Newbie here to say hello

  • momsbeenscrappin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello all and Happy New Year from New Jersey, USA! My name is Doris and
      I'm interested in doing some research on my grandparents Stephen and
      Anna Peller Schmaus. It took me many years to find them in the Ellis
      Island records, and from here is the only information I have of their
      life before the US:
      Stefan Schmausz born in May 1883 in Nagylevard Hungary, but lists his
      ethnicity as Slovakian. I can't read the town/village he last resided
      in on the manifest. His wife Anna Smaus and daughter Antonia joined
      him 4 months later, and their ship manifests indicate the same. As I'm
      sure was common, there are two different spellings of the last name.
      When they came to the US, they settled first in Hoboken NJ, then to
      Jersey City, NJ and always used the spelling of Schmaus.

      What I would like to know is what this village may be called now and
      how to go about locating some birth or marriage documents.

      I look forward to reading your suggestions, help and direction.

      Doris
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hi Doris

        The village of NAGY LEVARD (Hungarian name) is known as VELKE LEVARE in
        Slovak and GROSSSCHUTZEN in German. I would highly recommend Bill Tarkulich's
        Eastern Slovakia Research Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_
        (http://www.iabsi.com) as a guide to your research. His site has excellent tips and points
        to a number of different resources. I hope that this helps.

        Best regards,

        David Baloga

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          hi Doris -

          Your ancestral place is now called Velke Levare - it was in old Bratislava county and is quite famous for ceramic making by the Haban people who settled there. They were Anabaptists from Italy and Switzerland and with the German sounding surname your ancestors may have been part of it, tho there were many people of German descent in the southwestern corner of what is now Slovakia over the centuries.

          I think the LDS plans to film the Bratislava archive or may be in process but will take a good bit of time to get those records available. There are genealogists who could access the info as most of the records before 1895 are in the main archives.

          Good Luck - i will check our 28,000 Slovak ancestral surname data base for your Schmausz name.

          helene

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
            Thank you all for the warm welcome and information. Now I have a
            place to start as suggested below, but I'm sure I'll have lots of
            questions. I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting
            started.
            Thanks again, Doris