Re: [S-R] Another newbie

  • aunttootie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      Helene -

      Thanks for the information!? I have no paperwork, just what?I've been able to find online and/or through the historical society in Trumbull County.? My older sister has a little information from our aunts - I had no contact with that side of the family as I'm many years younger than she and our father (William) died when I was quite small.? I do know that my grandmother (Mary) was Orthodox.? I have a vague memory of her, my grandfather died before I was born.?

      ?

      I've found immigration information?for Mary Koroly and her sister Anna, which is where the Tyuri Remety information came from.? ?I'm not sure where my sister got the Lwya Lipa - possibly from the aunts.? I haven't been able to find anything at all in eastern Europe with that name, and very limited information on my grandfather (mostly census).

      ?

      Terri

      Hi Terri - ? From the first names you can pretty well guess they were Rusyn. ? Where did the Lywa Lipa info come from? Usually no w's in Slovak language - but do find in Polish ? Do you have any documents or letters from the old country with a place name? Did you find any ancestors on Ellis Island ship records - sometimes show a village of origin. ? I found your Marakovich surname in our data base - listed as being from a village in old Sub-carpatho Rus (part of Czecho-Slovakia then Russia, now Ukraine. But it may not be that rare of a surname. ? Also have one listing for a Beskid surname. ? Wonder if your Turok Remete could be Blatne Remeti in old Uz county in far eastern Slovakia ? Jacig doesn't sound particularly Slovak - thinking areas adjacent ? The Beskid Mts?extend from Moravia to the far eastern tip of Slovakia?all along?the southern Polish border. They have various names like the Moravian- Silesian Beskydy, then in Slovakia the Kysuce Beskydy, the Oravske Beskydy, then in Poland?the Beskid Makowski, Beskid Sadecki and Beskid Niski (Lower) not sure how far they extend into northern Slovakia (look north of? Bardejov?as well as the?Bieszczad mts. at that magical corner where Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine come together - have always wanted to go there but likely it is atop a mountain and not accesible. I wondered why there were Beskydy mts in Moravian/Poland and in Slovakia/Poland too and was tonight was really amazed to see all the ranges named with variations of Beskid that ripple across these borders. ? - there was a lot of movement across the borders long ago as it was all part of the Austrian Empire. With the Rusyn first names sounds like they were in the area above Baredjov or further east in what was old Galicia. ? Good Luck! ? helene ? ? --- On Thu, 1/1/09, aunttootie <aunttootie@...> wrote: From: aunttootie <aunttootie@...> Subject: [S-R] Another newbie To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com Date: Thursday, January

      1, 2009, 10:52 PM Hello from Ohio. I've been trying to trace my paternal ancestors for a few years and haven't been able to get past my grandparents. I've found my grandfather, Vasil Beskit, listed as Charlie, Vasily, Lazlo (I think) and last names from Biskit to Bazkett. Anyway, here's what I've got: Vasil Charles Beskit, b. 29 Dec 1875 in Lywa Lipa (?), Austria Father - Wasil Beskit Mother - Theresa Marakovich Vasil was married in Europe but wife and child both died. He emigrated around 1899, and I think he settled in McKees Rocks PA for a time. On 6 May 1905 in St. John's church, McKees Rocks, he married Mary Koroly (b. 16 Feb 1886 in Turye Remeti Hungary). They had Alex, Katherina, Peter, William, Anna, Mary, Samuel, George, Julia, a stillborn son, and Olga. Alex, Pete and Bill used the surname Beckett and Alex went by "Bob". The family lived in Akron OH and Randolph OH before moving to Newton Falls OH. Vasil died 23 Oct 1947 in Warren OH. Mary died 5 Apr 1975 in Youngstown OH. Her parents were George Koroly and Anna Jacig. One story we received from a late aunt reads: "The name Beskit is from the Beskid Mountains in Austria-Hungary. The Beskit family is Slovak. Two of Wasils' and Theresa's granddaughters, Julie Beskit Archer (of Canfield) and Mary Beskit (of Akron) shared the following memories that their father, Demitri Beskit, passed down to them: Wasil Beskit had a farm in the foothills of the Beskid Mountains. He was a livestock broker who raised and sold oxen, cows, sheep and horses. He did not raise hogs. When people needed animals for their farm they would purchase them from him. When a couple married, they would need a team of oxen to plow their garden. Livestock delivery was done on foot. His sons helped him deliver the animals. They also took the animals to market in big cities. They walked with the animals, or perhaps rode a wagon. Along the way friendly people would put them up for the night and feed them. This t

      ype of hospitality was commonly practiced at this time. The next day they would continue on their journey. Wasil and Theresa had at least ten children. Two sons immigrated to the United States of America: Wasil and Demitri." The Demitri she references also used the names Daniel and Metro. Anyway, I have several questions but will start with - is/was there a village named Lwya Lipa? And given the information I have, is my heritage Slovak as she states, Rusyn, Hungarian - or what? I think the more I find, the more confused I get. Thanks so much for any help you can offer! Terri [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------ To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/ To unsubscribe from this group, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-digest@yahoogroups.com mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        >>> Vasil Charles Beskit, b. 29 Dec 1875 in Lywa Lipa (?), Austria
        >>> he married Mary > Koroly (b. 16 Feb 1886 in Turye Remeti Hungary).
        >>> is/was there a village named Lwya Lipa? <<<

