Re: [S-R] Slovak roots

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
      Sent from my iTouch

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
        Hello Don and welcome to the group.

        You are in luck. There are many resources and much available information.
        If you are willing to invest the time and effort, you can go a long way. I
        will provide some introductory material and links you should read
        completely.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

        While Ellis Island was not extant at this time, the port of NY was indeed a
        busy place for immigrant arrivals. Castle Garden was the immediate
        predecessor for New York.
        I would start with New York as the vast majority of immigrants landed here.
        So many immigration records have been indexed, filmed and scanned that
        asking the Dept. of Homeland security to do a search is no longer necessary
        if you are willing to do the research yourself. Have you spent any time at
        ellisisland.org searching through manifests? Have you considered a research
        request to the Dept. of Homeland Security? Were they naturalized?
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

        With regard to a birth certificate, there is little need for an official
        certificate if all you are doing is genealogy research. A certificate is
        used for official business, such as monetary transactions, naturalizations
        and the like. It is a sealed testamentary document. What you most likely
        need and want is the birth information, which is transcribed from a general
        ledger of births. The official keeper of these birth records at the time of
        interest was the church in/near the village of birth.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm

        A passport was never a big deal back in those times. The notion of
        "positive ID" did not exist as it does today. While required by law, most
        immigrants from rural villages did not hold a passport, since it was so
        difficult and lengthy a time to obtain, and was never a barrier for
        departure from upper Hungary during this period.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/document_examples.htm
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_ulic_valley_history.htm

        "High Class family" to use your words suggests someone who owned property,
        most often a nobleman, of greater or lesser nobility. If he was indeed a
        property owner, he would have been listed in the tax census. More likely,
        he was a lesser noble, as the noble class had little incentive to emigrate
        from their comfortable lives. Almost all noblemen lived in larger towns or
        cities. Entire organizations exist to help track noblemen. Nobles has good
        recordkeeping, since property was of real value, taxable and inheritable.
        The rest of us peasants had nothing and it wasn't until 1869 that the first
        complete population census (also available) included all peasants.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/nobility.htm

        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

        As You must know by now, knowing the place of origin of your immigrants is
        essential, as all data sources are indexed by place name.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

        LIPTOVSKY ST MICOLAS - Is most likely referring to present-day place name
        LIPTOVSKY MIKULAS, SLOVAKIA. You can find microfilm of the birth marriage
        and death records at the Family History Center of the Mormon Church,
        branches likely near where you live. You will be able to view images of
        these records yourself for the low price of a film record rental.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_resources.htm

        I will leave it to others in the group to help you along further. This is
        just a thumbnail of available resources.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/perspiration.htm

        Remember, to be successful, you must be methodical. You will pick up clues
        along your way, note each and every one of them. Do not discard any source
        without first examining it. Sometimes sources do not provide direct
        information, but perhaps a date range or place where an event may have
        occurred.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/inspiration.htm

        Good Luck,

        Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
          site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          >>> great-great grandparents came over from Levoca, Slovakia . . .
          in 1888 or 1889. <<<

          CENTER (FHC)
          The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
          for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
          collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
          Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you
          visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee
          (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and
          notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve
          the microfilm readers to view these records.

          There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most
          part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia
          or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about
          his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need
          groups like this to point you in the right direction.

          www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
          (zomreli).

          LDS has RC and Evangelical parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
          deaths, mixed marriages, for Levoèa, Slovakia, formerly known as
          Lõcse, Szepes, Hungary.

          >>> Paul Julius Kellner was born in Levoca, Slovakia and we are
          looking for Kellner relatives <<<
          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
          looking them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

          To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
          last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
          web page.

          Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

          Kellner(ova) appears 17X in current phone listings for Levoca.

          >>> Susanna Scholtz (Scolz) . . . she came back to USA later.
          This EI entry was headed for CT.
          Scholz, Susanna Tolfalu 16 1886 1902

          >>> Liptovsky St Micolas [sic] . . . We are also looking for
          relatives on her side of the family and her birth certificate.
          LDS has RC and Evangelical parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
          deaths for Liptovský Mikuláš, Slovakia, formerly Szent-Miklós, Liptó,
          Hungary.
        • treimer@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
            Dear Don,

            None of your ancestors knew of a "Slovakia"--they were German-Hungarians. Leutschau was founded by Germans, and remained so till the 19th century. You see, today's Slovakia was a multicultural area, with several old-stock ethnic groups.
            Both your ancestor names are German--and they went to Danbury, CT, a center of Carpathian German (not Slovak) immigration before World War I. We still hold meetings there once in a while.

            Thomas (Ancestors from Pressburg; Zipser Bela; Eisdorf)