. Our family trees that go back a few hundred years literally is just scratching the surface. Our capabilities to go back further with records is very short. We happen to be incredibly lucky because records have been kept in Slovakia for a very long time compared to other countries. Still, one would be very lucky to find much beyond 1600. My paternal records in Plavnica do go back into the 1400's. Back that far is good for surnames, not much else since detailed records from year to year do not go anywhere that far back.
                                                  With my DNA test the path out of Africa that my genealogy has taken has been an interesting one. From Africa to the Middle East then the close to India then swinging up towards Finland and finally coming into Eastern Europe.
                                                  When I began my genealogy research I happen to learn about a group of people called the Plavici who settled in the 1200's in Hungary. Further research told me they were know as the Cumani and came from a group of people that lived on the Yellow River below Mongolia. A cousin had some extensive blood work done and the doctors were surprised that this blond, blue-eyed woman had an Asian blood type. It appeared we might have some Cumani DNA. Well, my test showed I'm not Cumani.
                                                  Then the future of genealogy is DNA. I have done the 37 marker test. Present cost $259. When I get a match with someone the chances for us sharing a common ancestor can be within a few hundred years and possibly much closer. This DNA tests like those old records are going into databases that will make it possible for future generations to find their roots. In the mean time it is rather fun to see where new matches are coming from. At the 12 marker level there are all sorts of matches because with a match our shared common ancestor goes back several thousand years. Within the 12 marker matches I have been matched to more people in Wales than any other country. Slovakia has had some 350 take the test. I only matched to two of them.
                                                  You might consider taking the money for the DNA test and put it towards a professional genealogist doing a search for you. What you are going to find is that $260 does not buy that many days of research. I would guess between 1 1/2 to 3. If you are fortunate and the search is not to difficult you may get a 2 to 4 generation tree. The genealogist can give you the micro view of your genealogy. DNA gives you a macro view.
                                                  Of course as the technology gets better the cost of the test will drop also. Or the tests will be even more sophisticated.
                                                  http://www.familytreedna.com/faq.aspx This is a link to the FAQ's at my test companies website. It may give you some answers.
                                                  Michael Mojher

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
                                                    The Mongol warriors invaded Europe in the 13th century spread their seed among the populace.� Many Eastern Europeans are decedents of these warriors. If you are interested in knowing if you are descended from an anonymous warrior, a DNA test should be able to confirm that.

                                                    If anybody is interested in this part of Eastern European history, there is an interesting four part video entitled �Mongol Invasion of Europe� on Utube.� You can locate it on goggle.