        We have a partial answer:
        >>> he married Mary Koroly . . . in Turye Remeti Hungary<<<
        Turye Remeti Hungary: Turja-Remete, Ung Megye, today Turi Remety,
        Ukraine. 19 miles NNW of Mukacheve (Munkacs), 15 miles ENE of Uzhhorod
        (Ungvar). 48°43' N, 22°36' E

        If there are cousins on the Slovak side of the border, they would be in
        area code 056, around Sobrance, where Korolova does appear in current
        phone listings. It would be a difficult hike across the mountains to
        Turi Remety, Ukraine.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          >>> he married Mary Koroly (b. 16 Feb 1886 in Turye Remeti Hungary). <<<

          See it on the 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg

          Look on the right side in the rusty-pink area, two villages southeast
          east of Perecseny.
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            Hi Terri -

            One of our Slovak Heritage Society members just sent me new info on his roots in Galicia/Poland and he poipointed the village names - i asked if he would share his tips with us - might help you! Pretty sure you are from that region.

            There are many Rusyns there and some Orthodox - a very complicated story. In the tiny village of Jedlinka near the Polish border there are two churches - a historic wooden Rusyn church and a new Orthodox church - after the war the Rusyns were persecuted as the Russians wanted them to convert to Orthodox. In Jedlinka the Rusyn congregation split with 12 families going to the new small Orthodox church and 12 staying with the ancient church, a historic national treasure.

            have you tried this site
            www.shtetlseekier.com - sometimes helps with this difficult id questions.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              We have established one village name. Now, let's follow then clues
              and see if we can figure out the other.

              >>> Lywa Lipa (?),
              >>> from the Beskid Mountains in Austria-Hungary. The Beskit family
              is Slovak.
              >>> had a farm in the foothills of the Beskid Mountains.
              >>> is/was there a village named Lwya Lipa?

              1) Is it Lywa or Lwya? Could be Lwow.
              2) Can we see any source document for the village name?
              3) It could be near the previously identified Ukrainian village,
              keeping in mind that the 2nd marriage was in USA.
              4) Someone familiar with village names in Galicia probably has
              the answer. My guess is Lipa, west of Bircza, Poland. 49°43' N 22°23'

              CURRENT MAP

            • vchromoho
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2009
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
                wrote:

                > We have established one village name. Now, let's follow then clues
                > and see if we can figure out the other.

                > is Slovak.
                >
                > 1) Is it Lywa or Lwya? Could be Lwow.
                > 2) Can we see any source document for the village name?
                > 3) It could be near the previously identified Ukrainian
                village,
                > keeping in mind that the 2nd marriage was in USA.
                > 4) Someone familiar with village names in Galicia probably has
                > the answer. My guess is Lipa, west of Bircza, Poland. 49°43' N 22°
                23'

                > CURRENT MAP
                > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                >
                > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest, Multimap or Google.

                Pavlo Chuchka's _Prizvyshcha zakarpats'kykh ukrayintsiv_ (Surnames
                of Transcarpathian Ukrainians) shows the surname Beskyd in Uzhhorod
                and Perechyn raions/districts of the Zakarpatska oblast. (I think
                Turia Remety is in the Perechyn raion.) In those raions there are
                villages named:

                Lubnia
                Liuta
                Luh
                Lintsi
                Liakhovtsi
                Lumshory
                Likitsary
                Lypovets'

                Lypovets', Likitsary, and Lumshory are in the Turia river valley not
                far from Turia Remety. The others are somewhat further away but
                remote if you look at the geography.

                What Helene said about their first names is right on. Slovaks would
                not have named their children Vasil or Dimitri. Nor did Slovaks join
                the Orthodox Church in the U.S. except in a few cases in the 1930s,
                to the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese.

                RDC
              • aunttootie
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Thank you all for the information! I've been so immersed in the
                  websites you've posted that I haven't even thanked you, and for that I
                  apologize.

                  I've already learned so much on this list, and I'm looking forward to
                  learning more! I do have a photo of my grandparents and most of their
                  children that I'll put in the photos folder.

                  Again, thanks!!!

                  Terri